whats classed as higher mileage in a Z?

MattW

Always read good things about these lumps and looking around at cars in my budget I'm seeing a few 60-70k + cars, when do the engines start getting a bit "weaker" or start falling to pieces?? Obviously I understand it depends on many factors but in general what are they like?

Cheers

Matt

Engine provided its cared for is fine for galactic but budget for expensive items like clutches which by all accounts CAN go anywhere from 40k onwards.....some see 60k others run passed 100k. Drop links, banana bars, bearings.....all the usual crap but it can mount up if you get stung all at once so check carefully.

You've just got to see how it drives.

174k Here

Bought it on 172K had no problems so far...my history was impeccable and had 1 owner with full nissan service history. Oh, still on original clutch as well.

Anyone fancy starting a 'How high is the mileage on your zed?' thread with a poll? Would be interesting to see how many members are actually driving cars with over 100k on the clock, and see what the max is (although 174k will take some beating!)

Anyone fancy starting a 'How high is the mileage on your zed?' thread with a poll? Would be interesting to see how many members are actually driving cars with over 100k on the clock, and see what the max is (although 174k will take some beating!)

I think there are a few of those threads already.....

I'm guessing on the clutch but I have receipts for everything else it has ever had done, so have no reason for doubting it. Is there any way I can actually check this???? If the clutch had been changed you wouldn't hide it would you, you'd sing it from the rooftops!

174k Here

Bought it on 172K had no problems so far...my history was impeccable and had 1 owner with full nissan service history. Oh, still on original clutch as well.

original clutch, thats brilliant

I think there are a few of those threads already.....

I knew there would be, hence why i didnt do it myself! :lol:

I'm guessing on the clutch but I have receipts for everything else it has ever had done, so have no reason for doubting it. Is there any way I can actually check this???? If the clutch had been changed you wouldn't hide it would you, you'd sing it from the rooftops!

Obviously with the sort of mileage it has been used as a motorway mile muncher so if that's the case maybe it is the original :shrug:

I can't help thinking if it is on it's first clutch the previous owner has not really had much fun in it have they :thumbsdown:

I think you can have plenty of fun and still be mechanically sympathetic to a clutch. Once its in gear and clutch is engaged, ie, not slipping, you arent using the clutch. doesnt matter then if you are pootling or booting it.

Lots of stop-start traffic or worse, keeping the car stationary on hills by slipping the clutch will kill it quicker. Oh and smoky wheelspinning starts, but thats just hooliganism :D

I know it will be something I need to replace down the road but when I saw the mileage I expected that I'd be looking at putting it its third/fourth by the time I need to. I was suprised when there was nothing in the history.

Then again for all I know it has had 6 changes and the history has been pulled to hide how it eats clutches!

I can't help thinking if it is on it's first clutch the previous owner has not really had much fun in it have they :thumbsdown:

I hope so, as it means it has had an easy life....although I doubt it, it is too much fun.

Shooting myself in the foot bigtime by saying this, but mine has done 133K km and would appear to still be on the same clutch it came in from Japan with in 2006. I would put money on the fact that its been kicked, slipped and dumped more than anyone elses as well ......... :lol:

Or maybe just had previous owner/s that are extremely smooth on the gear change/clutch.

:lol: the amount of people i've passengered with who think they're Senna driving fast but their gear changes are horrific, i'm not suprised the clutch gives out. especially when they drive like that and don't heel and toe or double clutch :wacko:

for me high mileage on a V6 would be about 250,000 miles but even then its not a dead car.

Shooting myself in the foot bigtime by saying this, but mine has done 133K km and would appear to still be on the same clutch it came in from Japan with in 2006. I would put money on the fact that its been kicked, slipped and dumped more than anyone elses as well ......... :lol:

Also how many people on here are so enthusiastic that they change their clutch before it goes as well?

Its one thing changing a failed clutch its another doing it because you love the Zed so much you literally want to breed with it.

Don't want to be tempting fate, but....

Mine is a 130k+ miles and the first clutch it had was the one I had put in it when buying a few months ago at 128k, and I only done this because I know how hard I drive cars and did not want to be stuck somewhere when the original gave way.

I had been in company cars for the last 10years so I'm used to expecting my cars to drive like knew and when I bought this one, I was surprised to see the miles and for it to feel the way it does. Since getting it I've had a bit of work done from Storm Motor Werks (who also look after an M of mine) and now it get pushed round like normal.

The Z feels strong and tight!! :thumbs: