I've got that need for speed

jinxy

Had the zed for about 9 months now and found it to be a very competent gt car that looks great and sounds better. But I feel it is underpowered, I wish I didn't because I love everything else about it.

It may be its progressive power delivery instead of turbo/vtec that I have had previously that makes it feel slower than it actually is.

I have looked into tuning options but short of expensive forced induction mods that would give the power that I am after I don't see anything cost effective that I can do.

Always had an itch in the form of a Mitsubishi Evo that I have always wanted to scratch... Would I regret it? Does anyone have any experience?

Ricey had one I think :thumbs:

Personally I would not give up the comfort that the Zed has for a bone shaker that may be faster. Why not keep the Zed and get a Westfield or such like for the weekend?

Hope you have checked the insurance on an Evo...comes up x3 times more expensive than a Zed for me :scare:

And of course, you need to service it every 6 months...

I understand where you are coming from, Evos do look mental good fun, but I am still sticking with the Zed :thumbs:

Ricey had one I think :thumbs:

Personally I would not give up the comfort that the Zed has for a bone shaker that may be faster. Why not keep the Zed and get a Westfield or such like for the weekend?

Yeah, that is what I would be worried about. Loosing the comfort and comparative luxury and good looks of the zed for the extra performance that I desire.

I think I miss the acceleration of the superbikes that I used to own, maybe asking too much for a car to replace that? Can't really afford to run 2 cars so need 1 to do everything.

Hope you have checked the insurance on an Evo...comes up x3 times more expensive than a Zed for me :scare:

And of course, you need to service it every 6 months...

I understand where you are coming from, Evos do look mental good fun, but I am still sticking with the Zed :thumbs:

Yeah, done the quotes and specced it up. Would cost me approx £3000 inc increase in insurance to swap for a 320BHP-ish Evo 8. Spending £3000 in upgrades to the zed just wouldn't cut it. Would would I need to spend? £8k++ for forced induction?

I do relatively low miles too so servicing costs etc would be reduced.

Ive just sold my evo and bought the zed and still dont regret it. It had 390hp and was pretty quick. A good bit quicker than the zed but to be honest i prefer driving the zed. The evo always felt like it was trying to kill you :lol: i had alot of good times and alot Of expensive times aswell. Everything seems to be really expensive for it and there always something needing done to it

Ive just sold my evo and bought the zed and still dont regret it. It had 390hp and was pretty quick. A good bit quicker than the zed but to be honest i prefer driving the zed. The evo always felt like it was trying to kill you :lol: i had alot of good times and alot Of expensive times aswell. Everything seems to be really expensive for it and there always something needing done to it

I think maybe that is the thrill that I am after?!

You say it was expensive? What sort of things needed doing? Was it spent on mods or just general maintainance?

Not sure if I could live with the boy racer image either but I still can't shake the idea of owning one.

Get a TVR if you want thrill :thumbs:

You hit the nail on the head. My dream car - would have a Tuscan/T350 in a shot but can't afford one (to run/rebuild one!). So for now they are off limits! Just hope there are some left when I can afford one!

i found the zed the same as you, thats why i sold it

never looked back

dabbled with an S2000 for a year, was a great car, for personal reasons i prefered it to the zed. but my best move yet has been the XKR :teeth:

ok so its a bit more of a luxo barge but as i'd cut down on the track work i didn't need a track car.

as for the zed FI could be done for less, just dpends on how practical you are.

Get a TVR if you want thrill :thumbs:

You hit the nail on the head. My dream car - would have a Tuscan/T350 in a shot but can't afford one (to run/rebuild one!). So for now they are off limits! Just hope there are some left when I can afford one!

Genuinely wondering if they are that much more costly than an evo though :shrug:

Genuinely wondering if they are that much more costly than an evo though :shrug:

Purchase price is more, ones I have seen are £20k+ and running costs have got to be more I would have thought? Also don't like the idea of having the thought of a £8k engine rebuild.

That's pretty much what one of my friends said about his. Had his Zed for track work. The Evo, only a couple of years old now, "fast tin can", not nice to drive. His words.

We run an Impreza STi alongside my 911 & MX-5, Jo uses it as her daily driver doing a 60 miles commute every day. There are details elsewhere on here, but it's very much comparable to an Evo: Late blobeye model with DCCD (diff control), and with the PPP it's putting out over 320bhp. Suffice to say, it shifts.

Pros:

It shifts. Like really shifts. It rarely feels anything other than ballistic, and the amount of grip you can get out of it is staggering. It's not quicker than my 911, but by god does it feel like it is.

The noise. That flat-four burble at idle is lush. An Evo just sounds like a very loud Golf GTi.

Practicality. The boot is HUGE, and it'll fit four adults in comfort. It's not a big car though, smaller than a current Mondeo by some way.

Handling. Beautiful, for a turbo nutter barge. You can feel the edge of grip wonderfully, and sliding it is a choice that you can make or you can exploit the 4x4 stuff for immense grip.

Seats. I love the STi buckets more than I'd love my first born.

Cons:

Fuel. It is thirsty, and even on a motorway run she's lucky to see 24mpg out of it. In that sense it's comparable to a Zed, but when you nail it you can practically watch the gauge drop. Single figure MPG isn't even a challenge.

Interior. Those plastics are awful, but so are all Jap plastics of that vintage, Zed included. These are worse than the 350 though.

Image. Possibly, if you care about such a thing. There's a huge difference between a bloke driving one of these and a woman though, as Jo gets loads of very positive attention when she's driving it from both sexes.

Against a Zed, it would be far quicker and it would feel far quicker. It takes more commitment to drive one on the ragged edge than it does a Zed, as you're relying on the 4WD and clever diff trickery to heave you out of a corner when you mash the pedal, and while I've never been caught out yet there's always that initial fear of "Have I pressed the pedal too early?" and worrying you're going to be chucked into a ditch. It's a good kind of fear though, and one which is replaced by adrenaline as soon as the tyres hook up and you're grabbing for 3rd gear. There's precious little finesse to be had from trying to balance the car on the throttle in the same way you can a Zed, but that's the nature of the elasticity of all turbo cars and it's the price you pay for that sheer grunt in the mid-range.

The Impreza and the Evo are very similar, so much of what I've said above applies to both cars. The Evo does need servicing twice as often and is worse on fuel, however it's got a better image and is fractionally the quicker of the two if you're comparing like for like cars. You don't get that noise though! On a twisty road, and assuming equal driver talent relative to the cars, then an Impreza/Evo is going to leave a 350Z for dust, but if you're prepared to work the gearbox on the Zed then a decently drive one will keep an Evo honest. A lot of people (not specifically you Jinxy) these days seem to be afraid of banging into the limiter on the Zed, but it's what you have to do to make it really sing as a car. Mid range pull is acceptable for what it is, but if you really wind the neck out then it will respond and come alive.

If you put a gun to my head and told me to have one or the other, then I would say the Impreza. I loved my Zed, but I enjoy my cars most when they feel a bit Jekyll and Hyde. The Zed is more composed, the Impreza more mental, and that's where my money would go.

I have owned 2 imprezas and a 350Z and now a 370Auto and if I was asked which is the best all round car I would have to say the 370 by a large margin. Its not really fair to compare them though because the nissans are sports cars in the traditional fashion ie rear wheel drive with big engines and the Imprezas are hot hatches.

If i was going on a 300 miles lesiurely but speedy drive I would take the 370. If i was going on a 50 mile spirited drive around country roads I would take the Impreza as they say horses for courses.

I have known several top rally drivers in NI who rally imprezas but would never dream of having one as their road car.

My 370 or my 350 would have pulled away from 20mph in a high gear quite speedily but the Impreza if you dropped to 20mph and tried to pull away in a high gear Bradley would have passed me on his bicycle so is the nature of turbo and non turbo high torque cars.

I would as Dan does like to own both cars.

Interesting comments by both Ekona & wesmin.

Reading into it the comments I think I can live with the negative (maintenance/fuel economy/interior) for the trade off for the performance and more of a rush driving.

Ekona - I considered the Impreza but I would want the PPP STi that I found harder to come by and was quite a lot higher to insure due to the "modifications" even though they are factory fit. I am still considering a WR1 though as in it's "standard" form it has similar output to the FQ Evo - 320-ish BHP.

wesmin - 370Z would be a possibility but too expensive at the moment and I think I am after another turbo powered car.

Brother has a 360hp Evo8, its different but equally cool. Fuel and servicing are about the only reasons I dont buy it off of him ........... personally I prefer Evo's to Scoob as well, they feel more driver orientated to me (more communicative and without the :yuck: understeer) :thumbs:

If you just want thrilling and fast, buy a Supra, FD RX, 200SX, Soarer or Chaser and take it up over 400hp :)