Results Of Nissan Health Check Prior to MOT HELP!!

Trojan D079

Just picked up my z from having a free health check before its MOT next month results pricey.

I wont lie I am not a very technical minded person gradually learning though, but can some one explain the

likely hood of these bit causeing it to fail MOT and best place to order parts if I need to?

:headhurt:

Front pads 50% £195 incl Labour

Already spoke to Zmanalex about new pads but can wait for a while

Front discs Pitted slightly £495 incl Labour

Don’t really know what that means?

o/s/ lower arm rear bush separating Part Number N54468CD00C £481 incl Labour

This is one thing they said will very likely need changing but not a clue about what or wear this is, I will PM Zmanalex about this one

Total About £1170 incl Labour :wacko:

Just picked up my z from having a free health check before its MOT next month results pricey.

I wont lie I am not a very technical minded person gradually learning though, but can some one explain the

likely hood of these bit causeing it to fail MOT and best place to order parts if I need to?

This is one thing they said will very likely need changing but not a clue about what or wear this is, I will PM Zmanalex about this one

To be fair these are suggestions, that if left "May" cause you to fail the MOT. Yes you can source the parts cheaper, but the overall costs do look high. If the dealer is any good and you have confidence in them, perhaps if you speak to the service manager they might do you a bit of a deal on the work as when and if you want it doing prior to the MOT :thumbs:

Just typical nissan stealer prices.

What it all boils down too -

Your pads are worn, but it would still pass an MOT with them

Your discs have some corrosion (pitting) occuring. Without seeing a pic, I couldnt tell you if it would pass MOT or not.

Rear bush shot. Common thing on older Zeds. Alex does them pretty cheaply, and a local independant garage would be able to fit for you pretty cheaply too.

All in all, the dealer is charging you for parts and for labour. Both at a much higher rate than you can source the parts yourself and get an independant to fit.

Dealers can be over zealous in their "risk" assesment Flagging a warning that the pads are 50% worn (i.e. half way through their life?!) is surely a joke? When I got my car from Nissan they flagged the pads as needing replacement in 1000 miles. I got 10,000 miles out of it before I needed to replace them.

Personally id ignore everything they have said and take it for its MOT, then you will find out what items are in need of repair. Brake Discs are very often pitted, but dont affect breaking unless its mega serverely rusted. As for the worn suspension bush, my last car had that flagged as a "warning" one year on its MOT. I did nothing at all. It then passed its subsequent 4 MOT`s perfectly fine with no warnings at all.

Makes you laugh doesn't it...I had an advisory from Nissan in 2009 saying my brakes were 50% worn, considering the car had only done 7,200 miles and I'm extremely light on my brakes I was pretty astonished. Took it to the same dealer in 2010 now with 9,500 miles on the clock and yeah you've guessed it, no advisories :wacko: (except for one of the tyres which they quoted a hugely over inflated price on)

Pete

Things may have changed, but a couple of years ago I discussed the MOT braking requirements with our local tester who I have great faith in.

He told me that the rolling road testing machine is the judge and jury on the matter regarding brake loads, efficiency and balance. If the discs (rotors?) and pads are knackered but the car passes the rolling road, all he can do is issue an advisory. He is scared to put my 4 x 4 shed on the brake tester and goes out for a drive using the very old fashioned Tapley deceleration meter!

i thought zeds arent meant to go on a rolling brake test because of the diff??and it spins it backwards??mine gets done with a tapely every year. my zed got m.o.t before i bought it it was done at nissan it got advisory for 'play in anti roll bar' ive had it done 4 times now and that has never come up again :lol:

zmanalex and indepndant and job done :thumbs:

i thought zeds arent meant to go on a rolling brake test because of the diff??

Correct. As I understand it when they load your details up to do the test, it is meant to alert them to this fact so they do it the old "hoon it down the road and slam the brakes on" method :thumbs:

you d be suprised how many dont get flagged up theres only two garages near me that still have tapely meter and one of them i wouldnt let work anywhere near my car :lol:

but most are ready to fling a 350 on there regrdless i got in an argument with one place cause they were adement its fine to go on the rollers

to OP once you sort some parts im sure if you ask around here someone can help change your discs and pads for you it really is a simple job then thats half of your prob sorted.

+1 on all the above points - your brakes don't sound like they'll fail you an MOT. The bush - probably might as well get it done - and you will as already said get parts and labour much cheaper through an independent.

As Jumping350's experience shows some garages will ignore the advice given re rolling road so always best to ascertain how they will do the brake test :thumbs:

they do it the old "hoon it down the road and slam the brakes on" method :thumbs:

Great. Thats something else for me to look forward to then. I bet the MOT mechanics will be fighting over the keys to my car. :(

This happens every year at my local MOT garage and the chief MOT tester always wins :lol::lol::lol:

Correct. As I understand it when they load your details up to do the test, it is meant to alert them to this fact so they do it the old "hoon it down the road and slam the brakes on" method :thumbs:

How does putting it on a rolling road for said test affect the diff, and more importantly is there a way to tell if your car has had it done by a past MOT station (before you bought it) Or is it so blindingly obvious that you would know it's been done?

hmm... mine was tested on a rolling road, didn't know there was a problem re: the diff. All my vehicles (American) that have had lockers ATB and LSDs have been done on a rolling road.

"He told me that the rolling road testing machine is the judge and jury on the matter regarding brake loads, efficiency and balance. If the discs (rotors?) and pads are knackered but the car passes the rolling road, all he can do is issue an advisory."

If the pads are worn below their minimum or the discs are worn/cracked etc it will fail regardless of brake efficiency .

How does putting it on a rolling road for said test affect the diff, and more importantly is there a way to tell if your car has had it done by a past MOT station (before you bought it) Or is it so blindingly obvious that you would know it's been done?

I beleive its becase the drum/roller is powered and turns the single wheel while the other is stationary. This shafts the diff as it overworks it. Same if you have the car towed, you need to have the rear wheels lifted, so has to be on a flatbed or rear raised and front wheels used on the road. Its in the user manual.

Not sure on how you can tell if you're car has had this done to it before

+1 on the above i read somewhere its got to do with one wheel being stationary if both rear wheels are in motion its ok i think but garages dont test them like that.

it can spin the diff backwards and then chew itself to pieces or if not will put unneccasary strain on the diff in the wrong direction so not good whatever way you look at it.

:lol: the brake test fight is always a good one come m.o.t time

• 3 weeks later...
A good independent will sort you out at prices far better than you have been quoted and be honest as to whether you actually need them.

Suggest you try here as they seem one of the closest to you and are a trader on here ;)

http://www.h-dev.co.uk/index2.php?page=home

ask for Jez

Cheers Colin :D

Dident know I had anyone near me Jez has sorted out the bush problem just

going to wait till after my MOT till I think of changing the discs.

:thumbs: