Changes to MOT rules in 2012

ace

Well spare a thought for all the poor sods that just bought what they thought was a bargan ex MOD reserve truck.

They were up for sale for a reason! The new London emmision laws come into force soon and they are banned!

I was going to get a little Renault Quango or simular as a run around and even they are banned up to a certain age.

Think Boris needs a haircut!:)

Thenoname :boxing:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be a pain for some, I should be ok, managed to retain the headlight washers when the Superchargerand intercooler was fitted. No real change on the decat front, I'll just put the cats back in for the mot.

As Keyser said, feel sorry for those purchasing this year that will have no idea of the rule changes.

Taking mine in next weekend, might leave flyeyes on just to see what they say, if its a problem I can just peel them off.

Otherwise I would expect the Berks to go through.

I havent read over the rules in full, but no new rules about original fit reflectors have to be in place is there!

I havent read over the rules in full, but no new rules about original fit reflectors have to be in place is there!

The original front bumper reflectors were never a legal requirement, hence why you don't see them on other makes. I think some folk get confused between the reflectors and the side indicators, which are a legal requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Took my car for M.O.T yesterday and had a chat with the owner of the test centre. He was obviously aware of the new rules and said that as far as he was concerned he will only test headlight washers if they are fitted so if they have been completely removed that will not be a failure. He did admit it was a grey area though so other testers may adopt a different approach, but his attitude was that he couldn't be expected to know the spec for every single car. He also highlighted a possible problem with the new regs as track cars, rally cars have fixed position seats often welded into place.

Pete

He also highlighted a possible problem with the new regs as track cars, rally cars have fixed position seats often welded into place.

Pete

Thats what i did with my track car - just welded up a frame out of angleiron to bolt the race seats to. I also ditched the stock seatbelts for harnesses. However, most people tend to have brackets tho with holes drilled in them which give you a small amount of adjustment - like tilt and height etc, so maybe that counts?

Im hoping the new regs will be like the current MOT and very dependent up on the actual testers. My R1 motorbike for example has a loud race exhaust on it, no headlamps, no indicators and a few other race bits, but because my MOT man is understanding it always passes. Nothing illegal, its just how the regulations are interpreted. For example, with the exhaust, it says something like "must not be louder than equivalent motorbike" or something like that, and my man's view on this is that "well all these sports bikes have loud exhausts so its fine". The lack of headlamps and indicators is also fine as for motorbikes you can get a "day light" mot which is primarily aimed at motocross bikes, but theres no law which says you cant apply it to a sports motorbike. :thumbs:

• 8 months later...

Sorry for the thread revival, but i've got a question about the MOT changes for my other car...

Is an illuminated check engine light a failure now under these new rules? My fiesta has the eml light on for a faulty cat - but its still within the emission threshold to pass an MOT so i dont want to spend £350 fixing it if i dont have to.

Having had a google, it says illuminated warning lights are now a failure, but it goes on to list specific warning lights, such as ABS, TCS etc - but there's no mention of the EML. Does anyone know?

It is a failure, 100%. If you're unsure, just call your local test station.

Really...? I was of that opinion until i read the following

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light

Electronic power steering warning light

Brake fluid level warning light

Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light

Airbag warning light

Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light

Sorry for the thread revival, but i've got a question about the MOT changes for my other car...

Is an illuminated check engine light a failure now under these new rules? My fiesta has the eml light on for a faulty cat - but its still within the emission threshold to pass an MOT so i dont want to spend £350 fixing it if i dont have to.

Having had a google, it says illuminated warning lights are now a failure, but it goes on to list specific warning lights, such as ABS, TCS etc - but there's no mention of the EML. Does anyone know?

It seems that that the eml itself will not result in failure as it is not included in the list of mil's (malfunction indicator lights) that will result in failure, they are:-

Illumination of malfunction indicator light (MIL) for electronic power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake control, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system and air bag/pre‐tensioner/ load limiter

An eml (engine management light) should only normally attract an "advisory" which is what happened to a friend of mine recently, if you are still unsure then ring your MOT test centre and check directly :) Apparently there is some confusion as on some vehicles and EML can include one of the above MIL's :wacko::headhurt::surrender:

EDIT **B*gger** you guys beat me to it :blush:

It was a failure before the new rules came in IIRC, probably why it's not mentioned in the new rule updates. :)

Nope, EML was not a failure previously, as i got through last years MOT with an advisory (the car is complaining but it's still within emissions standards) - so it looks like im in the clear. Cheers anyway. :)

It seems that that the eml itself will not result in failure as it is not included in the list of mil's (malfunction indicator lights) that will result in failure, they are:-

Illumination of malfunction indicator light (MIL) for electronic power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake control, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system and air bag/preâ€tensioner/ load limiter

An eml (engine management light) should only normally attract an "advisory" which is what happened to a friend of mine recently, if you are still unsure then ring your MOT test centre and check directly :) Apparently there is some confusion as on some vehicles and EML can include one of the above MIL's :wacko::headhurt::surrender:

:lol: Cheers Graham... at least you've given me more confidence as you're interpreting it the same as me. :thumbs:

Illumination of malfunction indicator light (MIL) for electronic power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake control, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system and air bag/pre‐tensioner/ load limiter

:lol: Cheers Graham... at least you've given me more confidence as you're interpreting it the same as me. :thumbs:

:scare: Don't take my word as gospel mate :wacko: Let us know how you get on :thumbs: