Viewed a demonstrator always run on 95 RON

mbcx4jrh

Hi,

I went to test drive a 370z GT Edition today... very nice.. only 1.5k miles on the clock but one thing concerned me: the salesman said that 95RON fuel could be used if you want, and then said that they run all their demonstrators on 95RON.

I was under the impression that 95 was only for emergencies until you could get some 97+ into it? is that true? and if so are there any implications for this given it's been used as a demo car *and* run on 95? or given it's only 1.5k it's neither here nor there?

Thanks

Joe

The 370z should sustain no real problem running on 95RON, unlike the 350z, as it has a knock sensor which operates all the way to the redline.

They should be running 98RON+ though, it tells you in the handbook and the filler cap, so personally I wouldnt touch a 370z that had been run on 95RON, there are loads out there at a good price and its just not worth the right that something *might* be wrong with it that you dont realise until well out of the warranty period. Even within warranty they might still try and say it was you running it on 95RON that damaged it even if you only ever used 98RON+.

Also if you follow Nissans bedding in procedure, it wont have done many miles at all being laboured or at high revs. So that also means the engine should be fine. But if people have taken it for a good spirited drive when its not been warmed up and not run in yet, thats less than idea.

In real terms we are talking very small risks, you are likely never to see any problem with it. But then again you might. Not sure its worth the risk to me.

I'd be more worried about a demonstrator being ragged from cold than I would about the use of 95. That said, I'd point out that the fuel filler cap states 98+ and then I'd use that as a haggling tool to get some more money off.

Thanks, the impression I get is: small if negligible risk, and use it to get some money off...

On another note the salesman mention that last month was the time to buy - nissan were offering them 8k off a new one - meaning brand new coupe for 26k.

I have always run on 97 (as it's available in several nearby petrol stations) on the assumption that the missing "1" is unlikely to make any difference. :shrug:

97RON is fine, its when you drop to 95RON the problems in the 350z start. Far to early to know if the 370z doesnt like 95RON for any other reason but with a knock sensor up to the redline, I dont see why it shouldnt be ok, but still not ideal. Perhaps we should get a demo car on 95RON on Abbey's dyno and see what it really does to it? :teeth:

I'd be more worried about a demonstrator being ragged from cold than I would about the use of 95. That said, I'd point out that the fuel filler cap states 98+ and then I'd use that as a haggling tool to get some more money off.

+1 - personally wouldn't go near a performance demonstrator for this reason... don't get me wrong - my Astra was an ex demo when I got it at 6 months old and was a cracking deal though that's a wee 1.6 chuggaboom :)

It was first thing I asked as mines was a demonstrator and they always put in Sainsburys higher octane fuel as it is actually the nearest petrol station, and when you go a test drive the salesman drives it for quite a few miles to a nice quiet country road where you can get a good feel for the car but at least it's always been warmed up first.

I have always run on 97 (as it's available in several nearby petrol stations) on the assumption that the missing "1" is unlikely to make any difference. :shrug:

97RON is fine, its when you drop to 95RON the problems in the 350z start. Far to early to know if the 370z doesnt like 95RON for any other reason but with a knock sensor up to the redline, I dont see why it shouldnt be ok, but still not ideal. Perhaps we should get a demo car on 95RON on Abbey's dyno and see what it really does to it? :teeth:

Could you explain this in dumb-ass English Chris?? I mean, what physical problems did 95RON cause the 350Z, what does a knock sensor do in a 370Z, why does it help?? Just interested.

Could you explain this in dumb-ass English Chris?? I mean, what physical problems did 95RON cause the 350Z, what does a knock sensor do in a 370Z, why does it help?? Just interested.

Wikipedia is your friend (shouldnt give away my secrets should I!) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

On the 350z, Abbey has seen a car that it stripped down where det had caused the pistons quite extensive damage over a long time. Shouldnt happen half as much (if at all) in a 370z, but I sure wouldnt take the risk when there are so many good examples out there.

When you think of all the rental cars out there that undoubtedly get ragged from brand new and the cheapest fuel has been used and yet I'm not aware of reports of major engine problems from these cars. I wouldn't ever buy one of those myself "second-hand" (more like a thousand-hand :lol: ) but the way the engines are built nowadays and the fuel/oil used suggests that perhaps us purists might be worrying too much ?

It certainly wouldn't bother me owning a demo car. My Zed was a Nissan dealer manager's car so I can only imagine the abuse that probably had, but the condition was immaculate and with a warranty behind it, I had no issues with buying it.

I thought the 370 basically had the same HR engine as the 313 had, but with slightly greater capacity? Does the 313 suffer from knocking problems on 95RON? Ive only ever put super unleaded in mine and dont really fancy testing it.

Unless we all buy brand new cars......... You'll never know. :shrug:

Then , those 10 delivery miles..... All from cold by people who want to move them quickly so they can go home/to the next job.

How long is a piece of string ?

I thought the 370 basically had the same HR engine as the 313 had, but with slightly greater capacity? Does the 313 suffer from knocking problems on 95RON? Ive only ever put super unleaded in mine and dont really fancy testing it.

I'd imagine neither the VQ35HR nor VQ37VHR would suffer much from poor fuel. The knock sensor will wind back the timing to *hopefully* a level where you dont get any knock. The major problem with the VQ35DE was that the knock sensor only worked until ~5kRPM. Under that and the high det map with knock sensor will protect the engine, above that though and it doesnt do anything. This is where I think Mark saw the problems. Given the 370z has knock sensor to the redline it should be fine. Plus its prolonged usage on 95RON that appears to cause the damage. No saying what a few short trips on a new motor would do. Probably nothing.

Then , those 10 delivery miles..... All from cold by people who want to move them quickly so they can go home/to the next job.

You'd kind of hope you can assume they dont redline it everywhere though :scare:

All this talk is very speculative. More than likely no damage has been done, and its only really a problem if you plan to keep it for a good few years and get it into the higher milages. We're only starting to see these problems on the very high milage 350z's now so just shift it at around 60k miles for another :lol:

Most people working at dealers have probably driven Z's and GTR's before and the novelty of thrashing around in demonstrators wears off pretty quickly.

Only the young servicing/washing monkeys are likely to be caning customer cars round the block!

Most people working at dealers have probably driven Z's and GTR's before and the novelty of thrashing around in demonstrators wears off pretty quickly.

Only the young servicing/washing monkeys are likely to be caning customer cars round the block!

Ive known mechanics at Honda, VW, Lexus and Skoda and all of them regularly will thrash customers cars. When I took my 350z to the local Nissan garage (only ever time ive taken it there), I caught the mechanic reving the living day lights out of it just because its got a race exhaust on it.

I think people like the Sales guys would probably have got bored of doing that sort of thing, and should they blow a car up or crash it, it wouldnt look good for their career.

Also demo cars, especially things like the 350z would have only been driven by customers under supervision of the sales person, and I think most people wouldnt be allowed to abuse a car with the salesman sitting next to them.

Ive happily bought 2 ex demo cars now from main dealers and not had any problems. They are usually 6 months or 12 months old, fully loaded and a lot cheaper than new.

Also demo cars, especially things like the 350z would have only been driven by customers under supervision of the sales person, and I think most people wouldnt be allowed to abuse a car with the salesman sitting next to them.

Not in my recent experience with the last 370's I have tried (two demos and one for sale) - they just took a copy of the licence signed the form about paying first x pounds in any insurance claim and threw me the keys with the word "Enjoy".

So I did :teeth::lol:

Not in my recent experience with the last 370's I have tried (two demos and one for sale) - they just took a copy of the licence signed the form about paying first x pounds in any insurance claim and threw me the keys with the word "Enjoy".

and me + I brought a mate with me.......and erm... ;) had some fun

Thats good then! Last time I had that was with a Lotus Elise I test drove, but every garage ive been to since wont let me out on my own. Even when I test drove the missus`s old shed. Maybe its my racing gloves and crash helmet which puts them off?!! :lol:

The whole octane thing is a problem for me because i live in the north west of N Ireland. No 98ron around apart from one place in the country that sells it for £1.60 p/l. No thanks! So i'm having to fill up on 95ron and buy and octane booster and from the research on the internet there are none that will add 3 octanes! So what do i do? Not take the car through the rev range? I'm just confident in the ability of the knock sensor being able to do it's job and not cause any det problems!