Advice on old GTI

Flex

Guys,

I've got a Almera GTI that I've owned for over 10 yrs and she's due to retire now unfortunately :(

Do you think the best option is scrap or put it on pistonheads as a 'possible' track car? Or is this totally unrealistic?

If scrap does anyone know the going rate?

I'm going to take off what I can and put on our standard Almera, seats being the first thing, anyone suggest anything else I can take off and swap fairly easily.

Any constructive advice welcome!

If it was me I would put it on Ebay with as much information as possible, loads of photos and a detailed honest description, warts and all. I would put on an attractive starting price to get bidding underway.

I never cease to be amazed by how much you can get if it is clear to buyers that there will be no hidden surprises (assuming you have got a good feedback score and it isn't photographed round the back of the council dump, etc, etc).

Good tips fellas!

Has a fair bit of rust on the drivers door and bubbling elsewhere but generally sound, it's in the free ads and had a couple of interested parties but no luck so far. Might try ebay next.

Is PH free to advertise?

Have you considered donating it to charity (if you can't find a buyer)?

www.giveacar.co.uk

They will come and collect your car, scrap it and give the proceeds (minus an admin fee) to the charity you choose on their website.

I was going to do this with my old Punto, but unbelievably, someone bought it about 20 mins after I'd filled in the giveacar form online.

Oh no, a massively under-rated car! Most magazines rated the handling as second only to the 306 GTI-6.

Out of the 2,400 sold, 800 are still on the road despite being 12-16 years old... Although 220 were scrapped 2010-2011.

My brother sold my old GTi on eBay very quickly. Went to someone on the Almera forum.

So quick update:

Had a PM from another member pointing me to another forum - PM'd thank you! :thumbs:

She's now on ebay - 9 watchers so far and £150 reserve met. Some dude texted me this morning and is interested but is going away for 2 weeks. He's a long distance lorry driver so wont be able to pay/collect until a week after auction has ended. Whilst he sounds genuine I think I've got to let it run its course now. He also asked if I had a buy it now figure in mind, what do ya's think?

Link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170806325243? ... 500wt_1287

I always let mine run to the end and politely decline offers received in the meantime. So far it has always paid off for me by quite a margin. Good luck :thumbs:

I think 1800 to 1 means they are probably fine!

If you get any time I think it would pay you to add some more detail to the advert - my questions would be to do with any maintenance or service history - maybe some more photos (inside etc) - plus are there any significant parts that might be better than people expect - eg tyre tread remaining, exhaust etc.

Also there is no "Yes" against V5 document which might imply you don't have a logbook which will worry some/many people. If you have got one I would definitely get the "Yes" in there.

Also its worth proposing a deposit to be paid in so many days and car to be collected and paid for within, say, seven days. This reduces the risk of you being messed about for very long.

I always let mine run to the end and politely decline offers received in the meantime. So far it has always paid off for me by quite a margin. Good luck :thumbs:

I think 1800 to 1 means they are probably fine!

If you get any time I think it would pay you to add some more detail to the advert - my questions would be to do with any maintenance or service history - maybe some more photos (inside etc) - plus are there any significant parts that might be better than people expect - eg tyre tread remaining, exhaust etc.

Also there is no "Yes" against V5 document which might imply you don't have a logbook which will worry some/many people. If you have got one I would definitely get the "Yes" in there.

Also its worth proposing a deposit to be paid in so many days and car to be collected and paid for within, say, seven days. This reduces the risk of you being messed about for very long.

All good advice!! :thumbs:

Now got 18 watchers, surely this will get to at least £300?

18 is a reasonable number and a good start but you just need to bear in mind that other Almera sellers might watch to see how yours goes .. plus you may have some forum members from here who are now watching it - like me - :) ... plus maybe some of your friends or relations who know about it?

If you get to mid to top 20s I think that will be encouraging and is likely to include some proper potential buyers.

My betting is (assuming you edit the V5 thing) that you will get a good price.

18 is a reasonable number and a good start but you just need to bear in mind that other Almera sellers might watch to see how yours goes .. plus you may have some forum members from here who are now watching it - like me - :) ... plus maybe some of your friends or relations who know about it?

If you get to mid to top 20s I think that will be encouraging and is likely to include some proper potential buyers.

Thanks again bud, I thought I'd updated the V5 tick box I'll double check.

Again this is where a forum like this really does pay off.

Thanks again bud, I thought I'd updated the V5 tick box I'll double check.

Again this is where a forum like this really does pay off.

Sorry - yes you have - I hadn't refreshed the screen :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Good luck with the sale. I think you have gone the best route. Its amazing what will sell on ebay. Ive actually sold smashed up written off old bangers on there for £150 in the past, rather than take them down the scrap yard, so someone will snap that up. If you think how much money all the bits are worth - the inteior, engine, wheels etc... it soon adds up.

My local breakers will pay £100 a car atm. A few years back they would only give you £30.

Good luck with the sale. I think you have gone the best route. Its amazing what will sell on ebay. Ive actually sold smashed up written off old bangers on there for £150 in the past, rather than take them down the scrap yard, so someone will snap that up. If you think how much money all the bits are worth - the inteior, engine, wheels etc... it soon adds up.

My local breakers will pay £100 a car atm. A few years back they would only give you £30.

I know I considered breaking it up myself but as the most I can do is change the oil and plugs so not a job for Mr Numpty. 21 watchers and counting!

Don't worry if you don't get many more bids now until the end. It's often the case that one or two people will bid around the start price just to "get their names on to the board" and on basis they might get lucky. You will probably find it all happens in the last minute to 30 seconds.

Am watching with interest.

I know I considered breaking it up myself but as the most I can do is change the oil and plugs so not a job for Mr Numpty. 21 watchers and counting!

Yep and you have to factor in the time and hassle breaking a car takes. Ive broken quite a few cars up in my time and sold the parts and you always find some bits sell straight away and other bits you have sitting around for years until they sell.

And Neil is right, you`ll normally get a bit of activity on the bidding first thing, then nothing much until near the end. Sometimes things will rocket within the last few minutes as people frantically try and slip a snipe bid in at the last second.

Upto 28 watchers! Sad day tomorrow to see her go, been a faithful car, done 120k of the miles on the clock. I hope she goes to someone wanting to track her so she can full fill her potential.