Fitted D2's to my 09 Zed

Jo3ly

picked up a set of D2 coil overs and fitted them to my 350 last night. I was surprised how easy it was to fit them all, definitely been more tricky on all my other cars!

pics below :)

Before -

3dfc76cf.jpg

c201dfa0.jpg

63fea6ec.jpg

fitting pics...

a54037b0.jpg

34b2ee3a.jpg

107785a3.jpg

04a3e8b4.jpg

it got dark by the time i finished last night so here are a couple of pics from this morning...

eb32cc6e.jpg

f20abd68.jpg

6b683e7f.jpg

haven't had a chance to play around with the height yet, i think the rear is a bit too low so may raise it a touch...

im fitting some 19s with stretched tyres soon so unsure whether to get the wheel alignment set up now on these wheels or just wait til the new wheels are fitted? Any thoughts? Il be re-fitting the Rays for track use so want to have the suspension suitable for both sets of wheels as i don't want to be adjusting all the suspension and alignment for every track day i do...

Allignment will need doing regardless of which wheels you go for.

When you drop the car that much and are banging around underneath, the alignment goes all to hell. :thumbs:

Allignment will need doing regardless of which wheels you go for.

When you drop the car that much and are banging around underneath, the alignment goes all to hell. :thumbs:

yeah i thought as much!

If i get my alignment set up for the Rays, then add spacers and change the wheels, will the alignment need doing again? This is my issue as i want to use both sets of wheels every now and again...

If i get my alignment set up for the Rays, then add spacers and change the wheels, will the alignment need doing again? This is my issue as i want to use both sets of wheels every now and again...

I asked this question when I had my coilovers fitted the other week and was told that which wheels you have, with or without spacers will make no difference to the alignment. However, if you change the wheels the ride height may change a bit due to the difference in diameter of the wheel/tyre combo and if that then leads you adjust the ride height on the coilovers then you would need to align again.

For example, if you replace the standard front wheels and 225/45R18 tyres with 19" front wheels using 245/35R19 tyres then the diameter would reduce by nearly 6mm, so the car would be 3mm closer to the ground and you'd have 3mm more gap under the arch. That's all fine unless you then drop the car another 3mm to lose the arch gap, or raise another 3mm to restore the ground clearance.

Do the later Z's have a different rear suspension setup? As they look like true coilovers i.e. do away with the separate oem spring that is located under the car. (wish I could have done that but the reinforcement you need on the wheel arch is too much hassle)

Looks nice and will suit big wheels :thumbs:

Do the later Z's have a different rear suspension setup? As they look like true coilovers i.e. do away with the separate oem spring that is located under the car. (wish I could have done that but the reinforcement you need on the wheel arch is too much hassle)

Nope the later cars aren't any different mate.

You are correct those are true coilovers. I'm sure there was some reports of distortion with true coilovers without reinforcements

You are correct those are true coilovers. I'm sure there was some reports of distortion with true coilovers without reinforcements

Will be interesting to see how they preform then :bounce:

What sort of reinforcements need to be done? They seem to be performing well at the moment, bit concerned I should look at the above now though...

What sort of reinforcements need to be done? They seem to be performing well at the moment, bit concerned I should look at the above now though...

I'm not too sure mate to be honest. It was just through people talking about changing to rear true coilovers as the top strut wasnt designed to take the pressure from the spring. Maybe other guys with more experience with changing to true coilovers will be able to give more info. Its usually the guys that are into drifting that change to true coilovers I think

link

That thread started off about fitting to a G35 I believe, then went onto discussion about fitting them in a Z. Id be interested in any other info you turn up, I want to get true coilovers fitted but im holding out at the moment.

Damn I reply slow on this tablet! Beaten to it :boxing:

cheers guys, il have a read of the link above. :)

Personally, i think a company the size of D2 would never globally sell anything for a car that doesnt come with any warning or advice on possisble damage their product will cause if fitted without XYZ...

If any damage did come from fitting their suspension, they would be the first people i would call to pay my repair bill and can only assume they couldnt object as per the above? (which leads me to believe the true coilovers will be fine as they are)

On another note, does anyone have any reccomendations for a good coilover set up company? i want the height/tracking/dampning etc. adjusted propperly by someone that has all the gear. im in the epsom, surrey area but can travel if its not too far...

If any damage did come from fitting their suspension, they would be the first people i would call to pay my repair bill and can only assume they couldnt object as per the above?

Try ......... nope. :surrender:

From D2's own instructions:

All D2 products are used for racing cars, vehicles operating on non-normal road conditions and also vehicles for demonstration purpose.

D2’s products should not be used in vehicles operating on normal road conditions.

This product can only be fitted in a racing car or a car for demonstration and other vehicles fitted with special equipment and is not suitable for driving on normal road conditions.

This product is not permitted to be fitted in vehicles operating on normal roads.

This was all from the Swedish D2 site but you can bet it holds true for UK as well.

Very, very few aftermarket parts are actually fully tested and declared totally safe by an independant body, the only one I know of that you see much is the German TuV - although there are apparently BS standards as well Im certainly not familiar with them. It means that pretty much anyone can start banging out parts as long as they say its "not for road use" and not have any comebacks.

Scary huh ?? :D

cheers guys, il have a read of the link above. :)

Personally, i think a company the size of D2 would never globally sell anything for a car that doesnt come with any warning or advice on possisble damage their product will cause if fitted without XYZ...

If any damage did come from fitting their suspension, they would be the first people i would call to pay my repair bill and can only assume they couldnt object as per the above? (which leads me to believe the true coilovers will be fine as they are)

On another note, does anyone have any reccomendations for a good coilover set up company? i want the height/tracking/dampning etc. adjusted propperly by someone that has all the gear. im in the epsom, surrey area but can travel if its not too far...

All this talk of re-inforcement needed is all rubbish in my opinion. The force exerted by a damper under sharp bump conditions is massive compared to the relatively small force added by compressing a 10kg/mm (guess) spring. I wouldn't be worried......

Poor guy will be scared to drive his car now!!!

As for ride height and damping set up, unless your doing any serious track work I would just set the height for cosmetic looks whilst still being practical on english roads. Damping will generally be set up by subjective feel, so have a stab yourself or get a good/professional driver to give you an opinion.

IIRC you can only adjust D2's for compression damping in which case there will only be a relatively small window of adjustment. Just have a play, if you can't feel the difference then go look into other options.

Cheers,

Andy

It's the spring that holds the weight of the car mate. What it effectively does is put the whole weight of the car on the top mount which is clearly not designed for it otherwise Nissan would have done it instead of then separate spring set up.

It's not the force compressing its the fact the weight is being supported at the top mount now along with the pressure of the dampening. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but what you have stated above is silly

It's the spring that holds the weight of the car mate. What it effectively does is put the whole weight of the car on the top mount which is clearly not designed for it otherwise Nissan would have done it instead of then separate spring set up.

It's not the force compressing its the fact the weight is being supported at the top mount now along with the pressure of the dampening. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but what you have stated above is silly

That is correct, however the force of supporting the weight of the car and compressing the spring in relatively small compared to the forces created from fast loading onto the damper.

Think of it this way, if you removed your damper and hit a large bump at speed the wheel would immediately hit the inner arch. Now add the damper back in and all that force is transmitted thru the damper into the top mount.

edit: the above is a very simplistic view and by no means the whole truth but gives you an idea of how much more load is input thru the top mount compared spring + compression

Yeah I almost agree but the argument put across is that the top mount cannot take both forces and causes distortion. This developed from guys that drift and race having to reinforce the top to take the true coilovers