Little known movies

coldel

Thought I would post something up about movies which don't normally make it onto the big screen but certainly have a lot to offer...I recently, by total accident, started watching a film on a channel buried away on freeview called Ip Man - its a chinese martial arts movie with subtitles (probably have a tonne of people come on here and say its well known now!) but it has a fascinating storyline and quite unbelievable fight scenes :thumbs: just mind blowing in fact. The fact that its based on a true story and the central character went on to do amazing things in real life (wont spoil the surprise) makes it even better.

Ip Man 2 I just bought on DVD but I think it fell foul of some hollywood influence as its not anywhere near as good as the first one.

First one is well worth a watch if you like martial arts stuff and fancy something different...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happiness.

No really, the film called Happiness. One of the darkest, most twisted yet utterly normal films you'll ever watch. It was recommended to me ages ago and I impulse purchased because it was cheap on DVD, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

One of my pupils, Mhairi, starred in a film called 'The Daisy Chain' where she played an autistic girl named Daisy. It was shown at several film festivals around the globe. I went to the premier in Glasgow with some other staff and Mhairi who answered questions from the public after the viewing. Sadly she wasn't allowed to come in and watch it with us as the age rating was too high for her - seems silly given that she filmed it but hey ho.

She was also the sister in the recent film NEDS - a wee star in the making!

I liked IP man 2, thought IP man 1 was better... :thumbs:

Ong Bak is a great martial arts film.... Ong Bak 2 - ok, Ong Bak 3 was dire :thumbdown:

Yes Ong Bak was good too...thought Ip Man 2 had a bit too much Rocky 4 in it where Apollo Creed is killed by Drago who then fights Rocky etc, seemed a bit too similar. Still a good film but not as good as the first one.

I liked IP man 2, thought IP man 1 was better... :thumbs:

Ong Bak is a great martial arts film.... Ong Bak 2 - ok, Ong Bak 3 was dire :thumbdown:

Yes Ong Bak was good too...thought Ip Man 2 had a bit too much Rocky 4 in it where Apollo Creed is killed by Drago who then fights Rocky etc, seemed a bit too similar. Still a good film but not as good as the first one.

I love all the Kung foo/Martial arts films

This is a good one

Or this (Hard Boiled)is an awesome awesome film... more shooting then martial arts

That Hardboiled scene is awesome!

One of my favourite films is Run Lola Run, it's german with subtitles. I won't give the game away - it's about a girl called Lola who runs around a lot :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o3rZYZR ... re=related

Definately seems to run a lot :lol:

This is also one of my Fave films... City of God.. Amazing film :thumbs:

Tarmac..... you appreciate "Old Boy" ...?

Great film B)

Yeah, old boy is a cult film.. Couple of sick bits in it.

Being Japanese myself and fluent in the language helps me appreciate these sort of films.

Battle Royale is a big fave of mine too

oohhh.. yes. Battle Royale. B)

The re-make is AWFUL though. :yuck: