Turning my zed into a track day car

Luke0549

Hi there,

I had a '03 jdm non gt spec. That I want to turn into a track day car.

Obviously I need to upgrade parts in order to not ruin the car.

I have a few questions.

Brakes

Are the brembo calipers good quality or is it better to go for something more? Full brembo set with discs, pads etc will probably cost in the region on £800 and with a bbk being roughly £1000, is it worth the extra £200+? And any preferred brand?

Tyres/wheels

I have the standard 17's, what's the best lightweight track day wheels to upgrade to? Are the 18 rays good quality? Or is there a better wheel to have instead. Also, size, I'm guessing 18's will be better that 17's? Also r888 tyres are what I have my eye on. For track day use.

Suspension

I haven't looked too much into this ATM, need to do a bit more reading. But, what's the preferred coil over set up to upgrade to? What mm drop should I be looking at going to?

Apologies for the lack of knowledge!

Hi there,

I have a few questions.

Brakes

Are the brembo calipers good quality or is it better to go for something more? Full brembo set with discs, pads etc will probably cost in the region on £800 and with a bbk being roughly £1000, is it worth the extra £200+? And any preferred brand?

Tyres/wheels

I have the standard 17's, what's the best lightweight track day wheels to upgrade to? Are the 18 rays good quality? Or is there a better wheel to have instead. Also, size, I'm guessing 18's will be better that 17's? Also r888 tyres are what I have my eye on. For track day use.

Suspension

I haven't looked too much into this ATM, need to do a bit more reading. But, what's the preferred coil over set up to upgrade to? What mm drop should I be looking at going to?

The brembos certainly aren't bad, I guess it depends on how much time you'll be spending at the track.

The rays are very light, I think you need them or bigger for the brembo calipers. They're good wheels.

I'd think of stripping out what you can, the zed is imo a bit of a porker.

It's well known that whilst the 350Z is a great car, it isn't an ideal thing to convert into a track weapon, unless you have deep pockets. As you are querying whether an extra £200 over £800 is worth spending I would suggest that a different car might be more suitable. Your car is probably worth about £5K and you will probably spend £2500K if you are looking at upgrading the import brakes, getting trackday rubber and and a coilover suspension. Then Rays will be £400 for a tatty set.

For £8-9K you could get something like an S1 Elise. Alternatively, throw the lot at an MX-5 and you will have an awesome track car :thumbs:

Probably not the answer you want to hear but.......

Providing you are not planning on running huge power then the Brembo calipers will be fine married up to decent rotors and pads.

No need to go BBK as it increases your unsprung weight which is a huge disadvantage.

18" Rays with decent tyres will be good. Rays are very strong and light.

Loads of choice for coilovers to suit all budgets.

Plenty Brembo brake kits in stock :thumbs:

Limited Rays wheels in stock :thumbs:

Geometry correction arms in stock :thumbs:

888s in stock :thumbs:

Slicks in stock :thumbs:

Wets in stock :thumbs:

Drop me a PM if you require any help with this venture :drive1:drive1:drive1

Alex. :)

you will probably spend £2500K

LOL, thats quite an outlay - sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the 350Z are quite underrated as a track car. Granted, they're not ideal out of the box but with decent pads and fluid some coilovers and bushes they're great. Even better if you remove as much weight as possible.

My 350z is a dedicated track car - you may not want to go this far but its great fun on track: viewtopic.php?f=176&t=57436

With regards to brakes and wheels - Brembo and Rays will be the best value options - light and inexpensive.

Thanks for the feedback, I know the zed isn't the lightest thing, but I'm looking for enjoyment and not trying to break lap time records.

I'm not going for huge power, just having it n/a.

Zmanalex, I'll be dropping you a pm soon!!

Anybody got any suggestions on coil over set ups?

I can recommend HSD or BC Racing as good value for money. They're about as cheap as you'd want to go. I'm running Racing Logic on mine, which are very similar (if on tthe same) as HSD.

We supply HSD, BC Racing, Tein and Ohlins - get in touch if you need any more advise :)

Thanks for the feedback, I know the zed isn't the lightest thing, but I'm looking for enjoyment and not trying to break lap time records.

I'm not going for huge power, just having it n/a.

Zmanalex, I'll be dropping you a pm soon!!

Anybody got any suggestions on coil over set ups?

Glad to hear that you have got your Mr sensible hat on :lol::lol::lol:

You are approaching this in the correct frame of mind and you will have a hoot with the Zee on track once you sort your brakes, tyres, suspension and you shed a bit weight.

I have been running circa 650 bhp on my track 350Z Roadster for 5 years now so I am in a position to be able to guide you through the do's and dont's for loadsa track fun. :drive1

Once you are sorted then basically all you will have to do is keep the car in fuel, tyres and brakes.

