Best clay bar

ashyk36

I couldn't take to the Meguiars claybar, found it failed to perform as well as the Autoglym clay.

Regarding process after claybar, you can leave the car for waxing as you've used a detailing lubrication. Although I have on the odd occasion given it a once over with the snowfoam before waxing. As long as you've cleared the bodywork of all lubrication residue you'll be fine.

Regarding process after claybar, you can leave the car for waxing as you've used a detailing lubrication. Although I have on the odd occasion given it a once over with the snowfoam before waxing. As long as you've cleared the bodywork of all lubrication residue you'll be fine.

Thanks Wasso! :)

Meguiars clay kit is pretty good, I've used it on previous cars with good results, it's expensive though for the amount of clay you get. Bilt hamber clay is also highly rated on detailing world, comes in medium and soft and is much better value - I've just bought myself some soft as apparently it's easier to mould in colder weather. Also, you can use water with the Bilt Hamber, whereas you need to use lube/detailing spray with the Megs :thumbs:

Personally the only clay bar products i've ever used is turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar and Bilt Hamber Auto Clay.

The reason is, i used to do a lot of detailing by hand and to clay, polish and wax a car would take all day.

Leaving the car wet saves so much time, so i wash, clay, then wax (all when the car is wet). Personally, i've found no benefit to polishing before waxing, unless you're using compound with a machine to remove scratches.

Since its cold out, i use the Bilt Hamber Soft Auto clay. The Auto Clay is designed to work with only water as a lubricant. It works brilliantly and costs about £12. :)

I use megs clay bar and my detailing obsessed brother does the same.

Certainly need a thorough wash before and I usually then dry, apply auto glym tar remover to worst affected areas (near wheel arches etc) which takes a lot of the tar spots off easily and cheaply. Then sponge/ rinse these areas and re dry.

Clay the whole car one panel at a time with the spray they privide, although I find it runs out easily and any 'quick detailer' spray will do the job with the clay fine- it just needs to wet the surface. After claying the paint surface is essentially 'naked' with all dirt/ residue/ previous wax etc removed so I move straight onto waxing- often giving two coats as you're coming up from this 'bare' state.

Two thumbs up for Mer's HYBRID wax after the claybar (which I do every few months). It's only about £20 a bottle and is the best wax i've used so far. It claims to last for six months although any longer than a month in winter is appreciated! This winter, despite all that the paint gets thrown at it, after a basic wash it's gone back to a gleaming shine every time :D

I use Megs blue bar, which you won't find in Halfrauds et al, I get it online. It's possibly no better than others out there (for the most part a clay is a clay is a clay IMHO, assuming we're comparing a fine clay with a fine one and a heavier one with a heavier one), but the small plastic tub you get to keep it in is worth the slight premium and you do get a substantial size bar to use.

In theory you should wash, dry, clay, wash, dry, prep/repair, wax. If I'm honest though I rarely wash again after the clay as you should be using a hell of a lot of detailer when claying anyway, and having been to one of the Megs days that Tim organises I now know that you really have to use a lot of detailer!

If you're going to go to the effort of claying a car, and you really should, then you may as well run something like DJ Lime Prime or a polish of your choice before putting a coat or two of your favourite wax on, as the final finish is noticeably better. I had a free sample of the Mer Hybrid wax so popped it on the truck to see how well it would hold up, and tbh I didn't find it particularly great in terms of lasting. Okay, so it was on a works vehicle that does take some abuse, but I would've expected a bit more from it. It was certainly no better than any of the coloured waxes from DJ that I normally use on my other vehicles (previous Zed included), and I'd still stick with a good harder wax than a liquid one. All IMHO, YMMV etc. :)

Mer :thumbdown: never liked the stuff.

Agreed with the hard wax, find it lasts way longer than liquid and provides a far better deeper gloss shine, especially the Dodo Supernatural, love the stuff. I've had my tub nearly 2 years now and only half way through it, and that includes using it on customer cars as well. Very good value for money.

Never tried the Supernatural as I jumped from the DJ ship to the Swissvax one for waxes, but given how impressive the DJ coloured waxes are I suspect the Supernatural stuff is very good indeed. If I can ever get hold of a sample pot from somewhere I'd love to give it a try, all places seem to be sold out sadly.

^Not checked with me then Dan? :blush: I know I have 2 sample pots!

You'll love it Dan - best wax by far - until something else I try which betters it's performance, application and overall presentation.

(Smells nice too :lol: )

:lol: I knew that would happen! :lol: Must admit I haven't checked any sites since before Xmas, but I'll pop over to your website now Tim and grab one, thanks for the heads up. :)

:lol: I knew that would happen! :lol: Must admit I haven't checked any sites since before Xmas, but I'll pop over to your website now Tim and grab one, thanks for the heads up. :)

+1 on Tims sample pots - it last for ages :teeth: