28 members have voted

1. 1. To buy or not to buy?

• Go for it!
    • Stay away!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, so haggle him down a bit? What kind of price would you be willing to pay for that one?

EDIT: I'm also looking at this one, not 100% sure on the rear tho...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3994109.htm

That is a ridiculous price for a 2002 import! Even if it is mint and well maintained. No leather either but it does have brembos so whoever has had it has possibly looked after it and spent time thinking about improvements :thumbdown:

I wouldnt say ridiculous, its only got 30K on it, FSH and is clearly mint - you could probably talk him down to £6K, I dont think thats bad at all. Cloth seats wear a lot better than leather as well :)

Aside from the clear wear on the upright bolster in the last pic, you mean? ;)

Hopefully the check will come back ok. I am somewhat confused tho as people were telling me 270 for tax but the HPI check came back saying tax bank K which is £475.00?

Pre-March 2006 is the lower tax, that one will be £475 by a matter of 2 months (virtually to the day).

Hopefully the check will come back ok. I am somewhat confused tho as people were telling me 270 for tax but the HPI check came back saying tax bank K which is £475.00?

Pre-March 2006 is the lower tax, that one will be £475 by a matter of 2 months (virtually to the day).

What a pisser! :bangin::bang:

What a pisser! :bangin::bang:

You said it!

Personally, I wouldn't touch it but its you who is going to be driving it - maybe! There are better examples out there for only a little more money.

Really? Haven't seen any myself! I'm limiting myself to a budget of 7k as I have other priorities atm. I used to drive a VX220 Turbo but had to sell it when I moved to Africa few years back. Now I'm back in the UK I want something that's a bit of fun but I couldn't afford another VXT or an Elise/Exige.

Well VIk54's car for a start. OK, it is £750 over but at least you know you are getting a car that not only looks immaculate but has been well looked after and is mechanically sound. It falls in the cheaper tax bracket which will save you those few extra pennies you put out on it. This is only one example. Not too mention Vik's car has been given the bulge etc to make it looks like the 2007 facelift model! :thumbs:

Year manufactured 2006

Current keeper acquired on 25-May-2012

Date of first registration in the UK 25-May-2006

Number of keepers before current keeper 4

A month? That's a little worrying!

Hi guys, first post here :wave: .

I nearly purchased this car a month ago when it was for sale on autotrader. I had established the owner would take £7 for it, and as far as he knew it was HPI clear. My dad went to see it for me as he was going up that way anyway to see his mum. However on the very long drive to go and see it, the owner rang to say it had just sold :bang: .

The fact that he's selling after 1 month of ownership after recently finding its a cat D, seems very dodgy to me.

Year manufactured 2006

Current keeper acquired on 25-May-2012

Date of first registration in the UK 25-May-2006

Number of keepers before current keeper 4

A month? That's a little worrying!

Hi guys, first post here :wave: .

I nearly purchased this car a month ago when it was for sale on autotrader. I had established the owner would take £7 for it, and as far as he knew it was HPI clear. My dad went to see it for me as he was going up that way anyway to see his mum. However on the very long drive to go and see it, the owner rang to say it had just sold :bang: .

The fact that he's selling after 1 month of ownership after recently finding its a cat D, seems very dodgy to me.

That would mean he was selling the car days after buying it....

Well VIk54's car for a start. OK, it is £750 over but at least you know you are getting a car that not only looks immaculate but has been well looked after and is mechanically sound. It falls in the cheaper tax bracket which will save you those few extra pennies you put out on it. This is only one example. Not too mention Vik's car has been given the bulge etc to make it looks like the 2007 facelift model! :thumbs:

I would love the car but I simply can't justify that much for a car. As I spent the last several years living and working in the African bush I'm starting fresh in the UK, new car, new job, no savings (therefore car will be financed) and not the best paying job! Really, I'd like another VX/Lotus but it's just far beyond what I can justify at this point. I was initially only looking at spending about 5k on a car until I saw the prices the zeds were going for.

Disclaimer: Not trying to scare you off or insult you, just want to make sure you've thought everything through.

Zeds ain't cheap to run. At all.

If you're really gonna be tight on money as you are setting up again back in the UK, are you sure you wouldn't be better getting a cheaper car for a few years till you're settled.

At over £100 to fill a tank (with V-power or equiv), 20mpg cobined (more likely 15mpg round town,) plus insurance, plus tax, plus your finance, and then the cost of pads/discs/services on top...

If you're ok with all that, then go for it. As I say, I'm not trying to insult you.

But if you can't stretch an extra £750 for Viks car (which on finance over 3 years is only £20 extra a month), are you sure you're in a place to run a 350?

:drive1

I would love the car but I simply can't justify that much for a car. As I spent the last several years living and working in the African bush I'm starting fresh in the UK, new car, new job, no savings (therefore car will be financed) and not the best paying job! Really, I'd like another VX/Lotus but it's just far beyond what I can justify at this point. I was initially only looking at spending about 5k on a car until I saw the prices the zeds were going for.

I know you say you dont want to pay extra for Vik's car but its only across the water plus I bet you any car you will see wont be in as good condition.

I wouldnt say 20mpg combined or 15mpg round town more add 5mpg on both and your about right.

If you really really really really really really really really cant afford Viks car I'd go for an early import with Brembo's. They can be had for 5ish usually.

Disclaimer: Not trying to scare you off or insult you, just want to make sure you've thought everything through.

Zeds ain't cheap to run. At all.

If you're really gonna be tight on money as you are setting up again back in the UK, are you sure you wouldn't be better getting a cheaper car for a few years till you're settled.

At over £100 to fill a tank (with V-power or equiv), 20mpg cobined (more likely 15mpg round town,) plus insurance, plus tax, plus your finance, and then the cost of pads/discs/services on top...

If you're ok with all that, then go for it. As I say, I'm not trying to insult you.

But if you can't stretch an extra £750 for Viks car (which on finance over 3 years is only £20 extra a month), are you sure you're in a place to run a 350?

:drive1

Oh I can afford it that's not the issue. I could have bought 3/4 zeds for the price of my last car, and the fuel difference isn't all that much. I'm just trying to be sensible and not spend more than I have to. It's not a case of I can't more than it is won't.

20mpg combined? Well I do 90% Motorway/Dual Carriageway/B road which I was told to expect 25-30 with conservative driving, which is fine. Obviously half it when you're having "fun" :) I had 2.7V6 Hyundai Coupe (book mpg worse than the Z with almost half the power) and a 220BHP VX220T (plus a lead foot) so I'm used to thirsty cars, big tyres, high road tax, insurance, etc.

Insurance is only £350 for me fully comp :)

EDIT: Eugh the RAC/AA want £375 to do an inspection :( That being said, every single bit of research I've done online is telling me Cat D is minor/cosmetic and no structural/mechanical damage, no inspection required etc. Does anyone know otherwise?

Being Liverpool (no offence, my dad is a scouser) it's entirely possible that it's been stolen and recovered!

EDIT: Eugh the RAC/AA want £375 to do an inspection :( That being said, every single bit of research I've done online is telling me Cat D is minor/cosmetic and no structural/mechanical damage, no inspection required etc. Does anyone know otherwise?

Being Liverpool (no offence, my dad is a scouser) it's entirely possible that it's been stolen and recovered!

Mate, people that own the cars have tried to give you advice. You have had people give their opinions, another guy saying he went to buy it but there were suspicious circumstances but you are still keen on it. You now need to make a decision. Asking the same questions on here is not going to get you anywhere.

The RAC/AA want near £400 to do an inspection which on a CAT damaged car would give you some piece of mind. Add that to the price you paying and tax difference etc and any value you are looking for is lost.

The cars are expensive to run and replacement parts aren't cheap either. If you can afford a little extra outlay initially, you may avoid problems later. With the CAT car you are taking a gamble and it is your decision to make. Nobody on here can reassure you and tell you everything is going to be alright.

Good luck with your decision!

I'd buy a straight MY03 before a CAT D MY06 for the same money.

Why buy a car that could cause you numerous problems down the line if it's not right? You'll also be paying double the road tax nearly.

If the car was put back together by a reputable company, then why did they put the wrong bumper back on??????

These cars are hard enough to sell in the current market, never mind one that has 'history'..................

Fair point. I do appreciate all the advice and opinions you have given, thanks!

I know whats happening here bud.........you really, really want this car and your just waiting for the 1 person to say something positive and you'll go get it.

Just don't bother........unless its a mega bargain or just down the roads for a little looksee, with a history that makes sense walk the fook away.

Its just not worth it for the sake of getting a 'newer' car.

I know whats happening here bud.........you really, really want this car and your just waiting for the 1 person to say something positive and you'll go get it.

Just don't bother........unless its a mega bargain or just down the roads for a little looksee, with a history that makes sense walk the fook away.

Ok, I'll do it and take one for the team!

Mate that's an absolute cracker of a deal. It's defo been repaired to the highest of standards because it looks so shiny in the photographs. If you don't put a deposit on it soon, I am going to go snaffle it up myself.

Ok, I'll do it and take one for the team!

Mate that's an absolute cracker of a deal. It's defo been repaired to the highest of standards because it looks so shiny in the photographs. If you don't put a deposit on it soon, I am going to go snaffle it up myself.

Not if I beat you to it! I've been after a cheap 350Z, which has been crashed and repaired as cheaply as possible. It's definaltey not worth spending <£1k more on loved, well known example... :doh:

It's lacking a front number plate plinth which,again,is not a sign of a totally proper repair.

I've thought about cat c/d buys before but always passed...even if you get one with no fault issues, what about re-sale time?...OK,you've bought cheap so can sell cheap but your market is very restricted, and if you fail to sell privately and go for a trade-in the dealer will either show you the door or offer you some totally insulting amount.

I wouldn't say that. I won't lie that I am very keen due to the year, mileage etc but I'm not naive. I'm merely trying to better understand the pro's and con's. In regards to the Cat D, I was simply trying to get a better understanding as from the research I did it said that Cat D was superficial/cosmetic damage that does not require any kind of mechanical work or mechanical inspection, otherwise it would be a Cat C? Again, this is just a lack of knowledge on my part as I have never dealt with damaged vehicles in the past.

I'm certainly not dismissing or ignoring your opinions and comments, I'm considering this all very carefully!

In regards to running costs, I'm merely wanting to go into it knowing what to expect. There are a few other things I have planned and need to save for so it's just good to get a better idea.