Urgent advice needed! Zed impounded maybe crushed!

Squee

Hi all,

This is a bit of a complicated one so please bear with me and please advise if you can!

Some of you might know that I bought a Z32 a couple of weeks ago. A condition of the sale was that the seller was going to do some jobs on the car before I paid for it. A couple of weeks has passed whilst the parts have been sourced and he's been working on it and I was going to collect it later this week.

The car has been mainly parked on the road near his house. However the car was untaxed and also his insurance on it recently ran out and I hadn't insured it as the car still wasn't mine. Unfortunately the car was seized by the police last night and taken to an impound near Shrewsbury and we've both spent literally all day trying to get it released but with no luck.

The main problem is regarding the V5. The seller has never actually had the V5 and despite making a good attempt to get it from the previous seller never actually got round to it. He's a pretty laid back guy and I can see why not having it wouldn't have been such a major deal that it would be to someone else. I wasn't that comfortable buying it without any documentation so I got in contact directly with the previous owner and arranged to get the V5 directly from him as he didn't live too far away (in Stoke on Trent). When I get there it turns out that he never actually got round to registering it in his name thus didnt have the V5 himself (or at least didn't want to give it to me for some reason), but he did give me the new keepers' supplement (V5C2 or something), along with a load of other old paperwork ie old MOTs.

As the tax needing sorting I sent off the new keepers supplement to the DVLA as soon as I got it from the Stoke guy as it says it take 4-6 weeks to process the form. It was sent via Special Delivery and I have proof that it has arrived there. I also have a photocopy.

The seller and I have spent all day going to and from Shrewsbury police station and the Shrewsbury DVLA office to trying to sort this but the DVLA office couldn't help us as although they acknowledge they've received the V5C2, it hasn't been processed and can't be found internally (it sounds like it's in a pile waiting be be processed and there's nothing "on the system" saying it's in my name/being processed in my name). The police say the photocopy of the new keepers supplement isn't acceptable documentation despite the proof that it's got to the DVLA and it also turns out the coppers can't release the car without the seized notice which the seller doesn't have. He is however going to try and speak to the copper tonight when he comes on shift who's responsible for the seizure.

As it stands the car will be crushed within 14 days if we can't get it released and the DVLA say transferring the V5 in my name takes 4-6 weeks. It is also of course incurring a £20 fee per day. It is very possible that we can get an extension so it's not crushed.

So does anyone have any advice? Someone I spoke to at the DVLA in Swansea said we should speak to a police liaison officer who should be able to help but the policewoman on the front desk told us "we don't have any of those in Shewsbury". :shrug:

The car was bought from the ZX forum and it's been a very laid back and informal kind of agreement. The seller is saying he'll pay all of the costs and is feeling very bad about everything. We've become quite good friends over the last couple of weeks so I'm not going to tell him to get f*cked and sort it out himself and also as the car was insured, this morning, in my name and ultimately will be registered to me, it has to be me that the car is released to. I will add that I haven't actually paid for the car yet although I did voluntarily give the seller £200 as a deposit.

Thanks for reading and sorry if it's a bit of a confusing read!

Please advise it you can!

S.

1. how did either of the previous owners tax the vehicle without a logbook in there name?

2. The guy you bought this car from had never registered it which means it's never been insured even if he thought it was as an insurance company will stipulate theat the insured car must be registered in the owners name.

3 there's one born every minute.

how did either of the previous owners tax the vehicle without a logbook?

The new keepers supplement I got off the Stoke guy had been used once but you only get one "go" of it as the post office stamps it.

The guy I'm buying it from has only had cause to tax it once as he's only had it less than a year and he taxed it online although obviously never had the disc. Although you're meant to display a disc it didnt cause too many problems as the coppers can check tax status from your numberplate.

S.

how did either of the previous owners tax the vehicle without a logbook?

The new keepers supplement I got off the Stoke guy had been used once but you only get one "go" of it as the post office stamps it.

