Bowel watering moment

The Seasider

Had a nasty moment this evening...

Had a nice top down drive into town to pick up my daughter but knowing she wouldn't want to have her long locks blown into a thousand tangles I put the hood up for the drive home.

On a high speed straight I heard this strangely ghostly whoosh - which fortunately startled me enough to stamp on the brake knocking off quite a few mph - just in time to catch the hood as it started to go into its drop cycle!

The hood and its mechanism seems to have survived its ordeal - although the same can't be said for my boxers! :lol:

Anybody else encountered this?

I would imagine that the latch just didn't engage properly - as that is a little bit more likely than poltergeist possession :lol: - but I had travelled about 3 miles before the incident which made it worthy of comment.

Obviously, I am going to be getting out of the car and checking all is well and correctly aligned for the next few weeks and enlisting the services of a good priest ;)

Boxers washed and on the clothes horse now - so all's well that ends well

what speed were you doing?

Apparently when you break 147.3 mph, the convertible roof goes down before a metal one replaces it and wings appear out of the side skirts for take off.

:lol:

Sounds very strange to me, as on mine you have to have your foot on the brake and press the open/close button before the roof does anything. You can stop it at any point you wish, but it wont continue until you put foot on brake and press that button. Most strange. Id definately be looking into it a bit more!!!

what speed were you doing?

Apparently when you break 147.3 mph, the convertible roof goes down before a metal one replaces it and wings appear out of the side skirts for take off.

and you have to start singing chitty chitty bang bang......... :lol:

Sounds very strange to me, as on mine you have to have your foot on the brake and press the open/close button before the roof does anything. You can stop it at any point you wish, but it wont continue until you put foot on brake and press that button. Most strange. Id definately be looking into it a bit more!!!

Yes, I remember when we got Caroline's roadster, not a single member of the vast sales team at Nissan Chester knew how to get the roof down, the only person who knew turned out to be the guy who valeted it :lol: . Anyway, I always watch for the roof warning light on the dash to go off before I move the car.

Pete

Problem solved - the flux capacitor had been activated! Can't think why I didn't spot it earlier :blush:

For the record, I had already gone a couple of miles without a problem and I guess I was doing about 55-60mph when it disengaged.

Looking at some of the replies - I maybe didn't make myself clear initially, the roof didn't start electrically its 'roof down' procedure - it just appears to have come unlatched, so I don't think poltergeists were to blame.

I reckon I would be a bit more imaginative if I was in possession of poltergeist powers than unlatching roadster roofs - I'd be moving chairs as people were about to sit down and juvenile things like that.

It happened to me once before with another Japanese Roadster that I owned - that came unlatched at speed and the roof disappeared over my head and on to the rear deck rather sharpish! That ruined another fine pair of boxers.

All this has was reminded of yet another incident when I was driving a a roadster with my younger brother riding shotgun. We were edging along in traffic and it started to rain so, tongue in cheek, i told him to put the roof up, he turned around and to his considerable credit (and despite my barracking) he managed to get it almost up at which point my speed increased and his arm was just about ripped out of its socket as the hood rapidly returned to the down position at a rate of knots :p

I know they shouldn't let me have roadsters, should they? I am going to hurt myself...or others :lol: