Tyres 6yrs old....replace?

HEADPHONES

Someone told me that tyres should be replaced after 6yrs regardless of wear for safety.

TRUTH or URBAN LEGEND?

It's just that our BMW Mini is 6yrs old now and with only 20k of pootling miles has plenty tread left.

Never need to improve lap times in it :lol: .......so ultimate performance not an issue but will replace if there are genuine safety issues.

They're the only thing keeping you in contact with the road. Tyres degrade with age. A new set of tyres is about £500. An equivalent Mini is about £10,000.

Armed with those bits of info, I'd say it's totally up to you. Vik is correct in what she says from a legal point of view, though.

Apparently tyre centres arent even allowed to sell brand new tyres that are over 3 years old.Thats why a lot of new tyres appear on Ebay.Have even been told that if you take 5 year old but new tyres to be fitted they will refuse.

I bought my seven year old zed three months ago with 13k miles on and the original tyres ( factory coded apparently ) which had cracks between the treads on the rears. They still had 4mm on but i changed the full set to Falkens.Much better than the Bridgetsones anyway. IMO replace yours... better safe than sorry.

I bought my seven year old zed three months ago with 13k miles on which had cracks between the treads on the rears. They still had 4mm on....

That's just sacrilage, people should be vetted to ensure that they can drive 'appropriately' prior to buying something like a 350Z :snack:

There has been talk of adding a best before date to rubber dated 6 years after the manufacturing date. Running tyres after this date would probably invalidate insurance in the case of an accident. However like any BB date, they're probably fine for another couple of years after in reality.