Ordered new specs...

Stew

While I like the idea of never having to bother with glasses or contacts again, I really just can't stand the idea of sitting in a chair and watching while someone uses a knife to cut and peel back part of the surface of the eye and then shines a laser straight in it! I'm not normally particularly squeamish, but just the thought of it makes me go all funny!

Jump in the Zed and go outta town to another one then :p

But our local Specsavers is pants :)

Varifocals free at specsavers.... ;)
:o You must have picked up some very expenisve frames mate. unless they're verifocals in which case the lenses are very expensive.

I'll see if I can find one next to a Lidl, could save lots of problems according to Dave :lol:

Jump in the Zed and go outta town to another one then :p
But our local Specsavers is pants :)

Varifocals free at specsavers.... ;)
:o You must have picked up some very expenisve frames mate. unless they're verifocals in which case the lenses are very expensive.

I've had my current specs for quite a few years... 8 maybe? So all in all it's not too bad.

Next time I'll be prepared.

As for Laser, my Mum and sidter have had it done. My Mums was complex due to other stuff and she got a bill for a shade under 10 grand. My Dad went but isn't eligible. I have eyes like my Dad but can't afford laser even if I was eligible. :lol:

I've had my current specs for quite a few years... 8 maybe? So all in all it's not too bad.

Next time I'll be prepared.

As for Laser, my Mum and sidter have had it done. My Mums was complex due to other stuff and she got a bill for a shade under 10 grand. My Dad went but isn't eligible. I have eyes like my Dad but can't afford laser even if I was eligible. :lol:

If you're coming out my way for a holiday sometime, makes sense to get your eyes tested here (free by a certified opt.) and get your specs made. Really cheap and every brand and fashion you can imagine as it seems almost the entire local population wears specs. Getting so much to be the norm that you even get people who don't need specs wearing them as a fashion accessory! My wife got her lasik work done on her eyes 5 years back in Hong Kong for the equivalent of about 2k by one of the best eye surgeons. Must say it was a bit odd sitting out in the private waiting room and being able to see the surgery in real time on the TV screen :scare: Surgery worked a treat though!

While I like the idea of never having to bother with glasses or contacts again, I really just can't stand the idea of sitting in a chair and watching while someone uses a knife to cut and peel back part of the surface of the eye and then shines a laser straight in it! I'm not normally particularly squeamish, but just the thought of it makes me go all funny!

One of the problems with laser surgery is that it isn't permanent. Once you reach 50 or so you will almost certainly once again need glasses for reading as your eyes age and currently there is no laser treatment for presbyopia (although you should retain your distance vision) Having said that, it's well worth getting it done if you're in your 20's or 30's, mate of mine had his done about 20 years ago and he was 5.5 and 6.0 :scare: , about the limit in those days.

Pete

I got the missus laser for her 21sr birthday present. Her eyes were sore for about a week but now she has perfect vision. Don't expect the bill to be below 2k though. I was dooped by tv adverts offering from 495 and eye lol.

Bizarrely I had specs when I was younger for long distance but now my eyes are perfect. I suffered headaches reading blackboards at school. Usually white on black gets my eyes for some reason lol

I got the missus laser for her 21sr birthday present. Her eyes were sore for about a week but now she has perfect vision. Don't expect the bill to be below 2k though. I was dooped by tv adverts offering from 495 and eye lol.

Bizarrely I had specs when I was younger for long distance but now my eyes are perfect. I suffered headaches reading blackboards at school. Usually white on black gets my eyes for some reason lol

hope you used Ultralase :)

I had a very similar experience. One of my friends is a girl. Oh and she works at an opticians and always used to go on about how much better than Specsavers they were etc.

I went in for glasses and she handed me over to her colleague who deals with frames. I said similar to "I have no fashion sense, please pick something that doesn't look horrible" and she choose some frameless ones that I thought were good. I didn't look at the price as I thought it would be similar to ASDA where I can just pick things and pay at the end without worrying about it.

It was only when I came to pay that I realised they were £530!!!!!!!! I didn't even know it was possible to buy glasses that expensive. The frame alone was £350 and they don't really have a frame. Anyway, it was my stupid fault for not checking and I didn't want to embarrass my friend by shouting "are you fu*** serious" so I just paid (I'm wearing them now).

sure did mate :thumbs:

hope you used Ultralase :)

For those of us who drive abroad - it's a requirement in France, if you need glasses, you have to have to have a spare pair - so you need to get the 'free' pair as well (though I carry a spare pair from my last 'old' prescription)

It might be a pain (in the wallet) but I actually think this makes sense and is a good policy

Just like it's a requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs, that makes sense, too

(Mind you, looking at some of the old cars on the road in rural France, not sure of the French abide by any of these regulations, whether they make sense or not)