Traction Control

Dicky

What difference would you notice if you turn off the traction control (apart from the car wanting to climb trees on wet days of course :drive1 ).

Are you introduced to a little more power, is the accelerator more responsive or is there nothing more than keeping you on the road (which is a good thing by the way ;) ).

I’ve tried it but cant really notice any difference.

What difference would you notice if you turn off the traction control (apart from the car wanting to climb trees on wet days of course :drive1 ).

Are you introduced to a little more power,

No

is the accelerator more responsive

No

or is there nothing more than keeping you on the road (which is a good thing by the way ;) ).

No

I’ve tried it but cant really notice any difference.

and er ............... you won't

If you can't tell any difference then you're driving very smoothly, as it doesn't kick in unless you're being incredibly ham-fisted with the controls :thumbs:

In normal driving, it doesn't really matter if it's on or off. It can save your bacon if you're being a bit of a tit, but otherwise it doesn't do anything special to the car.

Only asking cos I seem to remember watching a video clip (You Tube I think) that showed a 350z racing from a standing start against an Impreza first with it on then again with it off.

The video, and if not mistaken the commentary, implied that the Z beat the Impreza more convincingly with it turned off.

Just found the clip, hope the short cut works

350Z VS Impreza WRX

Makes no difference in a straight line, but with it turned on when on very twisty roads it can kill the traction out of corners and thus the speed as it cuts the power to the inside spinning wheel - can can feel like the car is is almost stalling. Turned off, its down to you in terms of the power you feed in to get the balance right with traction - too much and you are looking at where you just came from........ or worse.

In which case, find an authorised venue to practice with lots of run-off space, to find both the car and your limits.

We do not condone the antics you have shown us in that vid that appears to be on the public highway :thumbdown:

I personally found that the car does drive a little more smoothly with it off. Its like its not having to go through the TC. I know it probably doesnt but it feels more responsive. It could just be a placebo.

Doesnt VDC stay on all the time though? My car doesnt have it but im sure UK ones do?

a well driven car would be faster off the line without tcs - you need a degree of slip for an optimal start, but if the tcs is on it will cut power when it detects slip.

on the other hand, if you're a bad driver, then tcs will stop you lighting up the wheels and going nowhere, or spearing off sideways into a tree. :bangin:

We do not condone the antics you have shown us in that vid that appears to be on the public highway :thumbdown:

+1 just interested :blush:

I have found that the traction control will kick in between gear shifts 1st to 2nd when giving it some beans really killing the pick up. It makes no did fence to engine power but does mean that you get all the power all the time.

Throttle response etc. are exactly the same but you should be able to drive quicker, similar principle as you can stop quicker without ABS but to a greater extent. :)

I personally find VDC gets in the way of very spirited driving, I wouldnt advise turning it off unless you are comfortable with the car though :)

I have found that the traction control will kick in between gear shifts 1st to 2nd when giving it some beans really killing the pick up. It makes no did fence to engine power but does mean that you get all the power all the time.

Yep, mine seems to always cut in if i accelerate too hard in 2nd and on the shift between 2nd & 3rd if the tyres are cold. Its strange as you cant feel the tyres loosing grip, but i guess they must be if its cutting in. Once the tyres are warmed it seldom kicks in.

Yep, mine seems to always cut in if i accelerate too hard in 2nd and on the shift between 2nd & 3rd if the tyres are cold. Its strange as you cant feel the tyres loosing grip, but i guess they must be if its cutting in. Once the tyres are warmed it seldom kicks in.

Yes, if the tyres are not warmed up they will more easily break traction but if the traction has felt the need to kick in or with it off in straight line burst the wheels spin on the changes that will mean forward momentum is compromised. But hey, the reason why the majority of us enjoy RWD with some decent grunt and handling is to explore the limits when circumstances permit that safely :D

So it’s SWITCH OFF for me :teeth: .

By the way if I’m found half way up a tree one day chewing on bark and crows pecking at my arse, then I’ll be telling the wife it was YOU who told me to do it :yahoo: