powder coat or polishing???

bboyzeez

hi all i read a few threads on here and im still kind of stuck.... you see i want to do more of this car myself than pay others to do it and when i look at sorting my plenum out i see maybe its cheaper to use my cordless drill and a polishing kit from halfords and then the paint for after than to pay for powder coating ?

i got a gun metal grey zed and would prefer the plenum to be polished nicely and then the plastic parts around and usual bits maybe painted same as car but i have a few questions...

1. is it easy to remove the plenum and how long would it take to polish it up and paint it?

2. where is the best place in uk to buy the hose covers maybe nice silver (chrome sorry) or black havent decided yet?

3.i seen some people have the rad caps etc with the nice Z symbols on where do i find them as mine atm have the water symbol on etc?

4. also need to know where best place to get "gun metal grey" silver grey paint from? as got to remove few scratches and need paint topup in small area aswell as the engine bay areas

hoping to try do all this week as i got an easy week and want to do something constructive but fairly cheap (saving for a deposit for own house is killing me with this website and all these mods lol)

1. Plenum off will take about an 45mins/hour tops, polishing will take literally hours and hours PM Tarmac I think he does polished exchange Plenums. Or find a local powder coater.

2. Sorry, don't know.

3. Tarmac and Ebay.

4. Paints4u.co.uk

:)

As per the headline "powder or polish", I decided to powder coat, couldnt be arsed to spend days prepping and polishing and then have to maintain the polish.

So decided on the powder way, £70 for the job done locally but you supply a plenum, any colour you like.

plenum004.jpg

Cheers Jeff

right ok so basically if i want to polish it i need to find a space of 2-3 days without using my car ... i think i will go for the polish cus it gives me something to do and then i can say its all me :)

ill be pm'ing tarmac once i get some money in :) and thanks ill go check halfords first if not get ordering on paints4u

thanks guys :)

and that powder coating does look really good but i just think maybe a nice polish plenum then gun metal enginve cover will go nicely for my colour car :)

As per the headline "powder or polish", I decided to powder coat, couldnt be arsed to spend days prepping and polishing and then have to maintain the polish.

So decided on the powder way, £70 for the job done locally but you supply a plenum, any colour you like.

plenum004.jpg

Cheers Jeff

Thats nice, did you have to sand the pklenum first?

Just a thought - if your using a drill attachment type polishing kit you will fook the bearings in your drill quite quickly as they dont like side pressure.

Maybe get a cheap mains drill from a DIY place?

Just thought I'd mention it :)

ahh yeye i my dad uses main drills for his engineering job so i can use his good drills that can take a good battering :) and if not it all goes under the business anyway and just buy new one :) thanks for mentioning that though :)

looks like im going to have to pull a sicky friday then that gives me long weekend to get it sorted :)

Your welcome if you got the kit all the better :thumbs:

and -

looks like im going to have to pull a sicky friday then that gives me long weekend to get it sorted :)

Love it :thumbs::lol:

Don't forget before and after pics ;)

just out of interest CMCK1, how long did it take them to powder coat it? as in how long where u without a car.

Cheers.

I bought a spare plenum for £55 and had that done first then sold mine for £60. The respray took a couple of days at a local place in Grantham, its powder sprayed the same way as your alloy wheels so actually in total taking the £5 difference off it came to £65 total.

If your car man is not busy you should get it done in a day, if you book it in with advanced notice.

Sorry just seen the other post above I didnt need to sand it they used a light grit for sand blasting with all the required bits covered up.

Cheers Jeff

I bought a spare plenum for £40 (though I had prices of £55 and £70 offered, too) and polished that - it took about 10 hours to get it to look like this:

post-5330-135011914336_thumb.jpg

I didn't think this was good enough so had it machine polished at a local plater, which cost me £35 for cash - if you really want to do it yourself be prepared to spend a long time doing it, or Tamac does exchange ones which I think are pretty competitive when you cost in well over the 10 hours of graft and scuffed knuckles

This is what it looked like after the machine polish (and in the car)

post-5330-135011914355_thumb.jpg

If I was doing it again . . . I'd probably go for the powder coated option, to be honest, get it done in a metallic gunmetal or something or colour match it to your car.

I bought a spare plenum for £40 (though I had prices of £55 and £70 offered, too) and polished that - it took about 10 hours to get it to look like this:

[attachment=1]Polished Plenum 10 hours.jpg[/attachment]

I didn't think this was good enough so had it machine polished at a local plater, which cost me £35 for cash - if you really want to do it yourself be prepared to spend a long time doing it, or Tamac does exchange ones which I think are pretty competitive when you cost in well over the 10 hours of graft and scuffed knuckles

This is what it looked like after the machine polish (and in the car)

[attachment=0]Machine polished plenum.jpg[/attachment]

If I was doing it again . . . I'd probably go for the powder coated option, to be honest, get it done in a metallic gunmetal or something or colour match it to your car.

And the last sentence is exactly what I was getting at :thumbs:

right after hearing 10 hours i already started googling powder coating sutton coldfield lol :) i also wanted to know do you have to do the lower plenum or just the upper part?

ye i might be tempted to have the same colour as car and then do the engine cover back up in black and make the writing stand out better etc lol so many choices i dont know what to do lol