Showing off Romania :) [PIC HEAVY]

Adrian@TORQEN

Except the first one about Coanda is debatable at best since his invention never flew or started up or did anything really, and Paulescu didn't discover insulin in 1922: That was when he first patented the right to manufacture it. He actually isolated it back in 1916, although Banting and Macleod were officially recognised via the Nobel prize for the discovery of insulin in 1923.

I guess that's probably why we'd never heard of them before. ;)

Point number 1 - Jet Engine - Did he balls. He made an engine that drove a centrifugal compressor with a four cylinder motor and, critically, given the pictures association with 747s and mass air transit, it didn't burn fuel in the compressed airstream.

The rest are outside my interests, but WTF has Steve Jobs got to do with cybernetics? He was a business man.

HTH.

I'm not an expert in engines, but this is publicly available on the internet:

The Coanda-1910 was amazingly ahead of it's time, with steel construction used in the wings, mobile surfaces placed ahead of the wings leading edges to increase lift, all fuel and lubricants placed in the upper wing and above all the engine. His engine the "Air-Reactive Engine", comprised of a four cylinder, 50 hp, water cooled Clerget piston engine connected to a gearbox, then to a compressor which rotated at 4,000 rpm. In front of the compressor a device much like the iris of a camera (called by Henri Coanda a obturator) controlled the amount of air entering the compressor. The air went from the compressor to "Burning Rooms" (combustion-chambers of a ring like section which were fitted ether side of the fuselage) were the exhaust from the piston engine and fuel were added and ignited, the resulting very hot and expanding exhaust exited through tubes and down the steel-sheeted sides of the aeroplane producing the thrust.

The aeroplane was on display in October 1910 at the Second International Aeronautical Exhibition at the Grand Palais in Paris were it caused a great deal of interest and crowds as no one had seen any thing like it before (nor would they for another thirty years!). After the Exhibition closed on the 10th of December 1910, Henri Coanda moved his aeroplane to Issy-Les-Moulineaux, were he intended to test the engine, the results of which are best told by Henri Coanda himself:

"It was on 16 December 1910. I had no intention of flying on that day. My plan was to check the operation of the engine on the ground but the heat of the jet blast coming back at me was greater than I expected and I was worried in case I set the aeroplane on fire. For this reason I concentrated on adjusting the jet and did not realize that the aircraft was rapidly gaining speed. Then I looked up and saw the walls of Paris approaching rapidly. There was no time to stop or turn round and I decided to try and fly instead. Unfortunately I had no experience of flying and was not used to the controls of the aeroplane. The aeroplane seemed to make a sudden steep climb and then landed with a bump. First the left wing hit the ground and then the aircraft crumpled up. I was not strapped in and so was fortunately thrown clear of the burning machine".

How ever after this (the FIRST flight of a jet powered aeroplane) Henri Coanda could not find financial backing to progress with his invention.

Gustava Eiffel remarked of Henri Coanda "This boy should have been born thirty years later"

More technical stuff available here:

http://www.rexresearch.com/coanda/1coanda.htm

Knowing a thing or two about jet engines, that doesn't quite fit the bill to me. A jet engine should be self sustaining: the compressor is driven by the exhaust gasses, not by an external piston engine which would be a HUGE limiting factor in power output. Taking nothing away from the guy as he was clearly ahead of his time (the RAF still though piston engines were the way forward into the 40's), but bouncing off a runway before bursting into flames without actually demonstrating that the engine can produce sufficient power for flight isn't really a resounding success. Very interesting though :thumbs:

DB

I'm not an expert in engines, but this is publicly available on the internet:

The Coanda-1910 was amazingly ahead of it's time, with steel construction used in the wings, mobile surfaces placed ahead of the wings leading edges to increase lift, all fuel and lubricants placed in the upper wing and above all the engine. His engine the "Air-Reactive Engine", comprised of a four cylinder, 50 hp, water cooled Clerget piston engine connected to a gearbox, then to a compressor which rotated at 4,000 rpm. In front of the compressor a device much like the iris of a camera (called by Henri Coanda a obturator) controlled the amount of air entering the compressor. The air went from the compressor to "Burning Rooms" (combustion-chambers of a ring like section which were fitted ether side of the fuselage) were the exhaust from the piston engine and fuel were added and ignited, the resulting very hot and expanding exhaust exited through tubes and down the steel-sheeted sides of the aeroplane producing the thrust.

The aeroplane was on display in October 1910 at the Second International Aeronautical Exhibition at the Grand Palais in Paris were it caused a great deal of interest and crowds as no one had seen any thing like it before (nor would they for another thirty years!). After the Exhibition closed on the 10th of December 1910, Henri Coanda moved his aeroplane to Issy-Les-Moulineaux, were he intended to test the engine, the results of which are best told by Henri Coanda himself:

"It was on 16 December 1910. I had no intention of flying on that day. My plan was to check the operation of the engine on the ground but the heat of the jet blast coming back at me was greater than I expected and I was worried in case I set the aeroplane on fire. For this reason I concentrated on adjusting the jet and did not realize that the aircraft was rapidly gaining speed. Then I looked up and saw the walls of Paris approaching rapidly. There was no time to stop or turn round and I decided to try and fly instead. Unfortunately I had no experience of flying and was not used to the controls of the aeroplane. The aeroplane seemed to make a sudden steep climb and then landed with a bump. First the left wing hit the ground and then the aircraft crumpled up. I was not strapped in and so was fortunately thrown clear of the burning machine".

How ever after this (the FIRST flight of a jet powered aeroplane) Henri Coanda could not find financial backing to progress with his invention.

Gustava Eiffel remarked of Henri Coanda "This boy should have been born thirty years later"

More technical stuff available here:

http://www.rexresearch.com/coanda/1coanda.htm

Vs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Coand%C4%83

Aviation activities in France

Upon his return in 1909, he travelled to Paris, where he enrolled in the newly founded École Nationale Superieure d'Ingenieurs en Construction Aéronautique (now the École Nationale Supérieure de l'Aéronautique et de l'Espace, also known as SUPAERO). One year later (1910) he graduated at the head of the first class of aeronautical engineers.

Coandă-1910 airplane

In 1910, in the workshop of Gianni Caproni, he designed and built an aircraft known as the Coandă-1910, which he displayed publicly at the second International Aeronautic Salon in Paris that year. The plane used a 4-cylinder piston engine to power a rotary compressor which was intended to propel the craft by a combination of suction at the front and airflow out the rear instead of using a propeller.

Contemporary sources describe the Coandă-1910 as incapable of flight.[4] Years later, after others had developed jet technology, Coandă started making claims that it was a motorjet, and that it actually flew.[3] According to Charles Gibbs-Smith: "There was never any idea of injecting fuel; the machine never flew; it was never destroyed on test; and Flight noted that it was sold to a Monsieur Weyman."[2] Gibbs-Smith continued, "The claim said that after a disastrous crash (which never happened) Coandă wished to begin a 'second aircraft', but 'his funds were exhausted.' Within a year he was ... exhibiting (in October 1911) a brand new propeller-driven machine at the Reims Concours Militaire..."[2] Other aviation writers accepted Coandă's story of his flight tests with the Coandă-1910.[5]

In any case, it isn't self sustaining, and it's not axial flow, so for that reason Jimmy - ahm oot!

Except the first one about Coanda is debatable at best since his invention never flew or started up or did anything really, and Paulescu didn't discover insulin in 1922: That was when he first patented the right to manufacture it. He actually isolated it back in 1916, although Banting and Macleod were officially recognised via the Nobel prize for the discovery of insulin in 1923.

I guess that's probably why we'd never heard of them before. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin

Nicolae Paulescu, a Romanian professor of physiology at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Bucharest, was the first to isolate insulin, in 1916, which he called at that time, pancrein, by developing an aqueous pancreatic extract which, when injected into a diabetic dog, proved to have a normalizing effect on blood sugar levels. He had to interrupt his experiments because the World War I and in 1921 he wrote four papers about his work carried out in Bucharest and his tests on a diabetic dog. Later that year, he detailed his work by publishing an extensive whitepaper on the effect of the pancreatic extract injected into a diabetic animal, which he called: "Research on the Role of the Pancreas in Food Assimilation" [36][37].

Only 8 months later, the discoveries he published were copied (or, as some say, confirmed) by doctor Frederick Grant Banting and biochemist John James Rickard Macleod, who were later awarded the Nobel prize for the discovery of insulin in 1923, which Paulescu discovered as early as 1916. By the time Banting also isolated insulin, Paulescu already held a patent for his discovery and he was the first to secure the patent rights for his method of manufacturing pancreine/insulin (April 10, 1922, patent no. 6254 (8322) "Pancreina şi procedeul fabricaţiei ei"/"Pancrein and the process of making it", from the Romanian Ministry of Industry and Trade). Moreover, Banting was very familiar with Paulescu’s work, he even used Paulescu’s “Research on the Role of the Pancreas in Food Assimilation†as reference in the paper that brought him the Nobel [38].

Paulescu Controversy

It is often said that the cause for not being recognised as the true discoverer of insulin is because he expressed antisemitic and anti-masonic views. In 2003, following protests from several Jewish organizations, the inauguration of his bust at the Hôtel-Dieu State Hospital in Paris, scheduled for August 27, was cancelled. Also, the French Minister of Health, stated that all his scientific merit must be nullified because of his "brutal inhumanity" of expressing anti-Jewish views. In 2005, the Executive Board of the International Diabetes Federation decided that "the institute does not be associated with Nicolae Paulescu" because of his anti-semitic views and that "there would be no Paulescu Lecture at World Diabetes Congresses should such a request be receivedâ€, all his other lectures, or related to him, were banned.

He was also the first individual to use insulin to reduce blood sugar in a mammal, carrying out a series of treatments on diabetics animals and recording its efficacy when injected.[39

some guff nicked from the wiki

That's exactly what I said, because that's the source I used too. All it does is prove your original picture wrong still. :shrug:

He did not discover insulin in 1922. Simple as that.

Can't follow your logic, sorry...

By the time Banting also isolated insulin, Paulescu already held a patent for his discovery and he was the first to secure the patent rights for his method of manufacturing pancreine/insulin (April 10, 1922, patent no. 6254 (8322) "Pancreina şi procedeul fabricaţiei ei"/"Pancrein and the process of making it"

Personally I'd be more interested in the physical beauty of the country, so come on Adrian show us some scenery :thumbs:

+1 my bro worked in Romania and said theres some very nice places but also alot of heartache and poverty in areas. Said it made him feel quite down as they were staying in a very plush hotel and spending lots on food.

some guff nicked from the wiki

That's exactly what I said, because that's the source I used too. All it does is prove your original picture wrong still. :shrug:

He did not discover insulin in 1922. Simple as that.

Can't follow your logic, sorry...

By the time Banting also isolated insulin, Paulescu already held a patent for his discovery and he was the first to secure the patent rights for his method of manufacturing pancreine/insulin (April 10, 1922, patent no. 6254 (8322) "Pancreina şi procedeul fabricaţiei ei"/"Pancrein and the process of making it"

How can I make this more simple for you? Let's see...

IN YOUR FIRST POST, YOU PUT UP THIS PIC:

nicolae-paulescu.jpg

IT CLEARLY STATES THAT HE DISCOVERED INSULIN IN 1922. YES, 1922. IT'S VERY CLEAR ON THAT STATEMENT.

I THEN POSTED THIS:

"Paulescu didn't discover insulin in 1922: That was when he first patented the right to manufacture it. He actually isolated it back in 1916, although Banting and Macleod were officially recognised via the Nobel prize for the discovery of insulin in 1923."

THAT WAS WHERE I STATED FOR THE FIRST TIME THAT HE DIDN'T DISCOVER IT IN 1922, THAT WAS WHEN HE SECURED THE PATENT FOR THE MANUFACTURE OF INSULIN. DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE WORDS "DISCOVER" AND "PATENT"? YES? THEN I'LL MOVE ON.

YOU THEN RIPPED A HUGE SECTION OUT OF THE WIKIPEDIA PAGE THAT WENT A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

Nicolae Paulescu, a Romanian professor of physiology at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Bucharest, was the first to isolate insulin, in 1916, which he called at that time, pancrein, by developing an aqueous pancreatic extract which, when injected into a diabetic dog, proved to have a normalizing effect on blood sugar levels. He had to interrupt his experiments because the World War I and in 1921 he wrote four papers about his work carried out in Bucharest and his tests on a diabetic dog. Later that year, he detailed his work by publishing an extensive whitepaper on the effect of the pancreatic extract injected into a diabetic animal, which he called: "Research on the Role of the Pancreas in Food Assimilation" [36][37].

Only 8 months later, the discoveries he published were copied (or, as some say, confirmed) by doctor Frederick Grant Banting and biochemist John James Rickard Macleod, who were later awarded the Nobel prize for the discovery of insulin in 1923, which Paulescu discovered as early as 1916. By the time Banting also isolated insulin, Paulescu already held a patent for his discovery and he was the first to secure the patent rights for his method of manufacturing pancreine/insulin (April 10, 1922, patent no. 6254 (8322) "Pancreina şi procedeul fabricaţiei ei"/"Pancrein and the process of making it", from the Romanian Ministry of Industry and Trade). Moreover, Banting was very familiar with Paulescu’s work, he even used Paulescu’s “Research on the Role of the Pancreas in Food Assimilation†as reference in the paper that brought him the Nobel [38].

THE BIT IN BOLD IS FAIRLY IMPORTANT HERE, AND IS SOMEWHAT CRUCIAL TO THE ENTIRE PROCESS. DO YOU SEE THE DATE? THAT WOULD BE 1916, OR EXACTLY WHEN I SAID HE DISCOVERED IT. IT ALSO MENTIONS WHEN IT WAS PATENTED FOR A SPECIFIC METHOD OF MANUFACTURE, WHICH WOULD BE APRIL 10TH, 1922.

I REALLY HOPE YOU CAN SEE WHERE WE'RE HEADING NOW, BECAUSE I'M STARTING TO DEAFEN MYSELF WITH ALL THIS SHOUTING.

TO SAVE SOME TIME I WON'T BOTHER REQUOTING THE LAST COMMENT I MADE AND YOUR SUBSEQUENT RETORT, AS I SUSPECT THAT MY POINT IS NOW MADE. JUST IN CASE, HOWEVER:

NICOLAE PAULESCU DID NOT DISCOVER INSULIN IN 1922. HE DISCOVERED IT IN 1916, HE ONLY PATENTED IT IN 1922, THUS YOUR PICTURE AND ASSOCIATED CAPTION IS MORE WRONG THAN A NUN ARMED WITH A BOTTLE OF KY LUBE AND A SMALL GERBIL.

And yes, Romania is a very pretty country. I particularly like the car park in pic 62, but the pregnant boy in pic 4 scares me. ;)

NICOLAE PAULESCU DID NOT DISCOVER INSULIN IN 1922. HE DISCOVERED IT IN 1916, HE ONLY PATENTED IT IN 1922, THUS YOUR PICTURE AND ASSOCIATED CAPTION IS MORE WRONG THAN A NUN ARMED WITH A BOTTLE OF KY LUBE AND A SMALL GERBIL.

:worthless:

:blush: