Parking Sensors

Nico

Hi all,

Looking to fit some reverse parking sensors and was looking at some from http://www.parkingdynamics.co.uk/ as they offer solutions which don't require any drilling through the bumper.

I've seen a decent fitting guide for one of their solutions here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=45649

However, I'm not confident enough (yet) to go about removing by bumper and fiddling with the lights/wiring to setup something like this myself and was wondering if anyone could recommend a 350z friendly garage that will install some sensors (either these, or other highly recommended brands)

I've fired some emails to Horsham developments and a few general local garages, I just thought it couldn't hurt to ask on the forum :p

Nico

Before you get them installed look at getting a second antenna. I've just had mine installed and the body shop said they aren't as strong, detection wise, as the optional extras sold by Nissan. I'm yet to need to reverse into a space so not tested them fully yet.

First thing I did when I bought my car is take apart my boot and disconnect the stupid parking sensors that were built in. Never found it a problem to park a relatively small car and the deafening Nissan beeping every time you stick it in reverse was giving me a proper head ache.

• 8 months later...

I had some aftermarket rear parking sensors installed when I bought the car, but they do not match the paint work. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you simply spray over them with the correct paint code to match them?

I had some aftermarket rear parking sensors installed when I bought the car, but they do not match the paint work. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you simply spray over them with the correct paint code to match them?

Yes you can, my local car stereo retailer supplied, sprayed and fitted the sensors to match my gun metal Zed (and have done same on some of my previous cars too).

As standard parking sensors are generally black plastic and they are then painted to body colour. BUT, and I am wandering now into pure speculation, it MAY be that you have to take them apart to paint. Reason I said that is most (possibly all) parking sensors I've seen look to be made up of an inner cylinder and an outer shell and I don't know if they are/can be sprayed as a single item.

Am sure your parking aid/sensor retailer will advise you on the procedure.

David

Anyone have any experience of these? http://www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/ I was thinking of Kit #2. I recently backed into an 18" post that I simply couldn't see, cracked my carbon fibre diffuser and also backed Caroline's Zed into a low wall, just touched it so luckily no damage.

Pete

As a reference point the supplied, colour coded and fitted price for mine was £165.

Sensors were from Steelmate (this is the second car I've used Steelmate on without any issues) and fitting took around an hour by my local stereo installer. No visual monitor - audible beeper only mounted in the inner face of the rear of the boot.

Anyone have any experience of these? http://www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/ I was thinking of Kit #2. I recently backed into an 18" post that I simply couldn't see, cracked my carbon fibre diffuser and also backed Caroline's Zed into a low wall, just touched it so luckily no damage.

Pete

Might be cheaper Pete -

http://www.specsavers.co.uk

:sorry:

Edited by spursmaddave
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I got a set of aftermarket ones for ours from Dolphin Parking Systems. They do a lot of colours and the grey is an excellent (I cant tell any difference and neither could the guys at CS when they fitted) match to the gunmetal of our car. Obviously different colours might not match so well. But they use a grey 350z on their website to show the colour match. Works very well but is quite loud, would recommend it.

Hawker

I've fitted sensors and a camera on my 370z (I only fitted the 2 outside sensors because the camera covers the middle).

In fact, I first put sensors on my campervan a couple of years ago too. They are the type where you drill holes into the bumper. They are cheap as chips (currently £14.95) and they work brilliantly. The silver matches my 370z perfectly. The kit comes with a 22mm hole saw which cuts through the bumper brilliantly and ensures a perfect fit. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Why pay £80 (or much more) when you can do it yourself for under 15 quid? I don't get it.

DSCF0604.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

Here's the ebay link - CLICK HERE

The only thing I'd be careful of is making sure the holes don't go through to somewhere inaccessible.

...and the instructions say that it's possible to respray them ONCE.

+1 on camera if you have a headunit to match. I think mine cost about £25 all in, plus some free advice off here. I'm a non-mechanical type and got the fear on bumper removal, but it was actually relatively straight forward in the end. I've found sensors (admittedly on other cars) a bit paranoid, prefer being able to see than pestered by beeps. Boot loads of detail here.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56481-kenwood-ddx-4028bt-rear-cam-install-–-superguide/

No bumper removal needed with my camera - it just replaces one of the rear numberplate lamps and is a simple as winking to install - and it has a housing for the existing numberplate light so you've still got 2 lights and are able to pass the mot.

• 1 month later...