Slowing down is now more fun than accelerating

Dave172

After a track day I now understand the need to heal and toe .

And haveing spent the last month perfecting it was just wanting to no if it was something other people done while day to day driving or is it just me ? Or is there more useful technique out there

Sounds like a disease, can someone explain

Basically you blip the throttle when changing down a gear to match the gearbox revs to the engine revs to get a completely smooth and seamless downshift. Doing this means you're not upsetting the balance of the car as you brake.

I tend to us the ball of my foot and big toe to brake and the side of my foot to blip the throttle.

On my zed, at least, its very useful as it tends to want to lose traction at the rear when changing down without heal+toe. I'm talking about on track, not just popping down the shops... :D

I tend to us the ball of my foot and big toe to brake and the side of my foot to blip the throttle.

On my zed, at least, its very useful as it tends to want to lose traction at the rear when changing down without heal+toe. I'm talking about on track, not just popping down the shops... :D

you not feel the need in spirited road driving ? i think it makes a big difference ? ?

I tend to heal and toe if i'm in a "spirited" drive but if i'm driving more sedately I skip it, just when needs must.

This is what I used to do in the 350z. If you dont need to slow down quickly then I'd just down change and blip using just engine braking to slow down, only using heel-toe when I needed to brake at the same time :thumbs:

If you can do it properly it will save wear and tear on the gearbox and clutch so well worth doing if you can.

Hmmmm its definitely a useful technique to learn, but more relevant on track I found. In normal day to day driving I don't bother, as I can only heel and toe smoothly when I'm braking quite hard, which I don't normally do on roads as my GF is normally in the car!

However get it right and you feel like and absolute hero!

Hmmmm its definitely a useful technique to learn, but more relevant on track I found. In normal day to day driving I don't bother, as I can only heel and toe smoothly when I'm braking quite hard, which I don't normally do on roads as my GF is normally in the car!

Initially I justified it to the wife as it saving wear and tear on the car, and continued to remind her it was a sports car, now she double de-clutches while changing down so as to not damage the car, don't think she heal and toe's, but who knows whats he does in my car when i'm not there to supervise.