RearSpoilers - just for the pretty girls and boys?

planetsurfer2

A well-designed spoiler will make quite a bit of difference to handling at speed. I've got a floor spoiler as part of my bumper and I was very surprised by how different the car feels at speed in terms of handling and the amount the rear gets pressed down.

Having said that, the majority of spoilers have no aerodynamic benefits whatsoever and are only made to look good and in all likelihood will worsen the car's characteristics.

Zmanalex has one on his car - veilside i think.... and i get the feeling it isnt for show! ;)

Unless I am mistaken though if it is straight line speed you are after a spoiler will not be of much help. Spoilers create downforce but some drag also. The downforce will be useful in cornering to provide grip but in a straightline (such as autobahn) im not sure how much help extra downforce will be.

Look at F1 they Dip the rear wing down the straights - reducing drag and improving acceleration.

Looking at the cross section of my N1 its like an inverted down plane wing with a bit of a kicker so if the air is traveling across it it will create downforce. But I doubt it makes a huge difference tbh!

But downforce on the back means less wheel spin = better traction = better launch speed = better 0-100 times etc.

Only if you balance it out with a lip spoiler though......otherwise it can make the nose lift and lose traction on the rubber at the front. ;)

Spoilers look pretty. Wings change the air movement across the car.

I wouldn't put a wing on my car unless I was very confident of what difference it would make to the aero, but I'd happily put a spoiler on to make it look a bit nicer.

But downforce on the back means less wheel spin = better traction = better launch speed = better 0-100 times etc.

Only if you balance it out with a lip spoiler though......otherwise it can make the nose lift and lose traction on the rubber at the front. ;)

Whats the problem with that? You can then do some Dom Torreto/Fast and Furious impressions with the car :lol:

An Ideal spoiler would be just below the roof line of the car and have a very little gradient in the middle to reduce the drag coming from the turbulent air passing over the roof. It will add weight and downforce but considering your adding weight over the front in the form of the supercharger its a good way to keep it balanced. :thumbs:gt1_vette2.jpg

A spoiler 'spoils' the smooth flow of air moving over the car, which can reduce lift at high speed, making a car more stable.

A wing actively generates downforce pushing the car into the road, giving the tyres more grip.

For top speed you want to reduce lift for stability, but also decrease drag, hence why Le Mans cars run long tails to be as slippery as possible and have the wing set at a shallower angle of attack.

For corners its all about downforce for extra grip, but this is at the expense of top speed as the drag increases.

A rear wing makes a huge difference but only when your doing speeds of 100+ so forget it for the drag strip or road. Also if you are looking for something that creates downforce then you may well need to get the area it's attached to plated. I've had cars in the past with gt wings that bent the boot lid even with 3mm steel plate under it!

I must be a pretty boy then :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Not been called that since I went into the "Blue Oyster" bar by mistake :blush:

My Spoiler adds downforce it must do the thing is so heavy the standard boot openers won't hold it!

Dunno if it the drag is more than any advantage it gives, but I've got an SC and the NOS should overcome the drag :lol:;):thumbs:

We need are poll for how many sexy people have spoilers and how many sexy people don't.

How many ugly buggers have them, how many don't.

Photo evidence required for sexiness if you are female - naked gets bonus points! :lol:

Do you like naked middle aged women :p

We need are poll for how many sexy people have spoilers and how many sexy people don't.

How many ugly buggers have them, how many don't.

Photo evidence required for sexiness if you are female - naked gets bonus points! :lol:

Do you like naked middle aged women :p

Ooooohhhhhhh - the sparkles are out for you now!

One of my friends over here, about 4-5 years ago when he purchased his import 350 it didn't have a rear spoiler or wing. This is a TT'd, caged race car which flies like the wind. After a few chats, he ended up putting on quite a big wing, his Z is definitely more grounded than it was before.

Can't be bothered trawling through photobucket right now, but will find a pic if you really want one.