The guy I'm buying it from has only had cause to tax it once as he's only had it less than a year and he taxed it online although obviously never had the disc. Although you're meant to display a disc it didnt cause too many problems as the coppers can check tax status from your numberplate.

S.

I have never heard it being able to tax a car with the supplement.

I would say that it isn't really your problem and the seller should sort this out unless ;

A) The cars are rare and it's worth the fight.

B) You're worried you might lose your £200.

Dis you actually insure a car that you don't even own?

It might sound harsh but it sounds like your man should have been more on the ball :surrender:

I have a very close friend who owns the largest company in the UK removing cars for the DVLA and Police and it's now legal to remove a car off a drive if it's untaxed and not sorn!

lolwut no it's not. It's a fine you get for not having it SORN'd, not your car removed from your own property. That's called theft. If it's on the public road then that's a different story.

From the DVLA website:

What will happen if you don't make a SORN

If you don’t make a SORN or tax your vehicle you could be stopped by the police.

You’ll get an automatic penalty of £80, as well as paying for a new tax disc.

You could also get a County Court Judgment against you, and be fined a minimum of £1,000.

The maximum penalty for making a false SORN, when the vehicle is actually used or kept on a public road, is £5,000 and imprisonment.

Your vehicle could be clamped by one of DVLA's wheelclamping partners. You’ll need to pay to have your vehicle released as well as producing a valid tax disc or a surety fee if no disc is available. If you fail to pay, your vehicle will be impounded, incurring storage charges. If you don’t pay the release or storage fees, your vehicle could be crushed or sold.

Only applicable if it's on the road, not on your own property, as it's talking about not having tax rather than not being SORN'd. Your mate is exaggerating somewhat.

Squee, that's a right ol' mess :( At this point in time I think the best you can do is hope the DVLA sort things out in time (they are pretty quick, I've had my V5C changes done within a week the last few times I've done it with cars and plates), or alternatively I'd be getting my £200 back and cancelling the insurance ASAP. I don't think this is going to end well, but you've done everything you can as far as I can see. I think the system is going to win here, but ultimately it's the guy's fault for never sorting it out and highlights why it's so important to do so.

My dad said that you should have done this...

You could have insured the car straight away, just tell them that you are the registered keeper, then get them to send you a copy of your insurance certificate via email then print it.

Take that to the Post Office with your V5C2 (green slip) with your details filled in.

Then go to your local DVLA office to get physically give them your V5C2 so you can get the car registered in your name and also ask for a receipt of this, so you could show it to the Police.

All done in a day, so car would be registered in your name by the end of the day so insurance not invalid.

Hope you get it all sorted out!

Then go to your local DVLA office to get physically give them your V5C2 so you can get the car registered in your name and also ask for a receipt of this, so you could show it to the Police.

That's never going to happen. The V5 is issued by Swansea AFAIK, which is why when changing private plates over at the local offices you always end up with a wait before the V% comes through the door.

Cheers for your advice all.

I know that a logical reply from an 'outsider' to the situation would be to walk but I still want the car. The DVLA have told me that there's no problem with the V5 being transferred into my name, just that it takes up to 6 weeks. The seller is saying he's gonna cover the impound costs and like I say I've not paid for it yet apart from the £200.

Ouch, sounds like a right mess. Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for your kind words Will :) I'm used to making a mess of things :lol:

S.

You could have insured the car straight away, just tell them that you are the registered keeper, then get them to send you a copy of your insurance certificate via email then print it.

Take that to the Post Office with your V5C2 (green slip) with your details filled in.

All done in a day, so car would be registered in your name by the end of the day so insurance not invalid.

Cheers fella! Unfortunately that wasn't an option as Stoke man had filled in the V5C2 form with his details but never bothered to send it off. I asked the DVLA if I could do it at a local office but was told the only way to 'over write' his details would be sending it along with a completed V62 form to Swansea which is what I did. I guess I could have sent it 'internally', getting the local DVLA to send it to Swansea (and getting a receipt from them) but from past experience it's MUCH quicker to send it yourself via Special Delivery.

S.

Cheers fella! Unfortunately that wasn't an option as Stoke man had filled in the V5C2 form with his details but never bothered to send it off. I asked the DVLA if I could do it at a local office but was told the only way to 'over write' his details would be sending it along with a completed V62 form to Swansea which is what I did. I guess I could have sent it 'internally', getting the local DVLA to send it to Swansea (and getting a receipt from them) but from past experience it's MUCH quicker to send it yourself via Special Delivery.

S.

True, but I was thinking that even sending it internally, if you got a receipt from the local DVLA along with the car tax and insurance certificate you would be able to get the car released. yeah it'd take longer to receive the actual V5, but if the police would accept a receipt from the DVLA local office, then you'd be all sorted!

Anyways, like I said good luck missy!

That's never going to happen. The V5 is issued by Swansea AFAIK, which is why when changing private plates over at the local offices you always end up with a wait before the V% comes through the door.

I was just thinking about getting a receipt to say you've handed in the V5C2 to the DVLA, so you've applied to be the new registered keeper. It would be sent internally and you could get a receipt from them possibly to say they have received it to be sent to Swansea.

Something doesn't add up :dry:

The guy I'm buying it from has only had cause to tax it once as he's only had it less than a year and he taxed it online

If that was the case the tax disc would be sent to the registered keeper i.e him presumably. So where and in whose name is the current V5?

The laid back guy you bought it off, or were going to buy it off is all to blame here. On a public road with no tax,insurance and what about MOT? Surely the car has that bad a mysterious past that alarm bells should be sounding now? I'd walk or something else is going to be round the corner. Why has no one registered it? Very strange but I really do hope you get what you want but be careful. :scare:

Well a bit of a breakthrough....I've just spoken on the phone to the person who I found out today is the registered keeper and he's kindly offered to come to the police station with the seller and myself on Friday to get the car released.

This guy I spoke to hasn't actually had the car since 2009 and is a bit baffled as to how he's still the registered keeper (the police lady told us his name hence we found out). He and the seller are regulars on the ZX forum and the car has plenty of forum history - if it wasn't for that I would have walked a while back.

what about MOT?

car has MOT til Feb! As I have the V5 document references I've checked it's past MOT history etc.

I'll update if I get anywhere!

Thanks again for your help,

S.

Some funky @*!# going on here......tread careful

There are other cars out there.... not sure I would trust the current registered owner or the guy selling... interesting they are on the same forum but the current seller did not seem to know the owner?!

If you continue with this check everything as Ricey says.

I would just walk even if it it is all legit and go find a car with less of a dubious record.

I'm going to say the opposite to everyone else - if you really want the car then go ahead and waste your time trying to get it. Just make sure that after all the hassle you don't pay any more than you have already without making sure 10000% that the car is yours in the eyes of the law. Although also consider the fact that the owner history sounds messy as hell and consider that in to the value of the car vs the price you're paying vs what else is on the market.

Id walk from that mess all day long.

Car not taxed, left on public roads, not insured, cant possibly have been taxed online as they wouldnt have either the V5 or the renewal reminder refference in order to do so.

How is the guy baffled as to why he is still the registered keeper? What has he been doing with all the tax/sorn reminders that the dvla send to the registered keeper for the last 3 years?

Sounds like a right old mess. All you need now is a letter from a finance company landing on your door when the car gets registered in your name and you will have covered just about every "walk away from this" alarm I can think of.

The current keeper (or should I say guardian whom leaves it on the road outside his house) has created all this mess by never getting round to registering the car in his name and never taxing/insuring it and leaving it on the public road. What exactly did they expect?

Id leave well alone if I were you, but as the V5 is now being registered in your name, then its a bit late. It is to be hoped that the next thing that follows the V5 out of the Swansea office is not a fine of £1,000 for failing to sorn or tax the car. As they will send that to the registered keeper - which in a weeks time or so, will be you. :blush: