Noob Question on fitments/offset

agentsmith350

No it's not.

Depending on the width of the wheels you're looking at, a +30 offset will mean the wheels wont stick out enough, and you could do with 15mm spacers on them.

I think my wheels are +18 and +22 offset (could be wrong, cant remember). You want to be looking for something around this for them to look good.

EDIT: Just re-read your post... i see what you mean now. You're half right! The offset is what would be affected by adding spacers, yes. But adding 30mm spacers will not result in a +30 offset.

Offsets on the 18" Rays are +30 front and +33 rear. so adding a 20 ml spacer to the front will take it to +10 and a 25 to +8 on the rear. Some people have gone further than this, some less but the general opinion here seems to be that 20 ml spacer front and 25ml spacer rear gives the best stance.

Pete

The lower the offset, the further OUT they sit. The higher the offset the further IN they sit.

An ET40 is higher than stock, so therefore will sit further IN than the stock wheels.

The ideal offset for a Z is between ET15 & ET 25

im thinking 35mm on the et40 wheel to get it about 30mm more than the rays sit as standard ?

You have to be careful that you don't go too far. The fronts are prone to rubbing the wheel arches once you get down to around an ET of +8...rears will take +8 (just) as long as you don't lower it ;) .

To further complicate things, from memory, I think that you have to recalculate quoted ET's on bigger wheels. I'll check that in the morning.

Couldn't sleep so checked it out :lol: Here's the calculator

http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

If you go for for wider wheels then you need to recalculate the ET...that's the way I read it anyway. :shrug:

Pete

The ET figure is irrelevant without the width of the wheel. To give you an idea in pictures, this is my car running a 10 inch wheel with a +15 offset on the rear:

P1060744.jpg

Same car, same width of wheel (10J) but now with an effective offset of -43 (original wheel offset -18, 25mm spacer):

IMG_0238.jpg

Youll notice the stupid increase in wheelarch to accommodate the wheel, this is because the outer edge is 58mm further out than with the earlier wheel, despite the widths being the same. This is because the offset figure has gone from +15 to -43, a difference of 58 :thumbs:

Ok , so im even more lost now :lol:

Basically there are a couple different sets of SSR wheels im looking at , theres a pair ( 2 ) that are listed as :

"18x10 et40ish 225/40/18 tyres"

Then there are a full set that are listed as :

18x8.5 +30 offset 235/40/18 Tyres

18x9.5 +43 offset 265/35/18 Tyres

And lastly there are some Rota Rip offs listed as :

"18 x 8 ET 48"

So firstly would they even fit and what spacers do we think id need to get them to sit like Rays would with 25 front and 30 rear spacers on , Also i wanted some with a fair whack of dish on them so would i be right in thinking 18X8 is nothing , were as the 18X10 is quite a lot ?

Thanks for the help so far guys id be even more lost without the help :lol:

Its really not difficult to grasp.

The higher the offset the further in the wheel will sit

The lower the offset the further out it will sit.

The RAYS are ET30/33 & with a 20/25 combo become 10 & 8. So therefore ET30 will require 20mm spacers & ET43 will require 35mm spacers.

A spacer reduces your ET by whatever size the spacer is.

Personally, I'd just buy some wheels that fit. Those wheels were not designed to go on a Z so get something that was

Its really not difficult to grasp.

The higher the offset the further in the wheel will sit

The lower the offset the further out it will sit.

The RAYS are ET30/33 & with a 20/25 combo become 10 & 8. So therefore ET30 will require 20mm spacers & ET43 will require 35mm spacers.

A spacer reduces your ET by whatever size the spacer is.

Personally, I'd just buy some wheels that fit. Those wheels were not designed to go on a Z so get something that was

Would if I could but it's just whatever I can find second hand

How do you know how much dish a wheel has ? is that the X9.5 part ?

You know how much dish there is by measuring it.... If it's a dished rim!

The width will dictate it however there is no formula that I know of!

