MOT Failure :(

cerealuk

Took the Zed in for its MOT today and it failed on a few small bits.. only major item was the exhaust is blowing. Apparently I need a new silencer/back box

Being that I am totally ignorant.. what are my options ? :headhurt:

Should I look at a 2nd hand OEM one or can I go for an aftermarket and if I do, do I need to replace the whole exhaust ?

The best value after market option is a Scorpion y-pipe back system. http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php ... s_id=25420

Or get a decent used OEM rear section, although its a very common failure point so it'd probably just happen again. Welding it up might fix it in the short term but often the surrounding pipe work is so rusty it's not worth the hassle.

The best value after market option is a Scorpion y-pipe back system. http://www.h-dev.co.uk/product_info.php ... s_id=25420

Or get a decent used OEM rear section, although its a very common failure point so it'd probably just happen again. Welding it up might fix it in the short term but often the surrounding pipe work is so rusty it's not worth the hassle.

So would I only need the £369.98 kit ?

I dont mind spending more if there is a better option worth spending the extra on :thumbs:

Must be covered in here somewhere

;););)

Definitely go aftermarket unless insurance is a no-go.

cheeky git :lol::lol::lol:

I know its down to personal preference but it was more that I wasnt sure if I could use an aftermarket backbox with the rest being OEM :p

quick answer ....yes

3 options eally

1.weld and just get through m.o.t

2.get aftermarket now and not worry about it for next few m.o.t's

3.get oem back box with likely hood of it failing at a random time but could go for a while

Then theres your answer - Scorpion with lifetime guarantee!

Definitely - you really can't beat it for fitment, sound, quality, price, looks (if you like it - I personally am not too keen but the other bits make up for that).

The sound.........mmmmmmmmmmm the sound :cloud9:

:dry: My damn Scorpion rattles on a cross member somewhere when cold :thumbdown:

Have you taken that up with the trader or Scorpion themselves? I have found Scorpion to be very good when I dealt with their customer services about my bike exhaust. Should be able to solve it so long as its not too old :thumbs:

:dry: My damn Scorpion rattles on a cross member somewhere when cold :thumbdown:

Mine did too mate - just not fitted properly.

Get under it or take it to your local friendly tyre garage - large jubilee clip on the middle hanger tight as you can and it sorts it right out ;)

Replacing all of the exhaust sounds a bit drastic to get it through its MOT I am sure you can just do the back box. Genuine NMGB box is around £223+vat (depending on age etc.) but you might find it cheaper :shrug:

Nissan dealer at Mansfield qouted nearly £400inc vat but not fitting.

Flexi joints on the Y pipe. Had the problem,then fitted a Stillen Y and that pulled it all together and no adjustment required at the back.

Put the old one back on a couple of weeks back and the rattle when cold came back.

I just repaired mine yesterday, I cut the pipe about 50mm from the flange, sleeved the pipe & welded a new flang on the end, was pretty tricky getting the alignment set & holding it in place whilst removing it from the car to weld,

If your going to take it to a garage to just get the hole welded it will probably cost you say £20-£30, but if you want someone to mess about replacing the flange & sleeving the pipe like I have done you could be half way to getting a new exhaust.