Back to the future

JetSet

My Dads old boss had one and took me for a drive. Cant remember a lot as I was so young, but I can remember the doors didnt open all the way as it was cold and the struts didnt have enough pressure :lol:

I could see it working quite well as a leccy car. It probably doesnt weigh much so think it would quite suit it.

Theres one in the Coventry transport museum. I did actually see one on the road drive by my house a few years back, but they are pretty rare cars now. There was also one in an episode of wheeler dealers not so long ago, which they shipped in from America if i remember rightly.

I remember talking to someone on another forum years ago about them as he had one, and he showed me a pic of an owners club meet at his house - literally there was about 20 deloreans all parked up on the pavements down this little cul-de-sac in the middle of nowhere. Imagine stumbling across that, you`d have to do a serious double take! :lol:

Saw one in Essen the other week, had a little look inside, wasn't a particularly fast car as such was it? Think the speedo went to 90mph or something. If it looks like that the only people I can see forking out nearly 60k will be die hard fans, it's ugly :p

It probably doesnt weigh much so think it would quite suit it.

They are HEAVY actually - the body is all thick gauge stainless steel. Thats why they aren't very fast.

Totally awesome though IMO.

"Whats with the life preserver?"

Saw one in Essen the other week, had a little look inside, wasn't a particularly fast car as such was it? Think the speedo went to 90mph or something. If it looks like that the only people I can see forking out nearly 60k will be die hard fans, it's ugly :p

It has terrible performance. The engine produced around 130hp after all the US emmission controls were put on it and 0-60 was tested at something like 10.5seconds which is really slow for a car which originally was supposed to be a super car. My old golf diesel was quicker than that!. Thats one reason why it didnt really take off as well as they hoped and sales suffered. Also the original cars had a chasis based upon a lotus esprit and apparently handled really well, but the actual release cars had the ride height messed with causing them to handle like a sack of potatoes. So, it ended up as a poor handling slow car, but with cool doors.

If it wasnt for back to the future the car wouldnt be as popular as it was and its now something of an 80`s icon.

Have you seen the "Wheeler Dealers" episode where they renovate one? Loads of other bits of odd history in that episode, as well as some interesting mechanicals.

Yep, that was the last series I think, where they shipped one over from america. Not a bad episode.