Excessive Tramlining?

Paddy78

So I've been driving my Zed for less than a week and still getting to know the car.

I have noticed that the car pulls (Right and left) when driving at pretty much any speed. I had read about tramlining before I bought and expected a little. Althought I have no personal experience previously, the amount I am experiencing just doesn't seem right?

I figure it's nothing too drastic, no noise from the suspension, all 4 tyres are in good condition with hardly any wear etc, but could one or all of the following possibly be aggrivating "normal" tramlining?

1 - Vreds on the Front, Bridgestone on the Rear (Not ideal I know, but I've just bought the car and don't want to fork out for some new Fronts).

2 - Tyre Pressures?

3 - The appauling state of the roads in Leeds?

4 - Tracking / Allignment? (Although I haven't noticed any uneven wear).

5 - Anything else?

Your thoughts / advice please? Loving the Zed though overall! :thumbs:

tyre pressures should be 35psi all round

also worth getting a laser alignment done

some members have tried dropping the front tyres a couple of psi to see if it improves things. Not had a response on that toi see if it does

Mine tramlined worse than any car I've owned, even big American 4x4s, new tyres made it better but still felt I was 'steering' it all the time. Then I put wheel spacers on, loved the look but made the tram lining WAY worse. Abbey did a laser align job for me which helped but I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the looks and junk the wheel spacers.

It really does seem to be in the nature of these cars (and many wide wheeled cars) to act like this.

A lot of 350z are getting to the age where they'll need bushes replacing now. If the handling is also a bit vague then that could well be it. I didnt realise my old 350z needed them doing until I got the 370z and realised how much tighter the handling felt.

So, first check this morning, tyre pressure.

It's funny you should mention Z4's as I was very keen on a Coupe. I'd heard that the run flats were pretty bad, sadly it was the extra £1000's and not the ride that turned me to the Zed.

I had some handling issues, Zed hasn't had the realignment done under my watch so thought this morning as good a time as ever. It was pulling to the left and I was having to wrestle it to the right. Checked the pressures and fronts were down to 29 and rears at 32. Set them to 35 all round and then headed over to Maidenhead Tyres and Exhausts. Would have normally gone to Abbey or the like, but with Becks now 4 days overdue I cant risk being too far away, this place was like ten minutes drive. Anyways, the tyre inflations made a positive difference, took it into the guys at Maidenhead, they did the laser alignment, fronts were out rear ever so slightly out, they adjusted front and back and only charged for the front :thumbs: £35 for a 4 wheel laser alignment - Brian who did it really nice bloke, talked me through how the misalignment affected the control of the car, spot on about it pulling to the left. Car felt miles better on the way home :#1:

Checked the pressures and the fronts were down to late 20's. Rears were in the early 30's, so all now at 35.

I did notice that the Rears, although fairly new, are the wrong size... 225 instead of 245! :doh: And there I was thinking my head had made the purchase. Clearly all I noticed was "blue shiny".

Will the smaller tyre size cause major issues? I'd like to at least run the car for a few months before shelling out ~£600!

Checked the pressures and the fronts were down to late 20's. Rears were in the early 30's, so all now at 35.

I did notice that the Rears, although fairly new, are the wrong size... 225 instead of 245! :doh: And there I was thinking my head had made the purchase. Clearly all I noticed was "blue shiny".

Will the smaller tyre size cause major issues? I'd like to at least run the car for a few months before shelling out ~£600!

225 Tyres on the rear will throw the rolling radius out by 2.7%. Although I wouldn't be happy with anything over 1.0%, I think the limit is in the region of 5.0%. If it was me I'd get some new tyres ASAP and put the 225's on the front when your others wear out.

Pete