This is quickly becoming an epic thread. :surrender:

Give yourself a 5 min search of google regarding offsets. Lots of diagrams which expain it well.

It has been covered in a number of threads in the past here, and on a thread only 2 days ago that I gave the poster a few links to sites with nice pretty pictures that explain it all.

In answer to your last question - the dish doesnt have a measurement since it doesn't effect if it fits or not! (well, I suppose it effects the offset if its a massively deep dish, but if the offset fits then it doesnt matter about the dish size)

In answer to your last question - the dish doesnt have a measurement since it doesn't effect if it fits or not! (well, I suppose it effects the offset if its a massively deep dish, but if the offset fits then it doesnt matter about the dish size)

It kinda does though, when you buy new wheels you will generally be asked what "disk" you want, options range from deep to shallow and are for brake fitment. See here, SSR MS01 options:

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=13774

This means you can calculate the dish/lip without knowing the disk and the wheel type. :thumbs:

Ok , now looking at the tyres and peiceing together bits of info online im not 100 % and dont want to start looking at buying these wheels if there not going to fit , Can anyone tell me if/how these would fit with standard suspension , as far as i can tell i would need 35mm spacers , any info i should know about the wheels or tyres , sorry i know these type of threads are hated but really would help me out as these are the exact style of wheels iv been after -

225/40/18 Primewell tyres - Work Miesters X 2 18x10 et40- £650

image_2.jpg

Why not buy something that doesnt need the spacers in the first place? 18x10 ET10 for instance? 225 tyre on a 10j is a stretch too, not really worthwhile unless you need it for fitment purposes.

If you like Work Meisters, SSR Professors and Rays Gram light 57 are very similar BTW, youll have to budget £1100+ for set, possibly without tyres though. :)

Why not buy something that doesnt need the spacers in the first place? 18x10 ET10 for instance? 225 tyre on a 10j is a stretch too, not really worthwhile unless you need it for fitment purposes.

If you like Work Meisters, SSR Professors and Rays Gram light 57 are very similar BTW, youll have to budget £1100+ for set, possibly without tyres though. :)

:thumbs: Thats about my budget , only thing was that the SSR Pro's were coming in at around 3K without tyres , Couldnt find any Miesters and found these 2 for that price so if it needs a little fiddling to get them on thats ok with me , just dont want to start talking to the guy about buying them if there is no chance they would go on. Hope that makes sense :lol: , il check out the Rays Gram light 57 now

Brand new you will be looking at big money, Id still advise a bit of patience until you find something thats going to fit pretty well without spacing, certainly for the front. :thumbsup:

The other problem with buying a paid of Meisters is that you need another pair from somewhere, they dont come up that often though. If you can stretch to £2K a mate of mine has some truly epic ones for sale, with about £1000 of tyres on them too ........

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php? ... highlight=

This would make all the girls love you and chase you immediately.*

*may not actually be true ;)

Brand new you will be looking at big money, Id still advise a bit of patience until you find something thats going to fit pretty well without spacing, certainly for the front. :thumbsup:

The other problem with buying a paid of Meisters is that you need another pair from somewhere, they dont come up that often though. If you can stretch to £2K a mate of mine has some truly epic ones for sale, with about £1000 of tyres on them too ........

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php? ... highlight=

This would make all the girls love you and chase you immediately.*

*may not actually be true ;)

:scare: Tell you what , If those would fit on a Z without arch rolling id put an offer in , although the stretch on those tyres looks mental/dangerous and dosnt seem to be much tread on them.

Oh and the Girls already chase me B):lol:

They arent stretched mate, thats a 315 on a 12J. Stretched is 225 on a 10J, comme ca:

10.jpg

Will they go on without arch rolling? I dont think so if Im honest, it would be very close though and the car would look amazing after :D

Bear in mind though, that these "very close to fitting perfectly" wheels will stick 30mm further out on the front and 60mm at the back, thats how much the other Meisters dont actually fit :boxing::p