Regarding coil overs, there are many options as I have previously said, however much will depend on your budget and if you really can be bothered with 3 way adjustment as I know of many peeps who have bought expensive 3 way coil overs and never readjusted them after the initial settings, so this is the area which IMHO requires the most consideration. The rest is a no brainer. :thumbs:

Alex :)

May I add anti roll bars and bracings too!

As Alex said mate. Rays are spot on especially with a set of 888s or slicks. Brembo calipers are ok but you ll need braided lines and some good brake fluid.

Go for adjustable coilovers if you wanna drive your car round town too.

You ll need a stronger clutch when your clutch dies....and that will happen fairly quickly on the track.

And a limited slip diff for very very good fun :)

It's not a cheap sport in the zed mate....you ll need fairly deep pockets.

May I add anti roll bars and bracings too!

As Alex said mate. Rays are spot on especially with a set of 888s or slicks. Brembo calipers are ok but you ll need braided lines and some good brake fluid.

Go for adjustable coilovers if you wanna drive your car round town too.

You ll need a stronger clutch when your clutch dies....and that will happen fairly quickly on the track.

And a limited slip diff for very very good fun :)

It's not a cheap sport in the zed mate....you ll need fairly deep pockets.

Hello stranger :thumbs::)

I do the occasional track day and I always remember what I was told 40 years ago, "if you want to drive fast, first set your car up to brake fast" i.e suspension and brakes then look at getting fast. If you see what I mean.

I do the occasional track day and I always remember what I was told 40 years ago, "if you want to drive fast, first set your car up to brake fast" i.e suspension and brakes then look at getting fast. If you see what I mean.

Exactly, better brakes:brake later!

Hi there,

I have a few questions.

Brakes

Tyres/wheels

Suspension

I'm about to part out my car which may have some bits you'd like. Took my time from 1:28 to 1:25 at Castle Combe after the changes.

Brakes

Brembos with EBC pads and DBA4000 discs on the front and DBA2500 on the back. Uprated brake lines.

Wheels

18" Rota Torque Drifts with new (today) Falkens on the front and the rears are only a few months old

Suspension

Eibach pro anti-roll bar

Engine

Plenum spacer, Berks high flow cats, Abbey Up Rev (I think I can sell you the licence and then you get it mapped) D1 spec throttle controller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f222otgpbw&list=UU4DDF1Q6InWXkVKscz1ij7w&index=2&feature=plcp

I think the 350Z are quite underrated as a track car. Granted, they're not ideal out of the box but with decent pads and fluid some coilovers and bushes they're great. Even better if you remove as much weight as possible.

Totally agree, me and him up there had great fun going past most everything at Bedford a while ago. I really dont know where this image of them not being that fast comes from, they handle really nicely and are so communicative that you can spank them round a track and surprise a lot of "faster" cars :)

Coilovers and tyres and as much power out of the engine as possible and you are good to go IMO. :thumbs:

you will probably spend £2500K

LOL, thats quite an outlay - sorry, couldn't resist.

Haha, no worries Jez ;)

Admittedly a couple of grand isn't megabucks to achieve a great track car and I can see how great it would be with a bit of prep. I'm a lazy git so personally I'd want something great out of the box which wouldn't need putting back together come resale time :lol:

Anybody have any opinions regarding running 17's or 18's?

I know 17's will clear brembos, so that's not an issue. Just wondering handling aspect?

I've seen some lightweight 17's at a very good price and personally prefer to the 18 rays.

Think I've read before somewhere you should aim for smallest diameter but widest possible?

The rays are probably one of the lightest wheels.

When it comes to a track car don't worry about looks. Deal with the important things first. What 17's are you talking about as chances are that they are heavier than the 18's?

17's will be slightly cheaper for tyres but you will have bigger sidewalls which could make the feel of the car worse due to sidewalls flexing.

The other thing Id say is unless its going to be track only (i.e. trailered to events) or competed in, leave a bit of interior and all the soundproofing in it. The comfort loss isnt worth losing 100KG IMO.

+1 I put my but plastics back in as the noise and look wasn't worth losing 20kg over imo

I'm in the process of coverting my Z into a good (fun/capable) track car (for a few track days) but maintaining the sleeper/good for road use characteristics that I love about it.

Thus far I've polybushed the front (rear in the next week or five), coilovers, new discs (just ADL), hawk HP+ pads all round, stainless hoses, camber arms and ATE Super Racing Blue fluid. I've driven it for the first time with only the front done and the difference is night and day. I can't wait to get the rest done and get the geo setup properly :D

Have fun with it.

As others have said, there are better cars to start with but I like the Zed :)

Exactly, for the price I paid for the zed, it's at it's lowest depreciation point, might as well have as much enjoyment out of it.

I'm just deciding what to buy first really.

Going to do donington on 17th aug, so aim to have all breaks done by then. Go out and use the remainder of my tyres as they're coming to the end of their life.

Then either buy some rays with decent tyres, or a set of very good tyres for my 17's.

Then it's onto a full roll cage I've got my eyes on! Oh so excited :D