How easy is it to carbon wrap??

FUG

As the title goes..

How easy is it to wrap fairly small sections on the Zed with carbon fibre vinyl? Thinking of gettin a 3m or 5m roll and doing some small areas to spruce things up if its not too much of pain in the arse??

At the minute possabilities of wrapping maybe the rear strut bar centre section, front lip, door handles, front bumper reflectors... ?? Might start with removing and wrapping the reflectors to get an idea but if anyone has experience with self wrapping??

Cheers

It's fairly easy, just take your time and have a hairdryer / heatgun handy. i used 3m on the outside of my last car and it lasted well till i sold it. i did lacquer it though.

First thing i ever wrapped, was quite a complex shape to do for my first go so if i can do it anyone can.

20100725_003.jpg

your just up the road from me i'm in kesgrave :lol:

i have a few scraps of both lying around so you can see the difference between 3M and Hexis if thats any help

small world, i drive past kesgrave every day!

is there any difference between di-noc and hexis when it comes to easyness of wrapping ability?

ive not long had my zed and ive wrapped the side pillars, stereo surround, the alley on the standard gear knob. also my mates centre caps. its not to difficult but i wouldnt attempt to do a larger area!!

i also lacquered them up, to make EXTRA shiny

your just up the road from me i'm in kesgrave :lol:

i have a few scraps of both lying around so you can see the difference between 3M and Hexis if thats any help

small world, i drive past kesgrave every day!

is there any difference between di-noc and hexis when it comes to easyness of wrapping ability?

your always welcome to pop round to have a look.

as for wrapping with them i find the hexis easier to wrap with but more importantly i found their carbon finish more realistic. they are fairly similiar, i wouldn't say there is masses in it.

i did lacquer it though.

i'd be interested to know what laquer you used, i tried it on the hexis and it didn't like it. these were hexis

P1010545.jpg

but the hexis didn't like laquer

P1010536.jpg

it went all melty :wacko:

i'd be interested to know what laquer you used, i tried it on the hexis and it didn't like it. these were hexis

It was 3M mate. it went a bit darker and nice and glossy like in the pic

EDIT: was still half asleep this morning when i wrote that. the LACQUER was Halfords own (in the section where they have all the car body paints) , the VINYL was 3M

Anyone done the outside door handles? i really wanna do mine.

Imagine the door handles to be an absolute PITA to do.

You'd have to take them off the doors and disassemble them do achieve a good finish.

Also the extra thickness of the vinyl could make them a bit tight, also the chaffing from the opening / closing could soon wear through the vinyl.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this though because i'd like to see how it looks

I did it a while back. Lot of work. Thread should be somewhere on here. I can't search in detail as I'm the phone, but ill have a look for some pics and post up later. It's a lot of work, and the handles need spraying black first.

i done mine about few months ago and my front lip, both are holding up well look untouched actually front lip does a good job with stone chips just make sure if your doing handles you get right underneath the handle as i didnt and can feel were it ends if i forget can sometimes accidently peel the inside bit up other than that very glad i done them

• 2 weeks later...

Above pictured are handles done with 3M Di-NOC if I remember rightly

correct, they are 3m, i don't have the car or the handles any more. they were sold to Abbey motorsport, i did hear there were some issues with the vinyl lifting under neath er the handles. but apart form that i have no idea how they faired. i think the lifting issue was either down to it being 3M and not hexis, or it might have been the skill or the wrapper?

• 3 weeks later...

im going to wrap my front number plate surround too i think as looks so matt black cheap plastic currently - anyone tried this?

also on the subject how do you remove the rear number plate?? it looks stuck on, no screws etc unless its an internal jobby??