What gear do you use at 30mph?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What gear do you use at 30mph?

• 4th
    • 3rd
    • 2nd (Feel the noise!)
    • 6th
    • 5th

Around town I'm in 4th or 5th at 30mph, usually 5th. But the roads are very flat in Norfolk and traffic is free flowing.

Due to the supercharger, If I'm in 2nd or 3rd and not accelerating there is so much air flowing from the Bypass valve that it sounds like a taxiing jet going through town! :blush:

Out of town I use 1st, 2nd and 3rd to redline then straight to 6th. :evil::drive1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back very briefly to when I asked about how gear ratios work, I asked a mate who explained that you simply multiply the given gear ratio by the final drive ratio. Using the two examples I gave, and just to show what difference the FD can make on a car, here's a couple of graphs I knocked up:

911350zratio.jpg

Top one is original ratios, bottom one is multiplied by the final drive. Given the Zed has a marginally shallower curve, I'd say that it's probably got a closer 'box than the 911 does. However, you can now see why the 911 feels so much quicker than a 350 (and why the FI Zeds feel bonkers) as you've got a load more power but an almost identical curve. Of course, we're now miles off tangent but I thought it would be interesting to view the comparison. :)

For sh*ts and giggles, here's the chart comparing the two cars above with a host of options that the Cobra kitcar builders have. The T56 is the spec my mate is using on a 427 block, the other specs are the gearings used on the original Cobras, in both close ratio and wide ratio options in two different FDs:

Allgearratios.jpg

:scare::scare::scare:

:shrug: the curves in both the top two graphs look the same to me :headhurt::shrug:

so what makes a 911 feel a lot faster than a 350Z? also, what do the numbers up the side mean? i'm guessing the numbers on the bottom are the gear, but neither axis is labelled... :surrender:

Vertical axis is gear ratio (top graph is before FD, bottom graph after) and horizontal is indeed gear. There's some very subtle differences between the two graphs if you look closely, but it's also highlighting that despite the ratios being different on paper, once you add the FD they're very close. Really it would be worth doing a graph overlaying the ratios with speed as well, plus showing the power/torque curves too.

As for what makes a 911 feel faster than a 350Z, about 100bhp more, 100kg less and a different power/torque curve will do that :)

I am a bit short of cash at the moment as I've just spent a large sum of money to get my business off the ground :blush::thumbdown:

i have a new business too; if your interested i can help you out.

basically all you have to do is go out on a few dates that i'll arrange for you, wine them and dine them, then at the end of the evening they'll give you some cash, and its a 70/30 split in my favour. if they give you any grief let me know and i'll sort them out.

we can have a business meeting later, you'll know its me as i'm the one in the giant fur coat, lots of bling and the big cane with the huge diamond on the top and the sunglasses.

;)

only kidding,

best of luck with the new business :thumbs:

How much is this experience likely to cost? I have my £0.99 of expendable income per month which I may wish to spend? How many months should I save for an evening with Mistress Twobears? :lol:

How much is this experience likely to cost? I have my £0.99 of expendable income per month which I may wish to spend? How many months should I save for an evening with Mistress Twobears? :lol:

I think you can expect some change :lol:

:blackeye:

sadly i couldn't get her on my books,

but i currently have SMD doing a discount on a reach around, if thats of any interest?

but i currently have SMD doing a discount on a reach around, if thats of any interest?

I'd expect change! :lol:

I'd expect change! :lol:

To be fair you would deserve it :lol:

See you saturday morning if your a brave boy :winkiss:

You can drive in 6th from 25 mph :lol: I often go stick it in 6th at 30mph. Engine doesn't struggle to pick up at all :)

Ok I must have done the last 40k in another car then :wacko:

30 in 6th gear would almost stall the engine so if that isn't struggling then I don't know what is, this thread is getting bizarre :scare:

If you guys want to drive at 30mph in top gear I suggest you get a nissan micra at least then there will be a small amount of pleasure gained from the experience :surrender:

30 in 6th gear would almost stall the engine so if that isn't struggling then I don't know what is, this thread is getting bizarre :scare:

If you guys want to drive at 30mph in top gear I suggest you get a nissan micra at least then there will be a small amount of pleasure gained from the experience :surrender:

Do you honestly stay in 2nd doing say, 30-40 in traffic?

I just don't see the point in revving at 3k+ everywhere, especially when you're barely moving.

Country roads with no traffic, well that's what the other 3.5k revs are for.

You can drive in 6th from 25 mph :lol: I often go stick it in 6th at 30mph. Engine doesn't struggle to pick up at all :)

Exactly my thoughts. I am trying to figure out whether 3/4 of the people are taking the micky. If there was an emergency situation and you suddenly needed to accelerate for whatever reason, you would be screwed sitting in 6th at 25mph. Same for things like going round corners, engine braking,etc. I genuinely don't understand how any reasonable driver can drive around at 30mph in 6th in the zed.

3rd gear at 30 is around 2.2-2.3k revs. Once you go below 1.8k, you're losing control of your car.

why labour the engine if you can;t go anywhere?

30 mph in traffic in a 30 zone with cars infront the car will happily pootle in 6th.

if you look at auto boxes and alot of the new eco cars that tell you the most economical gear to be in when driving always move you to the highest possible gear when its most suitable.

of course in spirited driving or needing quick engine responce then yes you want to be near the 3k mark.

I genuinely don't understand how any reasonable driver can drive around at 30mph in 6th in the zed.

3rd gear at 30 is around 2.2-2.3k revs. Once you go below 1.8k, you're losing control of your car.

what do you expect to need to accelerate out of at 30mph in traffic? your more likely to need to brake than you are to accelerate.

Thats 'cause yours is broke!

Seriously when there is a stream of cars in front 1100-1200 rpm plus is all you need. The zed is making nearly as much torque at that speed as some golf sized hatchback ever manage. When the road is clear then sure, open it up but when you can not use the power why have it on tap and ready to go?

Exactly my thoughts. I am trying to figure out whether 3/4 of the people are taking the micky. If there was an emergency situation and you suddenly needed to accelerate for whatever reason, you would be screwed sitting in 6th at 25mph. Same for things like going round corners, engine braking,etc. I genuinely don't understand how any reasonable driver can drive around at 30mph in 6th in the zed.

Really? I mean really? Losing control of your car?

Do you realise just how much torque some cars have at 1.8k? A z06 vette will pull away from 0 in 6th let alone at 1.8k.

If you're not moving much and you're stuck in traffic, the only thing you'll be needing to do is brake, not accelerate, admittedly there's less engine braking when in 6th, but from that sort of speed, it's not going to make that much odds.

I think also, you'll find it doesn't take particularly long to change gears.

In a way, he's correct as any IAM trained driver will tell you. You do lose a certain amount of control, however I tend to subscribe to the book of needing to brake rather than accelerate at those speeds.

Rich put it best at the top of this page.

I can see what your saying, but seriously, why is everyone taking this so seriously?

Surely people that are 'trained' in the secret art of driving don't ALWAYS drive in a set gear at a set speed......eyes on stalks waiting for a reason to suddenly need to floor it.

Everyone drives a little different. As long as its sensible for the road conditions.