Any photographers here????

Zugara

My Mrs has "decided" she wants to take up photography :wacko:

I am all in favour of this don't get me wrong, but she has seen and fallen in love with a Canon 60D SLR camera costing around £1000 :scare::scare:

Doogyrev very kindly offered his DSLR for a fantastic price, but my mrs says NOPE, Sorry Jim :surrender:

So, my question is this, Is a Canon 60D a good camera to start with or are there better for similar money :shrug:

Me? :boxing:

Any modern Canon DSLR is fine as long as you buy some decent lens with it. For starters I'd say use Canon 28-200mm, covers all ranges. Later on as she develops she'd need professional stuff, L range lens, flash, tripods, filters, etc

BTW, this year I'm the official photographer for the 3rd time in a row of the London New Year parade :blush:

I'm only an amateur and spent £250 on a second hand DSLR with 2 lenses, I've also got a few manual focus lenses too. Its true really that most of the goodness comes from the lenses so I'd try and get a couple of lenses with a camera at least. The body is really the inexpensive bit.

PERSONALLY

I'd say a 60D is too much for a first DSLR unless you really know what you want to get out of it.

If she really gets into it then you can always sell your camera for good money and buy an upgrade. There is also the chance that you will keep both as some different lenses suit different things.

I'd buy second hand until you know where you are going.

I fully appreciate what you have said about buying 2nd hand, and I am of the same opinion :thumbs:

However, she is steadfast on this Canon 60D which comes with a EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS Lens

or a

EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Now I am No photographer by any stretch, so Which would you say is a better Lens to go for?

I'm only an amateur and spent £250 on a second hand DSLR with 2 lenses, I've also got a few manual focus lenses too. Its true really that most of the goodness comes from the lenses so I'd try and get a couple of lenses with a camera at least. The body is really the inexpensive bit.

PERSONALLY

I'd say a 60D is too much for a first DSLR unless you really know what you want to get out of it.

If she really gets into it then you can always sell your camera for good money and buy an upgrade. There is also the chance that you will keep both as some different lenses suit different things.

I'd buy second hand until you know where you are going.

It depends on what you want to shoot really but I doubt the 18-55 would give you enough focal length.

I suspect the 18-55 will produce better pictures (if you really got into the nitty gritty) but I'd take the 18-135 if it was me as its more universal.

I mostly run a 40-150 on my E-510 (which has 2x crop factor) and I'm still hankering after something bigger for those super zoom shots as thats where I get the most out of my photography... that said, sometimes I switch out to my manual focus lenses for macro work so its all relative.

I think it could be suggested that she does a "lot" of homework before jumping into a camera... its a bit of a mine field to be honest!

18 to 135 is the better lens imo

I have the following

17 - 85 cracking lens

28mm F2.8 good for low light conditions

75 - 300 cheapish Zoom.. ok in good light

all on a EOS30D body, thing with a 60D, she won't grow out of it, but there are lot's to learn

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=141850263396&set=a.141849643396.109373.591183396&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=5559463396&set=a.5559403396.7052.591183396&type=3&theater

Marmite job, every one has their own personal opinion, I'm an Olympus fan you can get a reasonable starter dslr for under £300 in the "E-range".

Certainly wouldn't pay £500 plus to find out you don't like it. :snack:

just what I did. even for a modest E-510, it still does far more than I understand right now.

I suppose another question you can ask is that if she does like it do you have another £1000 to spend on lenses for the 60D

No way in hell I'd buying anyone who isnt already into photography something as expensive as a 60D. I'd get a cheaper second hand 300/350/400D and that EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lense. Great for starting out and knowing if you want to get into photography. Will have all the required features to cut your teeth in taking pics and easy to shift on if you then want to get a 60D.

Out of interest why is she so setfast for a 60D in particular? All of Canon's SLR rages are fairly similar from the look and feel perspective, so she *should* be more than happy with a lower X00D range (as above) over a 60D.

If you do get the 60D and then decide she doesnt like it, then I'll have it for half price :lol:

Chris, I don't know why she wants the 60D, I have asked her many times and no answer is forthcoming. Beats me mate.

Women, Pffff...... :lol:

Well when I cant give a good reason for getting something, I'm not allowed it. I suggest you use the same logic :lol:

I did suggest that, but was told that something might heal over :blush:

Wots a man to do..... :shrug:

Chris, I don't know why she wants the 60D, I have asked her many times and no answer is forthcoming. Beats me mate.

Women, Pffff...... :lol:

Well when I cant give a good reason for getting something, I'm not allowed it. I suggest you use the same logic :lol:

When she gets bored, give me a shout, I'll take it off ya hands :thumbs::lol:

I've started photography / using DSLRs back in 2003 with Canon 300D and went through 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 5D MK1, 50D, 5D MK2, never been bored about photography, although I'm running a SME now, I still love photography and still do jobs for my long-term clients like Russian Summer Ball, London Parade and many, many others.

My 2 pence ;)

Classic error young Chris. Applying male logic to what a woman wants. :lol:

Blokes will never understand female logic, it's a fact of life. :shrug:

Well said...... :lol::lol::lol:

Classic error young Chris. Applying male logic to what a woman wants. :lol:

Blokes will never understand female logic, it's a fact of life. :shrug: