Which? - most unreliable car

EH 370z

Hey, you still with us Toby?

Unfortunatly yes. My application has been delayed again, by poor Managment and understaffing in the provincial government. Been sat at home for months now waiting for my matching orders which sounds great but I'm climbing the f£@king walls to be honest :rant:

You alright Stew? How's the super mod scooter scene??

surprising....you would think the more expensive cars should be more reliable

This survey means nothing though. They took 40,000 cars and did a survey from that. Hardly a representation of the country and there are a lot of bmws on the road.

The only surprise is that it isn't an Audi. I see more broken 2 year old Audis than anything else.

I think long gone are the days when German cars were widely regarded as being more reliable then other manufactorers. Only the other year we saw on the news no end of Audi`s and VW`s having problems - especially with coil packs etc...

More recently when I was looking to change my car I looked at Mercedes, in particular the C220 CDI and that kinda range and the amount of bad customer reviews I read really put me off buying a Mercedes full stop. That and the fact my friend has both an E class and an SLK and has had no end of problems with both.

But then again, a friend of mine who works for the AA says the most reliable cars he knows are the Peugeot 307 HDI like my old shed is and the Golf TDI. Apparently the Clio is the most common car to breakdown according to him.

The more common the car, the more likely they are to break down. Simple maths.

Same reason you see more modern cars than older ones broken down by the side of the road: There's few older cars left, and there's more cars out there in general now anyway. Surveys like this are interesting, but nothing more than that IMHO.

There is probably a correlation with the kind of people that own a particular car model - the people I know owning Clios are not the kind that would spend much on maintenance, for various reasons. I wouldn't generalize this to the general Clio owning population, but that's what my statistical sample would indicate.

But that makes it far worse that expensive cars like beemers or mercs or audis (who you'd expect to be regularly maintained) are getting to the top of the breakdown probability.

That's not quite true - perhaps you meant "The more common the car, the more likely you are to notice one break down." That's a completely different thing to the chance of a particular model of a car breaking down during a time of ownership. The article talks about "average number of days per year spent in the garage" which is independent of the amount of the particular model of cars on the road.

It was the diesel particulate filter that caused most of the bother, dealers usual answer was take for a good run but most days I was doing 80 miles on motorway clear driving.

The clutch a flywheel also went @65 k but that was apparently unusual, luckily I was not paying for it as it a big bill

BMW - owned 6 months - £380 oil filter housing

Merc - owned 4 weeks - new radiator, new electrical board, replaced gearbox, now making horrific noise from condenser £1500

Alfa - owned 3 weeks - EML came on, squeaks like a mouse over every bump...........but I do love it so :cloud9:

Audi TT - ..........will not break!

But is the new 3 series convertible more "common" than vectras, astras, mondeos, clios and all the other cheap main stream cars out there? Sure, theres a lot of bmw`s on the road now, but im pretty sure i see more non 3 series convertibles than i do 3 series convertibles.

I see what your saying, but if you think there are probably an equal-ish number of mondeo`s, vectras, astra`s, focus`s, bmw 3 series, etc. etc. on the road, the fact that (for example), less Peugeot 307`s break down than say a Clio is probably a fair comparison.

A5 with multi tonic gearbox was a friggin nightmare, DPF filter constantly lighting up the dash (granted the missus did 18mile a day in it) but it dropped its gearbox at 35k :headhurt: thankfully still in extended warranty

My buddy is Audi engineer and it's normally 40k he was telling me the multronic box got issues :scare:

So much for German Engineering :thumbdown: So I bought a Zed instead :teeth:

But is the new 3 series convertible more "common" than vectras, astras, mondeos, clios and all the other cheap main stream cars out there? Sure, theres a lot of bmw`s on the road now, but im pretty sure i see more non 3 series convertibles than i do 3 series convertibles.

I see what your saying, but if you think there are probably an equal-ish number of mondeo`s, vectras, astra`s, focus`s, bmw 3 series, etc. etc. on the road, the fact that (for example), less Peugeot 307`s break down than say a Clio is probably a fair comparison.

Depends on whether the owners of those cars can be arsed to do a questionnaire for Which? or not.

You must see more non-3 series convertibles than 3 series convertibles, because I can't believe for one second that all the 3SC in the country number more than the combined mass of Audi, Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot etc droptops combined ;) I see what you're trying to say, but the 3-series is the single biggest seller in the UK now and has been for some years.

The fact a car with a complicated convertible roof mechanism is off the road for repairs for longer than the saloon/coupe equivalent should be of no surprise to anyone. Also if the 107 is super-reliable then the Aygo and C1 should be in the exact same spot, seeing as how they're the same car made in the same factory. It's little things like that that make me rubbish any of these surveys, as they're just too limited in scope.

92%* of 350z-uk members think Ricey is a nasty mentalist.**

*17 people surveyed.

** 15 of these people had been flamed by Ricey previously.

;)

I'm not nasty, I'm nice I am :surrender:

I drive a diesel and care for the furry creatures in life.

Its not my fault some people are hopeless bellends that need a good verbal thrashing from a Shaolin keyboard warrior. :evil: