AMS lightweight pulleys

Dblock

I fitted the AMS pulleys to my car last week. Now I have an auto so it may differ from your car and installation was much harder than if you had a manual. :D

The AMS kit comes with 3 pulleys. Crank, Alternator and Idler.

So after ages of fitting them finally put everything back together and started it up. No belt squeal which I had before for about 3-4seconds. Blipped the throttle nothing really changed. Everything was the exact same. Alternator was charging how it should have been as it is only lightweight and not under driven. :#1:

So got out of my drive way not expecting much but WOW! big difference! The throttle is so so so much lighter and responsive. Its like the engine just wants to rev now B) . The rev needle climbs very quickly now. Between 1-2krpm it takes away that sluggish and lethargic feeling. Now it feels perky and alive. It can catch you out if you aren't careful. Just driving normal there is still a difference less pedal pressure is needed to accelerate and it does it with less effort, making the car feel even more powerful and torquey.

Because the throttle is much more responsive it makes the car feel lighter. I know it inst but it feels more sprightly it takes away that slight delay before the car goes. You also have more control over the throttle now as it feels less "all or nothing". I find it more enjoyable driving day to day. I don't really think this mod has a downside really. Decats give you more power but usually higher up the rev range and a spacer gives you more mid range but honestly I feel like this has made the biggest difference. Usually to feel mods you need to really drive the car so on a b road blast you can feel this or tell its doing that but with the pulleys they just work and from low rpm which is great.

The old OEM stock pulley was very heavy compared to this one. Like 10-20 times the weight. The ALT pulley is tiny but the new pulley is slightly lighter. I also removed the top idler pulley as it does nothing and I run the same belt as a Rev up but my car is an 03. But with the kit you can change this to a lightweight pulley.

So basically I really rate this mod. It makes a big difference even going 60-70mph but not accelerating hard. Day to day driving is nicer and it makes the car more responsive. I havent drove a 350 with a throttle controller but I have other cars and it feels similar to them but this is a real gain. About the same cost too if I remember right. Doesnt really come with any downsides TBH. One thing is I dont think you seem to gain anything above 4-4.5krpm though.

Also "gain" is the wrong word as it cant really be measured on a dyno but the engine is spinning alot less weight and less drag and it feels great now. IMO I would put this next to plenum spacer. :thumbs:

• Like 1

:lol:

Was this purchased in the Group buy about a year ago, that's taken a while to fit.

Great write up,

I have a couple of sets in stock at the moment if anyone's interested in a set :pmtarmac:

Yes I know :lol:

Installation is much easier on manuals. On an auto the whole front end needs taken off so you can get an impact wrench in there. Needed a puller too. But it wasn't that bad I suppose. Manuals can be cranked with a bar lodged in place and you can lock the crank by putting it in 6th.

The pulleys also look great compared to the old ones and the feel like they are made to last.

• 7 months later...

Care to substantiate? What about the galvanic corrosion between the aluminium and steel shafts assuming the shaft and nut is steel. Not that I am an expert in such matters but I am sceptical of fitting parts that have not been design proven for daily driving.

Edited by scubapics

Care to substantiate? What about the galvanic corrosion between the aluminium and steel shafts assuming the shaft and nut is steel. Not that I am an expert in such matters but I am sceptical of fitting parts that have not been design proven for daily driving.

Best pulleys on market.

The collar is steel. If your concerned about the nut on the pulley just grease it up.

Ams did their research.

Edited by Dblock

I had one issue with coil overs with a member, to be fair to AMS they said they would look at it but the customer was busy so didn't get chance to send them back to them to investigate the issue, we worked something out between us and if he needs anything I sort him out.

The Pulleys are great but there's not enough other products to make up a decent amount to ship.

There's a few brands like this that will be going I'm afraid.

• 3 months later...

I fitted the AMS pulleys to my car last week. Now I have an auto so it may differ from your car and installation was much harder than if you had a manual. grin.gif

The AMS kit comes with 3 pulleys. Crank, Alternator and Idler.

So after ages of fitting them finally put everything back together and started it up. No belt squeal which I had before for about 3-4seconds. Blipped the throttle nothing really changed. Everything was the exact same. Alternator was charging how it should have been as it is only lightweight and not under driven. 1a.gif

So got out of my drive way not expecting much but WOW! big difference! The throttle is so so so much lighter and responsive. Its like the engine just wants to rev now coolio.gif . The rev needle climbs very quickly now. Between 1-2krpm it takes away that sluggish and lethargic feeling. Now it feels perky and alive. It can catch you out if you aren't careful. Just driving normal there is still a difference less pedal pressure is needed to accelerate and it does it with less effort, making the car feel even more powerful and torquey.

Because the throttle is much more responsive it makes the car feel lighter. I know it inst but it feels more sprightly it takes away that slight delay before the car goes. You also have more control over the throttle now as it feels less "all or nothing". I find it more enjoyable driving day to day. I don't really think this mod has a downside really. Decats give you more power but usually higher up the rev range and a spacer gives you more mid range but honestly I feel like this has made the biggest difference. Usually to feel mods you need to really drive the car so on a b road blast you can feel this or tell its doing that but with the pulleys they just work and from low rpm which is great.

The old OEM stock pulley was very heavy compared to this one. Like 10-20 times the weight. The ALT pulley is tiny but the new pulley is slightly lighter. I also removed the top idler pulley as it does nothing and I run the same belt as a Rev up but my car is an 03. But with the kit you can change this to a lightweight pulley.

So basically I really rate this mod. It makes a big difference even going 60-70mph but not accelerating hard. Day to day driving is nicer and it makes the car more responsive. I havent drove a 350 with a throttle controller but I have other cars and it feels similar to them but this is a real gain. About the same cost too if I remember right. Doesnt really come with any downsides TBH. One thing is I dont think you seem to gain anything above 4-4.5krpm though.

Also "gain" is the wrong word as it cant really be measured on a dyno but the engine is spinning alot less weight and less drag and it feels great now. IMO I would put this next to plenum spacer. thumbs.gif

I have a revup does that mean the top idler pulley isnt on my engine?

I had one issue with coil overs with a member, to be fair to AMS they said they would look at it but the customer was busy so didn't get chance to send them back to them to investigate the issue, we worked something out between us and if he needs anything I sort him out.

The Pulleys are great but there's not enough other products to make up a decent amount to ship.

There's a few brands like this that will be going I'm afraid.

I recently been looking at your website an it says 2-3 working days for ams pulley set, do you still sell them or not?

Yes you should have thr newer style pulley set up. Now I just use a rev up belt.

Thanks for the info! Also the smallest one is the idle pulley yes? Could i possibly leave out that pulley and leave it oem? As iv looked up a set of second hand ones but the idler might have been skimmed down therefore offsetting balance a little or would that be ok to put on?

octet has some for sale but I've had to hold off buying any toys for the moment, as I wanted them as well :(

I think maybe in July I can sort something out (need cash for a few other bits for now) but if Tarmac cannot supply AMS any longer, is there an alternative ?

(the Stillen ones seem prevalent on ebay).

But no idea about those or others on ebay/resellers having the steel collars like the AMS ones :wacko:

Out of curiosity, what do these terms mean ?

Underdrive or Standard driven

Yes you should have thr newer style pulley set up. Now I just use a rev up belt.

Thanks for the info! Also the smallest one is the idle pulley yes? Could i possibly leave out that pulley and leave it oem? As iv looked up a set of second hand ones but the idler might have been skimmed down therefore offsetting balance a little or would that be ok to put on?

The smallest pulley is the alternator pulley. You don't need the idler if your rubbing a Rev up.

I wouldn't personally as I don't like under driving the alternator. Are the groves still there for the belt? You might be ok but it sounds a little to ghetti mod to me.