Well I broke it.......driving sensibly!

oj121

have to agree, tyres only need to match across the axle. yes its nice to have the same across the whole car, and its what i use. but different front and backs doesn;t suddenly make it like a greased otter.

as for the 452's not being adequate for the zed, they seem more than capable for the XKR.

I really do think some people have a bit inflated the performance of the zed as stock, maybe if it's charged it's a different matter.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never dream of running no named tyres on a car as I do value my life much more than a set of tyres.

The bit you're missing is the fact that both ends of the car reacted differently. If the fronts had falkens, maybe he would have under-steered as a warning that he was moving too fast and this in turn would have prevented him from accelerating and causing the rear end to step out :shrug:

It doesnt matter to me what tyres are where, its the fact the two end of the car react very differently in most circumstances, except on dry warm road.

There are a lot of tyres out there which are worse than the re40s, yet people don't crash and burn on those.

I was running falken ze912s at the rear, no names at the front, the only issue I ever had was that corner and a roundabout, but I knew how shite they were so I drove accordingly.

That must have been for like a year, but I never had any accidents :shrug:

Simple, he oversteered a bit, chances are it had nothing to do with the tyres from the sounds of it, more the conditions. Tyres are not an absolute, they won't find grip where there is none to be had.

There's always somewhere to apportion blame when something goes wrong, but in this case he's held his hands up and admitted it may have been himself to blame, yet some people have to jump on the tyres bandwagon or rub some bullshit in about how he's a @*!# driver?

I hope none of you ever post up a thread like this.

@*!# happens, get over it.

Some tyres willl find grip when other tyres won't i'm afraid and quite frankly you're starting to become rude and offensive.

I really hope you dont ever post a thread up like this.

If I ever crash I will quite openly put my hands up and say it was me. I have matching tyres, run r888 tyres on track and quite frankly rip the arse out my car every time I take it out. I didn't buy it for a workhorse, I bought it for a weekend toy but at least I will have ensured that the car is mechanically and technically as fit as it can be and then I will be the only person to blame in an accident.

have to agree, tyres only need to match across the axle. yes its nice to have the same across the whole car, and its what i use. but different front and backs doesn;t suddenly make it like a greased otter.

as for the 452's not being adequate for the zed, they seem more than capable for the XKR.

I really do think some people have a bit inflated the performance of the zed as stock, maybe if it's charged it's a different matter.

A charged car will still only do the same maximum speed round a corner as a normal car with same tyre/suspension set up.

I know yours is a track car but in day to day driving or your work car/van have they never run mixed tyres front and back?

Im not arguing its not the best setup but its hardly a death trap. 452's are good. not the best like ps2's or MPSS but they are more than adequate. They wont kill you. They are very grippy for the money and progressive.

Yeah I do agree, but the point I made is that if the OP was running the same tyres front to rear maybe both ends of the car would have reacted the same.

Work van runs hankooks all round ;) My swift sport is running eagle f1 gsd3's all round.

I ran mixed tyres and wouldn't do it again.

Some tyres willl find grip when other tyres won't i'm afraid and quite frankly you're starting to become rude and offensive.

I really hope you dont ever post a thread up like this.

If I ever crash I will quite openly put my hands up and say it was me. I have matching tyres, run r888 tyres on track and quite frankly rip the arse out my car every time I take it out. I didn't buy it for a workhorse, I bought it for a weekend toy but at least I will have ensured that the car is mechanically and technically as fit as it can be and then I will be the only person to blame in an accident.

Maybe so, but not when there's no grip to be found. Didn't he mention loose soil/chippings?

I won't list what tyres i'm running and somehow I don't see why i'd post it up here either, maybe I'd want to be insulted or accused about tyre options or brakes even when I admit responsability?

That's where the difference lies, it can be used as a daily also, for that where it spends 99% of the time stuck in traffic, who gives an ass what tyres it's running?

A charged car will still only do the same maximum speed round a corner as a normal car with same tyre/suspension set up.

Exactly why it needs better tyres to put that extra power down :thumbs:

lol, you totally missed the point but i'm going to bed.

Gotta love a good tyre debate :stir::lol:

lol, you totally missed the point but i'm going to bed.

Gotta love a good tyre debate :stir::lol:

What, you mean you don't apply power liberally on mid corner? :p

Maybe I saw exiting a corner :blush:

No posts of mine were supposed to be rude or offensive, but i'd certainly consider some posts from others to be rude/offensive :thumbs:

Rename title to "heated tyre debate thread" :offtopic::lol:

Nevertheless:

In my experience with the Z on mixed tyres (as i bought it) the worst thing is the was the safety systems react to it. The 2nd day owned my Z i took it for a drive with mixed tyres in the wet. the systems went berzerk and started grabbing at different corners. it was very scary.

I changed the tyres right away and will never look back.

That said anyone planning driving enthusiastically in the wet with 452s on is asking for trouble. from my experience running them on my old car they don't like even slightly damp conditions. :shrug:

Hope you get your car sorted soon mate. mines off the road for now from damage caused by some chavs and it's driving me crazy not being able to drive it :bang:

That said anyone planning driving enthusiastically in the wet with 452s on is asking for trouble. from my experience running them on my old car they don't like even slightly damp conditions. :shrug:

i must be buying special ones then as i had them on the S2K and the XKR and they been very good in the wet :shrug: maybe just drinving style :shrug:

People keep referring to 'driving enthusiastically' or implying that I was ragging it or hooning. This is the bit thats bugging me as I was just bumbling home. I generally do drive it at around 7/10ths at that time as there is little around but on this day I was down around 2 or 3 tenths. If anything I believe I was probably going TOO SLOW with too little load on the outside of the car which meant when the grip disappeared the car was 'soft' and not rigid enough to react.

People keep referring to 'driving enthusiastically' or implying that I was ragging it or hooning. This is the bit thats bugging me as I was just bumbling home. I generally do drive it at around 7/10ths at that time as there is little around but on this day I was down around 2 or 3 tenths. If anything I believe I was probably going TOO SLOW with too little load on the outside of the car which meant when the grip disappeared the car was 'soft' and not rigid enough to react.

don't worry about them funny people; this forum is full of trolls and keyboard warriors :lol:

all those that actually read the whole thread know what you were saying :thumbs:

Just to add a little perspective to this.

I was driving to work on Tuesday. It had been raining and the roads were very wet. I was waiting to join a dual carriageway which meant crossing the lanes and turning right a traffic lights. I was not in a hurry and turned the corner at about 20 mph.

The car took a 180 spin. Fortuantely there were no other cars around me and nothing else to hit. I recovered the car and proceeded carefully until I was confident whatever was on the road was not still on my tyres.

I have new matching tyres all round.

These things do happen, there was oil or similar on the road and I was pretty lucky to get away with it.

This was in a 4wd imprezza btw. :shrug:

Just to add a little perspective to this.

I was driving to work on Tuesday. It had been raining and the roads were very wet. I was waiting to join a dual carriageway which meant crossing the lanes and turning right a traffic lights. I was not in a hurry and turned the corner at about 20 mph.

The car took a 180 spin. Fortuantely there were no other cars around me and nothing else to hit. I recovered the car and proceeded carefully until I was confident whatever was on the road was not still on my tyres.

I have new matching tyres all round.

These things do happen, there was oil or similar on the road and I was pretty lucky to get away with it.

