Parent & Child spaces

I may have just noticed this more recently for obvious reasons, but what is it with people using spaces (specifically parent and child) that actually have no reason to do so?

I can honestly say Ive never used a space designated for parent and child, or disabled without having cause to do so (when taking disabled passenger to shops etc). Over the last few days Ive found it infuriating to see people returning to or just leaving cars in the parent and child spaces that have no reason to be using them.

Ive needed the space to get the pram and or child seat out, and without the space of the parent and child spaces, its a case of choosing a spot that has an empty one on either side so I can get Lewis and puschair out etc. This can cause an issue when I return if cars have parked either side (not their fault).

It has actually made my blood boil twice today. I swear Ill invest in a winch before long and just drag an offending vehicle out of a space in future. :angry:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but, if spaces were wider then it wouldn't happen. :shrug:

that is true, but as these companies dont make money on the car parks they need as many people in the shop spending as poss and not going elsewhere because they couldnt find a spot. sorry for stating the obvious.

I do agree though, if i'm in the zed i'll park at the furthest end of the car park across at least 2 spaces because or narrow spaces and inconsiderate ******** who ding your doors

I had exactly the same problem with the widths of spaces before I had the use of the Parent and Child bays - and indeed when Lewis isnt with me. If I want to avoid door dings, I just park further away and walk, or look for an end space and park as far over as I can.

The disabled and P&C spaces are wider because they physically need the space to get children and or car seats in & out of the car.

Im going to get into an argument with somebody in a car park over this issue before long I can see it coming. :blush::lol:

I had exactly the same problem with the widths of spaces before I had the use of the Parent and Child bays - and indeed when Lewis isnt with me. If I want to avoid door dings, I just park further away and walk, or look for an end space and park as far over as I can.

The disabled and P&C spaces are wider because they physically need the space to get children and or car seats in & out of the car.

Im going to get into an argument with somebody in a car park over this issue before long I can see it coming. :blush::lol:

I have done before when I've had my mum with me (needs a disabled spot - bad leg) and the guy just told me to **** off even though i asked him nicely if he'd mind giving me the spot so i could get my mum out the car. needless to say it didnt end up particularly polite after that

If that happened when I was taking Tracys dad anywhere (needs a disabled spot as he cant walk properly) - I would probably nip to the nearest garage, buy the toughest wheel clamp I can find, strap it on their car and throw the keys down a drain. After writing some suitable message on the clamp.

not a bad plan at all. i thought about letting all his tyres down, not slashing them but just out the valve. but though better of it, my ma was in the car and he was a complete rat so figured it would probs come back worse and wouldnt be worth the hassle

i occasionally use parent and child parking spaces, but only after 9PM my reasoning is the little sprogs should be in bed by then so parents don't need a special space at that time.

and i rank people who park across 2 bays at the same level as those who park in disabled bays,

only to$$ers take up 2 spaces if you can;t park properly buy a smaller car.

if i can get my barge of a car into those smaller spaces then so can everyone else.

Also people with children old enough to walk who park in those spaces are arses too. As are those that park in said spaces and the kids and Dad stay in the car whilst Mum goes shopping.

The Meadows in Camberley is an excellent example of inconsiderate moronic people. Plenty park all the time in the spaces for disabled people who clearly are not disabled in any way. I've even seen a white 350z parked in one on two occasions.

But that's today's society for you. You see it everywhere, even on forums...

I physically can't fit in one standard space. Width wise it's close but I manage, length wise I overhang by a good foot minimum. I just choose my spaces carefully.

I never park in parent and child or disables spaces. Only lazy inconsiderate people do.

Get them pulled out with the Rangie Chris!

and i rank people who park across 2 bays at the same level as those who park in disabled bays,

if i can get my barge of a car into those smaller spaces then so can everyone else.

you seem to be missing my point

you seem to be missing my point

you know's i love you matt; if its a half empty car park then double parking for me isn;t an issue. but there have been a couple of occasions in full carparks with no spaces, and 1 numpty who's double parked. its made my pi$$ boil :blush:

i feel your pain on the door ding front i've picke dup a couple as well; but it feels like a damned if you do and damned if you don't.

if you were double parked in order to give you space for a disabled person to get in and out fo yur car then fair play :thumbs:

but only after 9PM my reasoning is the little sprogs should be in bed by then so parents don't need a special space at that time.

The fact im up at 3:10 with a wide awake little one would demonstrate otherwise... :lol: maybe that's a reason why im so grumpy about it :lol:

The child being old enough to walk is no reason for not using the space either as they still have to get that child into a car seat, which will also require more room at the side of the car to aid them in and out of it.

The easiest thing to do if the Parent/ Child or Disabled Car Spaces are taken up by people who should not be in them report it to the Store Manager. He/She is in a position to actually do something about the problem :thumbs: .

The easiest thing to do if the Parent/ Child or Disabled Car Spaces are taken up by people who should not be in them report it to the Store Manager. He/She is in a position to actually do something about the problem :thumbs: .

True. I've had cars towed / clamped for people before. There is a sign saying it will happen so don't screw at me! ( I am a manager in retail)

True. I've had cars towed / clamped for people before. There is a sign saying it will happen so don't screw at me! ( I am a manager in retail)

Good for you :clap: I'm 100% with Chesterfield on this one - particularly re disabled spaces.

Good for you :clap: I'm 100% with Chesterfield on this one - particularly re disabled spaces.

most won't though.

At what time does the child become an adult is it age or size? Iv'e seen these equally abused by parents leaving their spotty 16 year old in a car so they can walk the twenty yards to the supermarket. Or a 6 foot kid pushing the trolley around without the ability to get their feet into the childs seat let alone their backside.My Mum,god bless her even into her eighties,used to moan that she had to bring up 6 kids and couldn't see any reason why the supermarkets had to have them.

These spaces are abused by everybody young and old, I try and park as far away as posssible I assume most z drivers do this but you just know it, you'll get back and some ar####le wil have cuddled up to you so you have to squeeze in. You could put a cross in the middle of the sahara desert with a sign saying "do not park here" and I don't need to tell you what would happen.

i dont have a problem with ths spaces... i do have a problem with why there are so darn many of them. At any one time they are 90% empty. Unless a whole fleet of elderly drivers appear (in which case RUN FOR YOUR LIVES a la that south park episode) they're always going to be more empty than full, and whats the point of that?

as for parent child spaces, do they really need to be separate from the disabled ones? just combine the two, and then remove about 75% of them, then make the normal spaces big enough to fit actual cars.

I have had many a run in using a disabled bay, my son is disabled, blind in fact, and as such has a blue badge, which in turn allows me or lisa to use a disabled bay IF my son is in the car.

I have had verbal abuse, notes left on my car one time nearly ended in fistycuffs as some bloke pushing a trolly past me, said a rather insulting comment under his breath to his wife, but close enough so i could hear it, well, he got both barrels of my tounge and had the fricking cheek to tell me to calm down :angry: His wife made an exit as did mine, and I was face to face with this pr1ck screaming foul abuse at him when he raised his hand too me, so in fight mode, and in order to protect myself, and knowing some close combat moves, he swiftly ended up on the tarmac on his arse, when the Sainsburys security pushed me away, and asked if the pr1ck on the floor was OK! My son was in the car BTW.

I had a Tesco security guard thrust his hand into my chest, son at my side, who said. Do you know you are parked in a disabled bay?

Told him that he had assulted me and I was going to take it further with his company, swiped his hand off my chest and told him to F--K OFF. When I was leaving the shop, he came along side me and made an apology, again he was to where to go.

My point is this:

How dare ANYONE says anything to anyone else without knowing the full facts of having a disabled person or child in a car. I will very happily defend my family and position without question.

However if someone had the courage to ask to see the badge instead of making comments to there partner, fair play.

So beacuse of the amount of busybodies minding other peoples business and not their own, We no longer park in disabled bays when my son is on board, and park as far away as possible.

It angers me that stupid car park planners seem to think a modern ecowarriors car is 36" wide, and then make the allocated space 37" wide, are these people stupid or what, or, are they made so tiny as to try and discourage the motorist from driving to save the planet :yawn:

I went to a shopping centre last weekend, was in a position that I coud only park between 2 cars, but as the 370 is wide, I couldnt even get in the space, cars either side were parked within their nominated restrictive boundary, so we had to either drive around looking for a suitably wide space or come home. I came home!

My best mate is disabled and in a wheelchair and you don't realise how much people need these slots, you try pushing an 18 stone bloke half a mile to the shops!!!!

I have in the past parked in the parent & child spot when i take my 80 year old mum to ASDA, there is no age limit is there :shrug:

i dont have a problem with ths spaces... i do have a problem with why there are so darn many of them. At any one time they are 90% empty.

+1 :thumbs: both disabled and parent/child spaces

Unless a whole fleet of elderly drivers appear (in which case RUN FOR YOUR LIVES a la that south park episode) they're always going to be more empty than full, and whats the point of that?

-1 :nono: Now that could equally be said about young male drivers who you see doing the handbrake turns etc in busy car parks and sadly the insurance stats show who create the most claims.....

I quite often see 'oldies' having to park a long way away while mums with very healthly youngsters pile out of their people carriers/4 x 4's in the parent/child spaces in 'pole position' for supermarket entrance. Many of the oldies are too proud to sign up for blue badges when they warrant one.

Sadly, you also see too many abuses in these private car parks but I always work on the principle that while you might be tempted to deck someone who you believe shouldn't be parking in the designated bays, if that person has chosen to put two fingers up to the normal rules chances are they will also be the ones who spoil for a fight and with the knife crime about.............. :shrug: