Whats your most 'regrettable' mod?

deank93

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cost, for next to no gains unless you have an up rev. Total waste of money IMO. A mods that people say "you must have"

Balls, is my answer, don't be sucked in to it, you won't notice ANY difference apart from your brain kidding your mind into thinking there is some difference.

You will notice more difference fitting a high flow panel filter at a fraction of the cost.

Been there,

Seen it,

Done it,

Lost £200

My advice, spend the money on something else. :thumbs:

quote="Dicky"]

Plenum spacer..o

What's the downside of the plenum spacer mod :scare: . I was thinking of getting one

The reason I’m considering the plenum spacer is because of the uprev mod. I’ve been thinking about doing it for a while now but worried about the cost/benefit of it, I also need to find out how it will affect my insurance. Anyway, have you sold your plenum spacer? if not pm me and let me know what you want for it. Cheers Dicky :thumbs:

cost, for next to no gains unless you have an up rev. Total waste of money IMO. A mods that people say "you must have"

Balls, is my answer, don't be sucked in to it, you won't notice ANY difference apart from your brain kidding your mind into thinking there is some difference.

You will notice more difference fitting a high flow panel filter at a fraction of the cost.

Been there,

Seen it,

Done it,

Lost £200

quote="Dicky"]

Plenum spacer..o

What's the downside of the plenum spacer mod :scare: . I was thinking of getting one

Don't agree, IMO a well worth mod not only for hp increase (gave 9 on mine and felt it mid range) but also for the restrictive design of the plenum to give more air in there. mix it in with the air filter and hfc's and a tasty exhaust followed with uprev and you're laughing.

Might be crappy on UK ecu's... ;)

Been there,

Seen it,

Done it,

Lost £200

quote="Dicky"]

Plenum spacer..o

Have to disagree, Just had plenum spacer + HFCs + Milltek fitted and upreved with an '06 airbox and Cossie filter and the car is definitely quicker but more importantly pulls better throughout the revs, so just feels miles better. Maybe just the spacer on its own wouldn't be worth the cash, but as I was replacing the exhaust anyway (old one fell apart) im glad i dished out for the rest of the mods to get the most out of it.

DB

Been there,

Seen it,

Done it,

Lost £200

quote="Dicky"]

Plenum spacer..o

Have to disagree, Just had plenum spacer + HFCs + Milltek fitted and upreved with an '06 airbox and Cossie filter and the car is definitely quicker but more importantly pulls better throughout the revs, so just feels miles better. Maybe just the spacer on its own wouldn't be worth the cash, but as I was replacing the exhaust anyway (old one fell apart) im glad i dished out for the rest of the mods to get the most out of it.

DB

How much have all these mods cost you & how much have you gained?

Been there,

Seen it,

Done it,

Lost £200

quote="Dicky"]

Plenum spacer..o

DB

The Milltek + Berks + plenum spacer + Uprev cost between 2 and 2.5K, don't know exactly as i had a lot of other stuff done at the same time. It dyno'd at 307BHP, so if we assume my DE engine was actually making the stated 276 horses (which it probably wasn't) then i gained 31BHP, giving me a cost of at best about £64 per horse. Doesn't sound like a great deal when you put it like that, but factor in the much smoother torque delivery and the power all the way up to the limiter, as well as the epic noise from the new exhaust and it just about feels worth it. Not sure i'd have gone and paid for the lot if the car was already working perfectly, but it had a blowing OEM system with a ratty K2 on the back, so that needed replacing anyway and i figured i might as well do it properly :thumbs:

DB

Nice number Darren :thumbs::thumbs: Spill the beans, what else did you have done? All I have missing from the equivalent jig saw are the HFC's, I am soooo tempted, might have to have a listen to yours :)

DB

The Milltek + Berks + plenum spacer + Uprev cost between 2 and 2.5K, don't know exactly as i had a lot of other stuff done at the same time. It dyno'd at 307BHP, so if we assume my DE engine was actually making the stated 276 horses (which it probably wasn't) then i gained 31BHP, giving me a cost of at best about £64 per horse. Doesn't sound like a great deal when you put it like that, but factor in the much smoother torque delivery and the power all the way up to the limiter, as well as the epic noise from the new exhaust and it just about feels worth it. Not sure i'd have gone and paid for the lot if the car was already working perfectly, but it had a blowing OEM system with a ratty K2 on the back, so that needed replacing anyway and i figured i might as well do it properly :thumbs:

DB

Worst mod - alloy gators. They might be ok on rays but on the rotas they have a habit of flying off at high speed! Also kinda hard to remove them without damaging the wheels :thumbdown:

Second worst mod - Rota GTRs - look great but 2 had to be replaced due to cracks and they are soo easy to kerb, also don't do anything for the handling.

Nice number Darren :thumbs::thumbs: Spill the beans, what else did you have done? All I have missing from the equivalent jig saw are the HFC's, I am soooo tempted, might have to have a listen to yours :)

I'm not Darren, lol, and those were the only power mods, all the other stuff was brakes and suspension. Word of caution; the HFCs add a pretty loud raspy 'bark' to the exhaust between about 4 and 4.5k. Could be a marmite thing, as i personally love it but could certainly understand how someone could hate it.

DB

Ooops sorry Danny, that'll teach me to post in a hurry :blush:

I'm not Darren, lol, and those were the only power mods, all the other stuff was brakes and suspension. Word of caution; the HFCs add a pretty loud raspy 'bark' to the exhaust between about 4 and 4.5k. Could be a marmite thing, as i personally love it but could certainly understand how someone could hate it.

DB

Graham how long have you been 'thinking' about Berks :boxing:

You know very well I have the EXACT same setup as you but with Berks and you have heard / followed and been followed by me many many times :lol:

Just stock procrastinating and get them bought and fitted, you will definitely notice the difference in both sound and performance :thumbs:

Milltek/Berks/Plenum & Uprev :cloud9:

Exactly what I have too :teeth:

DB

If you fit a Pop Charger too then it fills in that 4-4.5k area with a really nice sound :cloud9:

I have a modified air box that I swap over for when the weather turns bad and the windows stay up ;)

DB

If you fit a Pop Charger too then it fills in that 4-4.5k area with a really nice sound :cloud9:

I have a modified air box that I swap over for when the weather turns bad and the windows stay up ;)

The car had a JWT on it when i bought it, and i have to say i didn't notice any difference in noise when i swapped it for the '06 airbox. Could just be because i wasn't really listening for it. Might think about a CAI of some sort again in the future, but for now the exhaust on its own is :cloud9: enough for me :thumbs:

Getting vaguely back on thread, i have to say my most regrettable mod is my homebrew carbon dash/centre console. Looks fantastic now that it's finished, but the three interiors and many hours (actually more like months) of my time, plus the pretty hefty materials costs have soured the end result really, which is a shame.

DB

I wasn't talking about all the " bells and whistles" that is required with the plenum spacer was I :shrug:

Loads of "peer pressure" although inadvertent but more subliminal, suggests that a Plenum Spacer alone, will help with the engine breathing and that the air intake to the front two cylinders will be improved due to the higher volume of air within the plenum caused by the spacer would give better performance.

Surely, Nissan R&D would have analysed, modified, and corrected the air flow and requirements within the plenum :shrug:

So, for nearly 2.5k, you have actually gained what??? A huge loss of money that you could hardly recoup when you come to sell, a modification that will eventually become the "norm" you wouldn't even notice the difference after a couple of months, as your brain becomes accustomed to the "huge power gains" you have just paid for :blush:

Yes, Having al the "other" requirements that go along with the spacer, you would naturally see an increase in something or other wouldn't you?

If I said i have a miracle device that could give you another 40hp, you would buy it wouldn't you, why, because you would "feel" the need to "have it".

This is the point I am trying to make here. A spacer ALONE, does jack sh1t. :rant:

Whilst I don't agree/disagree with an up rev, I, IMO, don't see why its required, yes it takes away the rev limiter in the first 3 gears, great, how ofter do you drive unto the red line anyway.......hmmmm, hardly ever, and how long before you become accustomed to the "new power gains", Hmmmm, very quickly.

If you want to spunk 2.5k, to gain shall we say "small" gains, IMO, then congratulations, you have been fished in by peer pressure :clap::clap:

All said and done its your money, spend it as you see fit. If another 10/15hp rocks you boat, cool for you :thumbs:

You obviously became accustomed to the initial power the car gave you, and you wanted more, soon you will be in the same situation, what next a turbo?

I see it as a money extracting un-necessary mod, and the weak amongst us fall into that hole.

Not entirely sure what point you're arguing there Zugara, I even said in one of my posts that i probably wouldn't recommend the outlay for the gains I got, and that i only went for the spacer as well because in the context of the lump of money i was spending (~3.5K in total) it didn't really add much. However I meant that in the same way that Clarkson said he'd love an Alfa but he could never recommend one to a friend in good conscience: I like it, but i can still see it wasn't a logical decision.

Suggesting I just bowed to peer pressure in bombing 2.5K on pointless mods just seems like an unnecessary dig. What you haven't considered is that maybe there is an untangible benefit that i gained in feeling that my car is now performing at its full potential, the way i feel it always should have. I don't do peer pressure, i really don't, but one of the things i do do is tinker with stuff, always trying to improve them. So this is just an expression of that trait as i see it.

Things like this are always going to have that subjective element to them depending on people's motivation. If you're chasing numbers then yes you're absolutely right, give it up and either live with it or buy a faster car, but if it's about feeling like the car is running as it always should have then I'd have to say that it was worth it just to know i've taken every reasonable (again, this is subjective) measure to improve my car.

I hope this didn't come across as a rant, because it wasn't, just a bit more explanation on why I DON'T regret this particular mod.

DB

Pipercross pop-charger - pointless. No noise difference and likely caused a loss in power. Back to stock.

K1 exhaust - looked cheap (IMO), WAAAAAY too loud and exageratted every single rattle in the car. Back to stock.

ACT 6-puck sprung clutch - great clutch but a beeatch to drive. Would love to go back to stock / exedy but have an ACT pro-light flywheel as well, and they may not be compatible (issues on my350z). Reverting back would therefore cost a new clutch and flywheel +fitting, but will need doing if I ever want to sell the car.

Powder coating plenum - looked ok, but is now flaking and looks worse than stock.

Squiggly wire thing in engine bay - does nothing, cost a fortune and doesn't particularly look good. When I installed it, i knackered the thread on one of the bolts on the butterfly valve so can't get it off now. When I remove it, it will be up for sale, so probably not doing any favours slagging it off :blush:

Carbon engine cover and radiator cover thing - no point as it's under a sheet of metal 99.99% of the time.

Engine damper - no noticeable difference after installation.

The only mods I've done that I'm impressed with are visual ones because that's tailored to my specific taste (includes lowering the car to give a better stance). Maybe 60% of the mods I've done are a complete waste of time and money for me. I'd have been half way to fitting a supercharger if I'd saved the money, although I'd probably have regretted that too.

You make out like Nissan spent lots of money. H

The 350 was a cost cutting exercise hence it was so cheap. Some people say the front to cylinders where starves because of the strut brace, Bonnet or pedestrian safety. There is deffo a difference with the plenum spacer. It's only in the mid range though.

I wasn't talking about all the " bells and whistles" that is required with the plenum spacer was I :shrug:

Loads of "peer pressure" although inadvertent but more subliminal, suggests that a Plenum Spacer alone, will help with the engine breathing and that the air intake to the front two cylinders will be improved due to the higher volume of air within the plenum caused by the spacer would give better performance.

Surely, Nissan R&D would have analysed, modified, and corrected the air flow and requirements within the plenum :shrug:

So, for nearly 2.5k, you have actually gained what??? A huge loss of money that you could hardly recoup when you come to sell, a modification that will eventually become the "norm" you wouldn't even notice the difference after a couple of months, as your brain becomes accustomed to the "huge power gains" you have just paid for :blush:

Yes, Having al the "other" requirements that go along with the spacer, you would naturally see an increase in something or other wouldn't you?

If I said i have a miracle device that could give you another 40hp, you would buy it wouldn't you, why, because you would "feel" the need to "have it".

This is the point I am trying to make here. A spacer ALONE, does jack sh1t. :rant:

Whilst I don't agree/disagree with an up rev, I, IMO, don't see why its required, yes it takes away the rev limiter in the first 3 gears, great, how ofter do you drive unto the red line anyway.......hmmmm, hardly ever, and how long before you become accustomed to the "new power gains", Hmmmm, very quickly.

If you want to spunk 2.5k, to gain shall we say "small" gains, IMO, then congratulations, you have been fished in by peer pressure :clap::clap:

All said and done its your money, spend it as you see fit. If another 10/15hp rocks you boat, cool for you :thumbs:

You obviously became accustomed to the initial power the car gave you, and you wanted more, soon you will be in the same situation, what next a turbo?

I see it as a money extracting un-necessary mod, and the weak amongst us fall into that hole.