CatD 06 350Z GT

JaredNomac

To buy or not to buy?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. To buy or not to buy?

• Go for it!
    • Stay away!

If you want it, buy it. IMO there is just as big of a risk than with any other car.

This looks like a forum car with the red calipers and zunsport grille.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/nissan-350z-manual-o4-fsh/104469163

this one is cheap also.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/nissan-350z-silver-2003/105394683

But its far away so you have to add traveling costs onto it. If thats the one you want just get it.

pros

Newer car

better interior

rev up engine

nice colour

Better headlights

potential car for money

Cons

Will cost for it to be inspected.

If no inspection then it *might* be bad. It might not.

Big risk

Traveling costs and inconvenience.

Its still a cat d so harder resale.

Its not *that* cheap really.

Some 06 cars burn oil

needs a new rear tyre

Now the guy says its all good and it could be. But it might not. Just depends on how much you trust him.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to the Cat D, I was simply trying to get a better understanding as from the research I did it said that Cat D was superficial/cosmetic damage that does not require any kind of mechanical work or mechanical inspection, otherwise it would be a Cat C? .

A car can be Cat D for any number of reasons but seeing as a Cat D can be returned to the road without having to go through a vehicle inspection then the damage couldn't have been that serious. Cosmetic repairs are sometimes known as Cat X and aren't recorded.

Pete

Fair point. I do appreciate all the advice and opinions you have given, thanks!

I know whats happening here bud.........you really, really want this car and your just waiting for the 1 person to say something positive and you'll go get it.

Just don't bother........unless its a mega bargain or just down the roads for a little looksee, with a history that makes sense walk the fook away.

Its just not worth it for the sake of getting a 'newer' car.

I wouldn't say that. I won't lie that I am very keen due to the year, mileage etc but I'm not naive. I'm merely trying to better understand the pro's and con's. In regards to the Cat D, I was simply trying to get a better understanding as from the research I did it said that Cat D was superficial/cosmetic damage that does not require any kind of mechanical work or mechanical inspection, otherwise it would be a Cat C? Again, this is just a lack of knowledge on my part as I have never dealt with damaged vehicles in the past.

I'm certainly not dismissing or ignoring your opinions and comments, I'm considering this all very carefully!

In regards to running costs, I'm merely wanting to go into it knowing what to expect. There are a few other things I have planned and need to save for so it's just good to get a better idea.

I didn't think that you were bud....I can just see your keen on it.

Cat d is too far ranging to comment upon. If it was a bargain and history stacked up it certainly wouldn't put me off.

Your doing the right thing seeing it. :thumbs:

I was going to get an AA/RAC inspection but after reading some reviews on their service I decided against it, especially when they want to charge me £375! Just going to take a look myself and maybe get a local garage to look at it.

So about the same as the one I'm looking at then. I assume you got it all repaired?

My main concern is things like twisted/bent chassis and damaged suspension, most other things could be easily and cheaply rectified but they are pretty major =/

Currently considering a Z4 3.0 as an alternative. http://www.thecheshirecarcompany.co.uk/ ... 7477817209 Hmmm, tough call. I don't imagine there's much dif in terms of performance with the Z4 and the 350 due to weight dif. 10+ mpg extra and electric convertible is appealing too. Decisions decisions.

Well the car was about 98% percent fixed when I bought it but I went over it with a fine toothcombe before I made the purchase, the main bits where the plastics underneath the engine and front wheel arches they where cracked and needed replacing, but spotting minor problems only helped me with the price :-), also I was considering a Z4 and quite oddly an Audi tt and s3, and in all honesty I love the build quality of German cars and for everyday commuting nothing compares to an Audi/BMW/merc, If you buy a pre facelift 350z the interior is very nasty in comparison lol. Go for the Z4 mate :thumbs:

So about the same as the one I'm looking at then. I assume you got it all repaired?

My main concern is things like twisted/bent chassis and damaged suspension, most other things could be easily and cheaply rectified but they are pretty major =/

Currently considering a Z4 3.0 as an alternative. http://www.thecheshirecarcompany.co.uk/ ... 7477817209 Hmmm, tough call. I don't imagine there's much dif in terms of performance with the Z4 and the 350 due to weight dif. 10+ mpg extra and electric convertible is appealing too. Decisions decisions.

10mpg and electric roof extra. I'd go with the z4.

i bought a catd 05 gt 40000 miles pre accident was mint condition , k&n induction kit magnaflow exhaust valeside spoiler a very well looked after car, i got in touch with the previous owner, it was he who had the accident (hit a car at 15 miles an hour) he is sending me the full history and the other 2 keys the car is now repaired it needed a wing a bumper and a controle arm , i did all the work myself and i painted it , cost of the car was £4000 repairs £500 result mint 40000 mile 05 full service history £4500 .

alright it shows up as a cat d but lets be honest does that matter?, do the research do the checks and you can get a good en for a good price

Z.............................................4 *shudder*

I could have sold you a nice 3 litre 2 weeks ago :lol:

Z4 and 350Z are 2 different worlds mate - 0-60 thrash might be similar but the 350Z is far more torquey.............living in Dundee I certainly wouldn't be rushing to get a drop head :lol:

I think I managed to get the lid down twice in the last 6 months.

Z4 and 350Z are 2 different worlds mate - 0-60 thrash might be similar but the 350Z is far more torquey.............living in Dundee I certainly wouldn't be rushing to get a drop head :lol:

Yeah but that's because denim shrinks when it gets wet :boat:

Hah true the weather has been shocking recently. That being said, I owned a VX220 Turbo for 3 1/2 years before I moved to Africa (as a daily drive) and I had the roof off at least 75% of the time, so long as it wasnt raining or below zero, it was off :D I would love another RWD roadster and the 350z doesn't do it for me as a convertible. Has to be one of the best looking coupe's on the road tho. I'd dismissed the idea of getting Z4 because I was looking at the M series which I just way outta my price range at the moment.

I had a Z4 before my 350Z and got bored of the Z4, it was to easy to drive. Felt just like my mates 5 Series to sit in and it wasnt until you went round a corner you realised you werent in a Z4. They are great cars but do have more problems then the 350Z and the smile factor doesnt compare. Given the choice of a 3.0si or 350Z 313 i'd go with the 350Z everythime.

I had a Z4 before my 350Z and got bored of the Z4, it was to easy to drive. Felt just like my mates 5 Series to sit in and it wasnt until you went round a corner you realised you werent in a Z4. They are great cars but do have more problems then the 350Z and the smile factor doesnt compare. Given the choice of a 3.0si or 350Z 313 i'd go with the 350Z everythime.

Thats very good assessment indeed.

Cornering amazing, interior whilst a little bland very good quality but it simply doesn't stir the soul.

I once described it as a piece of Germanic turd.........a statement I standby.