High Octane..really?

DaJimstar

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Of course not but the number of people who have ever owned a 350z and ONLY put in super won't be anywhere near 99%. Therefore as a huge number of people will have used 95ron fuel

Hmmmm. I feel a poll coming on :D

I agree 1000000% that that the current hysteria over a car's fuel history is crazy. It seems to be getting worse too.

I'm not saying that engines haven't blown, or that the experts who have discovered that it may be related to low octane fuel are wrong, just that it's been 'blown' out of all proportion.

I mean how on earther can ANYONE know the fuel history of ANY car. It ridiculous, based on current scaremongering no one will ever want to buy a Zed. That'd be a shame for people who might miss out on a great car, and a shame for people who want to sell one.

The poll should be :

"Have you regularly run your car on sh*t fuel, and if so did it go pop?".

I think that might calm the situation down.

It wasn't too many years ago that you ran a car on the lowest octane you could until you heard the engine knocking or pinking.

Most 4 star engines would run quite happily on 3 star without any problems.

I am not saying that you should do it with the zed, but it makes you think :thumbs:

It wasn't too many years ago that you ran a car on the lowest octane you could until you heard the engine knocking or pinking.

Most 4 star engines would run quite happily on 3 star without any problems.

Yeah a 2 minute (if that) DIY job to advance or retard your ignition to suit the fuel you were using. Cost you £500 these days :lol:

Pete

Ive just lost an SR20 bottom end because a ring broke up, probably from damage caused before I put the engine in my car... SR20's also have knock detection

Turbo engines with aftermarket ECUs and/or boost controllers are 1000x more like to detonate than a non-turbo running conservative factory maps.

Knock can only occur when there's a lot of fuel being thrown in, i.e. full throttle and high revs. An early 350 would have to be driven like that constantly on regular octane to risk any damage.

Ive just lost an SR20 bottom end because a ring broke up, probably from damage caused before I put the engine in my car... SR20's also have knock detection

Turbo engines with aftermarket ECUs and/or boost controllers are 1000x more like to detonate than a non-turbo running conservative factory maps.

Actually, turbo engines with aftermarket ECU's generally dont have a problem as said ECU has been mapped for that specific engine and level of boost, its more likely to be a change in spec on a car running standard ECIU and standard ignition.

Knock can only occur when there's a lot of fuel being thrown in, i.e. full throttle and high revs. An early 350 would have to be driven like that constantly on regular octane to risk any damage.

You obviously have far more experience than me here, as Ive found its too little fuel that causes knocking, and that one instance lasting 2 seconds is more than enough to cause damage to the pistons or big ends.

Too much fuel can only really cause damage through hydraulic lock but you know that, right? :)

Actually, turbo engines with aftermarket ECU's generally dont have a problem as said ECU has been mapped for that specific engine and level of boost, its more likely to be a change in spec on a car running standard ECIU and standard ignition.

You obviously have far more experience than me here, as Ive found its too little fuel that causes knocking, and that one instance lasting 2 seconds is more than enough to cause damage to the pistons or big ends.

Too much fuel can only really cause damage through hydraulic lock but you know that, right? :)

This is my understanding too, the leaner the mixture, the better bang you get but the more risk of knock you accept. That's why you can run leaner on higher octane, because it's more resistant to being 'squeezed' before it goes bang without spark. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think docwra is as well.

DB

Wasn't it confirmed numerous times running low octane is perfectly fine for the engine? The ECU just adjusts and you may lose a few BHP. No Biggy.

The short answer is no. It was thought it would be ok on the high det map but when mappers started to look at the high det map properly it was learnt that it wasnt winding back the timing enough at high revs to stop it. No issue for most people on here, but prolonged use at high revs can cause damaged. On what has been seen so far, it takes a lot of miles to happen though.