370Z Roadster Torn/Worn Hood

rogerxp

I've noticed that my passenger door window catches the hood as the door is opened. The window does drop like it should but still catches. This has now worn a hole in the edge of the hood and is coming away. It's gone right through the fabric so you can see the black plastic/rubber frame underneath.

Whilst this is only small (you'll see from the pictures) it's only going to get worst so needs sorting asap.

My car is booked into WestWay Stockport on Thursday next week for them to take a look.

Give the position of the hole I'm really not comfortable with a 'fix' as surely that would just wear overtime (bear in mind my passenger door is hardly ever used and the car is a 60 plate with 6k on the clock so it's obviously a week spot). Something must be aligned wrong too. I appreciate a whole new hood is going to cost a pretty penny (through warranty) but just wondered if any other Roadster owners had suffered the same issue and what was their outcome...

This seems to be a common thread on the US forums.... have a search on them. IIRC some people had new roof's fitted and some were not so lucky. It may give you some ammunition to use if the garage are being awkward :thumbs:

I hope you get it sorted quickly and hassle free :thumbs:

This seems to be a common thread on the US forums.... have a search on them. IIRC some people had new roof's fitted and some were not so lucky. It may give you some ammunition to use if the garage are being awkward :thumbs:

Comforting to know. I've just done a v.quick search but could only find alignment problems, I'll spend more time searching if I'm forced to, lets just see what the dealers says first.

Dont see how that can be anything other than a new roof FoC tbh. Nothing you can do could have lead to it, you just open and close the door!

I would want some kind of explaination as to how it wont happen again though :surrender:

That's my opinion too, new hood please, but that makes me a little nervous too - how difficult a job would it be, the local mechanics will hardly be 'experienced' in replacing a Zed's hood, surely, just hope they do it correctly.

Here are two after a quick search.....

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-roadster-convertible/45009-another-worn-torn-roof.html

http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-roadster-convertible/20621-top-tearing-issue.html

I am sure there are more on MY350 as well :thumbs: The first link looks like it is in exactly the same place as yours.

Our car...you can feel the glass rub on the hood when you open the door.

It seems to me the design is wrong.

When you go to open the door the window drops when you pull the handle but there is a slight delay and the "drop" actually happens AFTER the door has opened past the hood and rubbed on it.

Closing the door is fine because the window is already dropped.

If the window was to drop when you pressed the remote to unlock,or you could make it drop when by pressing the door button before you went to pull open the door this might solve the issue.

Thanks everyone for your comments (except Stew for panicking me ;) ).

The window dropping suggestion might well have worked however doesn't explain why the drivers side is absolutely fine. It's as though the roof isn't quite sitting right, and jutting out slightly into the line of the windows swing, or the window isn't dropping enough. Obviously something that needs investigating so it doesn't happen again.

I'm definately keen to get a whole new roof, which may seem extreme for such a small tear, but it's positioning tells me it'll only get worse over time. At least I can't be blamed at this stage for wear & tear (though they'd be grasping at straws) give its young age and low mileage. I could imagine more wiggling/squirming if it was raised a week before the 3 year warranty was to expire.

This is one of the clearest warranty issues I've seen for a long time. New roof, nothing else will do.

Toyota once changed my roof on my MR2 three times, in the end they sent it to Aston Martin to put the bloody thing on for them! :lol:

This is one of the clearest warranty issues I've seen for a long time. New roof, nothing else will do.

+1. Personally I couldnt give a @*!# if the roof replacement cost was into the thousands. Why should you accept anything other than a perfect roof for what is essentially a brand new car? Do not let them try and fob you off. Its clearly not fit for purpose so needs replacing. You might have a fight on your hands but dont back down. No way in hell I would let them near a roof like that of mine and glue it thats for sure.

+1. Personally I couldnt give a @*!# if the roof replacement cost was into the thousands. Why should you accept anything other than a perfect roof for what is essentially a brand new car? Do not let them try and fob you off. Its clearly not fit for purpose so needs replacing. You might have a fight on your hands but dont back down. No way in hell I would let them near a roof like that of mine and glue it thats for sure.

Too right! Ask nicely and if that doesn't work harrass, badger and demand a new roof til you get one :boxing:

Interestingly enough i spoke to a nissan dealer about this today.

I asked for explicit confirmation if issues with the hood would be covered by the warranty. Initially he said he wasnt sure. I asked him to confirm. He checked and made reference to the canadian nissan website ???? Which clearly stated that the warranty covered the complete car. Based on that he confirmed that issues with the hood would therefore be covered by the warranty and he would support that.

Well, my Zed has gone in to be looked at, and replaced by a lovely red Note with pricing scrawled all over it (at least no-one will think it's mine :lol: ).

I had a good chat with the Service Manager, and looked over the car together, and not too sure what the outcome will be just yet but I did get a feeling that it will be sorted one way or another. He said they'd obviously need to investigate two things 1) what caused the issue in the first place and sort it to stop a repeat and 2) how to fix the tear.

Part of me is screaming 'new hood please' but another part of me is nervous about a new 'non-factory-fitted' hood being more loose/rattley/squeeking and just creating other long-term issues. To be fair, even though they have never fitted a new hood to a 370, they have done a few Micra CC's, and the basic principal is the same (just a different material), so he wasn't concerned that they wouldn't be able to do it properly - he did reassure me to some degree here.

I'm all ears about a possible fix though, although they've got their work cut-out to convince me it wouldn't reoccur (I'd need certain agreements in writing to provide me with back-up/peace of mind).

Possible causes being, and this is obvious, it's the window catching the material when the door is opened (unless it's opened really slowly). Maybe the window itself just need re-aligning so the angle is altered ever-so-slightly. He didn't see how the roof could be out of line, the bolts holding it in place are part of the main structure of the car/chassis, so will focus their attention on the window first.

He did assure me that it'll be sorted out to a satisfactory level, whether it be a fix or new roof, and wasn't showing any signs of nervousness speaking to Nissan GB. He said, if the only guaranteed solution is a new roof, then Nissan would sort it but I suppose they need to investigate all areas first.

So, I'm pretty happy my Zed is in good hands, and await their report back to see what they suggest.

Sounds like you have a good dealer on your hands which is the biggest part of the fight IMO. They will need to push NMGB for a replacement, but should have no problems if they take good photos and have a good business case.

If NMGB do kick up a fuss, then mention you are a member here and its all public as they know the forum and know that it wont be good publicity if they mess you around at all.

Sounds like you have a good dealer on your hands which is the biggest part of the fight IMO. They will need to push NMGB for a replacement, but should have no problems if they take good photos and have a good business case.

If NMGB do kick up a fuss, then mention you are a member here and its all public as they know the forum and know that it wont be good publicity if they mess you around at all.

Yes good call :thumbs:

Well, my Zed has gone in to be looked at, and replaced by a lovely red Note with pricing scrawled all over it (at least no-one will think it's mine :lol: ).

Sounds like you got a raw deal there. When my 350z roadster went back to Nissan for them to check the hood out last year they took a brand new fully loaded 370z off the forecourt - took the £34k (from memory) for sale sign out of the window and let me use that for a few days until they were finished looking at my car.

Does sound like they are a decent dealership though with the service manager being on your side. That said, the service manager has to get approval from the guy in charge of the dealership (for any repairs not paid for my nissan), or Nissan themselves for any work under warranty. Fingers crossed!!!

Sounds like you got a raw deal there. When my 350z roadster went back to Nissan for them to check the hood out last year they took a brand new fully loaded 370z off the forecourt - took the £34k (from memory) for sale sign out of the window and let me use that for a few days until they were finished looking at my car.

That was probably a sales ploy. Let's stick the guy with the 350 into a 370 for a couple of days and get it sold (backfired somewhat with you though given your comments on another thread ;) ). Unfortunately the Note was all that they had. Apparently with March round the corner they've sold all the demo cars to clear the place which just left the shite behind - there was a truck of some description but had already been allocated to something. to be fair, the Note is kind of fun to tootle around in (luckily just for the day!!!).

That was probably a sales ploy. Let's stick the guy with the 350 into a 370 for a couple of days and get it sold (backfired somewhat with you though given your comments on another thread ;) ).

Yep, think your right there!

Be interesting to see the outcome of the hood problem though, make sure you keep us all updated! :thumbs:

When I left my 370z with WLMG in Slough they offered me a GTR for the day. Just had to leave a £3k deposit incase I didnt come back :scare::lol:

GTR?!! :scare: Id have snatched their hand off I think!

Not worth it for the 0.5mile drive back to the office from their garage. Slough roads are @*!# for driving too, wouldnt have gotten out of 1st gear! Pile of paperwork to have it also looked rather large :lol: Ended up being chauffeur driven back in a Juke instead.