Is a Zed that uneconomical?

spursmaddave

Just drove a hired Petrol Vauxhaul Insingnia from London to Newcastle in 4.5hrs so normal motorway speeds and it achieved.... 34.5mpg :surrender:

I have done the same journey in my Zed and got 33mpg :shrug:

A while back I had a Hyundai i30 petrol hire car and that did barely 35mpg as well....

Good job they have "change gear" lights to help achieve their fantastic performance figures... :angry:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once got 36mpg believe it or not. All my cards got frozen due to a false alarm fraud stop thingy (cheers for that Co-operative Bank), so I had to get from Staines to Cambridge on an indicated 1/8th of a tank. We all know the fuel gauge isn't the most accurate, so I figured I ought to give myself a fighting chance and hypermile it. It was simultaneously incredibly boring and incredibly stressful and I would never drive like that again unless forced to, but it can be done.

DB

I hate that,when you see someone a long way behind the car in front,but as soon as that car in front touches the brakes,thats it,emergency stop time! Really gets me riled up,as thats what causes accidents and jams! :rant:

I keep a safe distance from the car in front,but if the lights come on, I assess how much the car is slowing down,if at all really,and adjust,or not,my position accordingly.

There should be no real need to use the brakes on the motorway,unless all the cars have stopped. I just use the cruise control button to keep my position.

Best iv seen on a run to Cornwall was 32mpg.

So I have to ask why do people buy chip fat (aka diesel) burning cars... when the modern diesel engine is loaded with technology to enable it to nearly replicate a petrol engine causing it to be less reliable and more expensive to run and service..let alone the smell and noise they make? When you can have a reasonably economic large capacity petrol engine that can return over 30 to the gallon and give enjoyment too........

Just drove a hired Petrol Vauxhaul Insingnia from London to Newcastle in 4.5hrs so normal motorway speeds and it achieved.... 34.5mpg :surrender:

I have done the same journey in my Zed and got 33mpg :shrug:

A while back I had a Hyundai i30 petrol hire car and that did barely 35mpg as well....

Good job they have "change gear" lights to help achieve their fantastic performance figures... :angry:

Yes :lol:

I fill my dads car up with the diesel, tank size is similar. His does 600-650 to the yellow light. Mine does 350 to the yellow light. :headhurt:

Never reset the trip on mine, and can't get it over 24 :( But I guess that is a pretty good over mixed road driving?

Anyway, its not like we expect fantastic MPG when we buy them is it ?

This may be a stupid question but if you never reset the trip doesnt it just stay the same?

So I have to ask why do people buy chip fat (aka diesel) burning cars... when the modern diesel engine is loaded with technology to enable it to nearly replicate a petrol engine causing it to be less reliable and more expensive to run and service..let alone the smell and noise they make? When you can have a reasonably economic large capacity petrol engine that can return over 30 to the gallon and give enjoyment too........

Because if your doing 1000+ miles in a week I would want something that does 50mpg or close to it. The diesel engines arent made to replicate the petrol engine, I'd maybe say the opposite. Diesels have powerful (torquey) engines because of turbo's and other clever designs. They are made to make effortless progress as the low rpm's is where the power is. The makes town driving and over taking easy and negates have to constantly change gear. But arguably less fun on the b road but I can still get my kicks. :lol:

Its down to driving style, on the motorway i am not on and off the pedal constantly like some.... One pet hate is drivers that are constantly on the brakes as they are too close to the car in front :angry:

Yes, it's the constant on/off technique that knocks your MPG down. No need for it, doesn't get you there any quicker :shrug: . It also reduces the life of your brakes and increases your chance of running into the back of another car. It amazes me that some people will spend hundreds of £'s on super duper cleaning products yet drive right up peoples rear ends ensuring that they pick up the maximum number of stonechips possible :shrug:

Pete

Because that's a small price to pay for twice the MPG if you're doing big miles?

I had an Insingnia soot chucker as a hire car on a trip to Cornwall and got nearly 70mpg so the Petrol v Diesel argument is slightly moot....

I think the new 'eco' petrol engines (1.6, 1.8, 2.0 etc) are more economical around town etc these days but when you get up to motorway speeds (70-80mph) they struggle. The Insignia I have now has 6 gears and tells to to change up as soon as you go near the pedal.... The engine sounds awful, no turbo but it feels like the accelerator and the engine are in different time zones.... All that and only a couple of mpg more than my Zed :shrug:

I was impressed with my SC'd Zed at the weekend. I drove from my house to Newquay (370 miles) on one tank of petrol!! I never normally get more than 300 on a tank.

I was being very gentle on the throttle (as it was wet most of the journey) but wasn't hanging about once up to speed, still done it in 5.5 hours. :)

Only problem being I was on fumes when I got there and then had to drive another 10miles out of newquay to find some Super! :rant:

I have had 450 ish miles from a tank more than once in the Zed.

I never complained about the fuel usage. If you drive progressively then you get great returns. Constant speed adjusment and town driving kills it though as there is a lot of weight to shift!