when to remap?

JoshThePonce

Right then guys,

So i've got the following peformance modifications:

Impul cat back exhaust system

Japspeed decat pipes

Greddy induction kit

i'm looking at getting a plenum spacer soon too.

Would i be ready for a remap with these modications or should i get anything else done that i haven't stated first?

cheers :thumbs:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm looking at getting the remap done at abbey, they seem to be the most highly regarded place here :)

getting the plenum fitted on the day sounds like a plan..

i'll have to give abbey a ring and see what can be done :)

thanks for your help guys! :thumbs:

They will fit it no bother, be aware it is not cheap though :surrender:

i'm looking at getting the remap done at abbey, they seem to be the most highly regarded place here :)

Hmm, well it's either that or i buy one and get my mate who owns a garage to fit it (mates rates ;) )

Been looking at the Motordyne one on tarmacs site, would you recommend?

I'd recommend you get it done sooner rather than later. Will all those breathing mods you could be running dangerously lean. Get anything more you want to add bought and then get it remapped ASAP in my view.

Hmm, well it's either that or i buy one and get my mate who owns a garage to fit it (mates rates ;) )

Been looking at the Motordyne one on tarmacs site, would you recommend?

I didn't mean Abbey are a rip off :lol: I just meant it is a good hours labour job that's all, if you have a competent mate then I would get one bought as cheap as you can and get him to fit it :thumbs: although you may be able to get a good deal from Abbey if you are buying the spacer from them, fitting it and getting an upRev all at the same time ;)

I'd recommend you get it done sooner rather than later. Will all those breathing mods you could be running dangerously lean. Get anything more you want to add bought and then get it remapped ASAP in my view.

Really?

I find it pretty amazing that for years we've all run plenty of mods with no remap & nobodys engine's ever blew up. Yet now its dangerous to do that? :wacko:

The rare occasions that a N/A VQ has blown in the UK have pretty much all been down to poor maintenance & running extensivley on 95 ron fuel.

Plenum spacer can be fit yourself... 2 - 3 hours at most.

2-3 hours!! :scare:

You're not supposed to tighten the bolts by hand :lol:

It's a 30-45 min job. The time consuming part is to torque the bolts in the required sequence. Actually fitting the spacer takes minutes. You don't need to detach the hoses, remove bolts and lift upper plenum, slide in, align and refit upper plenum with bolts.

It's a 30-45 min job. The time consuming part is to torque the bolts in the required sequence. Actually fitting the spacer takes minutes. You don't need to detach the hoses, remove bolts and lift upper plenum, slide in, align and refit upper plenum with bolts.

+1, it's the easiest job iv ever done on a car. If you have the sockets DIY, theres also a step by step on here if your having trouble, otherwise if you have money to throw away come round mine, have it done in no time :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30135&start

Dont rush it though, see above... :headhurt:

Really?.

Pretty sure Mark posted up a plot recently where he said it was running really lean. OK so maybe dangerous was an overstatement, but I've seen it mentioned a fair few times that if you have intake/plenum spacer/decats/y-pipe/exhaust all done then it should be remapped as it could be running lean. The problem is its all down to the actual mods in question, some cause more lean running than others.

It doesnt have to be running so lean the engine goes pop to be doing damage, some damage may not be spotted for a very long time ;)

Really?.

Pretty sure Mark posted up a plot recently where he said it was running really lean. OK so maybe dangerous was an overstatement, but I've seen it mentioned a fair few times that if you have intake/plenum spacer/decats/y-pipe/exhaust all done then it should be remapped as it could be running lean. The problem is its all down to the actual mods in question, some cause more lean running than others.

It doesnt have to be running so lean the engine goes pop to be doing damage, some damage may not be spotted for a very long time ;)

thought the uk ecu clears and adapts any breathing mods = shouldn't run lean?

Can only adapt so far. Remember when Nissan designed the engine, it wasnt designed to be modded, so they only have a certain window of correction. Take it too far and it cant add more fuel for the air you give it, then it runs lean.

The OP will likely be ok, I think its mainly when you add in headers to the above combo of beathing mods that it gets dangerously lean.

EDIT: It was Octets car that I remember the comment from:

Subject: Car booked for UpRev @ Abbey tomorrow morning

1st run I noticed the car was running lean and there was slight noticable detonation at hgh RPM due to the fitment of the Berks HFC's

So a few minutes building a base map and a couple of runs we was getting nearer to the require AFR's and the torque and BHP started to come back.

Can only adapt so far. Remember when Nissan designed the engine, it wasnt designed to be modded, so they only have a certain window of correction. Take it too far and it cant add more fuel for the air you give it, then it runs lean.

The OP will likely be ok, I think its mainly when you add in headers to the above combo of beathing mods that it gets dangerously lean.

EDIT: It was Octets car that I remember the comment from:

Subject: Car booked for UpRev @ Abbey tomorrow morning

1st run I noticed the car was running lean and there was slight noticable detonation at hgh RPM due to the fitment of the Berks HFC's

So a few minutes building a base map and a couple of runs we was getting nearer to the require AFR's and the torque and BHP started to come back.

I still think that although its worth getting done, its still not worth doing before you have completed all the mods you want to get.

My AFRs were pretty much as they should be even after headers were fitted :)

Totally agree Ian, should get all mods done and then get it mapped. All ASAP so you dont draw it out. I wouldnt imagine in the short term you'd do much damage, but over say 50k miles, you could well do.

I do think its only now we are seeing much longer milage cars we are seeing the relatively small damaged done by some mods coming to the fore for killing an engine. 95RON and oil starvation appear to be the 2 biggies now, but I guess even a small amount of det at higher revs will kill an engine eventually? (not sure on that though, maybe Mark could clarify)

My 350 is jdm, im guessing the ecu is different to the UK one as they're mapped for a higher fuel rating aren't they?

Will this be more of a problem with the breathing mods? :shrug:

they would be, why not remap it for 95 while you're at it? B)

The UK ecu does nothing different to the JDM or even US ECU;s.

They all run a closed loop AFR system so even if you fit and parts they tune back to the AFR in the AFR layout map.

The cars wont run dangerously lean after fitting de-cats or HFC's but they wont be running at the best AFR.

The main worry is that if the car has been Upreved and has been tuned the car without De-cats/HFC's then fit de-cats or HFC's then the car will run very lean.

I ask Will370 if I can post his dyno plots up of the AFR after fitting HFC's to a already tuned 350Z to show you what happens.