This was in a 4wd imprezza btw. :shrug:

I hope your tyres were matched :p

Rising Power, its not worth it mate, despite the experiences of thousands of other people theres a few on here that will always tell you mixed tyres will make you fall off the road. Likewise turning off the TC will kill you in seconds (how TVR drivers with 400hp and no TC manage not to crash and burn every time they go out I dont know), and of course the old classic that if you havent driven RWD before, you are probably going to die too. :stir:

This then develops into posts like this:

In my experience with the Z on mixed tyres (as i bought it) the worst thing is the was the safety systems react to it. The 2nd day owned my Z i took it for a drive with mixed tyres in the wet. the systems went berzerk and started grabbing at different corners. it was very scary.

which is hysteria at the end of the day - even driving on canvas there is no way the VDC is going to fire front and back wheels all the time unless theres a size mismatch, sensor problem or other fault, and anyway did the guy who had it before you drive it with the safety systems going off all the time? Really? :bangin:

We then get:

That said anyone planning driving enthusiastically in the wet with 452s on is asking for trouble. from my experience running them on my old car they don't like even slightly damp conditions.

which is not only inacurate, its frankly terrible advice. Ive even had people on here tell me that 4 matched Ditchfinders are safer than mixing MPS's on the front and RE050A's on the back .......... and thats the point when I realised its not worth it. :yawn:

You know, I know and the OP knows that running different tyres front and back isnt going to cause accidents - Ill accept that it might alter the characteristics of the car somewhat, but nowhere near what different pressures, tread depths or heaven forbid DRIVING IN THE RAIN :scare: will do, we will keep driving to the conditions and grip available and these guys can keep playing their by now very scratched record. :thumbs:

Apologies for singling you out CrumbMC and Id add that I have the utmost respect for Ekona and his opinions, I just dont necessarily agree with them ;)

P.S> My own brother thought your car was mine the other day. My own brother :yuck:

its weird i think maybe something on the road but from my exerience its always been a wet drain or where they have resurfaced the road when my slip light goes crazy ive completley 180 on the spot before from standstill..maybe as people were saying driving styles plays a big part i never tend to accelerate through short corners (as thats when it gets twitchy) just try to carry the speed through some people accelerate through mid corner to come out and maybe thats where the problem was in your case..hit bad patch of road doing that in the rain and pretty much what you did would happen even at 20mph especially in 2nd

thats my view anyway

ive done same thing my friend and hit a concrete post my new doors been in my house for a year nearly as havent had time to get it swapped over plus thought i would learn the car bit more before i did in case i crashed the new door :lol:

just take it as learning expereince some good advice on here to ensure your better prepared next time

i must be buying special ones then as i had them on the S2K and the XKR and they been very good in the wet :shrug: maybe just drinving style :shrug:

It isnt. B)

Rename title to "heated tyre debate thread" :offtopic::lol:

Nevertheless:

I changed the tyres right away and will never look back.

^^This, after buying my car with vreds front/ 452's rear, I replaced the rears first. With the old vreds up front and new rear 452's, the tcs was grabbing random wheels in basic, sweeping corners- beserk. Very unstable in braking too, oddly not even when you were pushing on, just with normal driving! I never had the issue before, only when the fronts were worn and the rears new. New all round completely cured the issue, it was night and day.

It was so bad I even had Japex check it out as I thought there was a mechanical issue with the car! Will never be mixing tyres on the 350z again. 452's all round for me now.

As for 'these tyres xxxx don't work in the wet' you just need to learn how to drive it ;) I've driven near-bald semi slicks on my lotus in flood-like conditions and even that was controllable up to a limit, it just depends on your personal preference/ driving style which should be adjusted to the conditions and grip available.

well i have Pirelli P Zero's all round, in the rain today i managed to 4 wheel drift across a round-about and then fish tail it for another 20m or so on the exit....i dont know if it was just oil build-up, but the car just suddenly let go...all was good though, the truck i just missed seemed to enjoy it anyway

well i have Pirelli P Zero's all round, in the rain today i managed to 4 wheel drift across a round-about and then fish tail it for another 20m or so on the exit....i dont know if it was just oil build-up, but the car just suddenly let go...all was good though, the truck i just missed seemed to enjoy it anyway

You sir have a rather appropriate avatar for that comment. :lol: