Squeaky Brakes Advice (Please)

JMRolfe

Hello

I know this is on the forum quite a bit, I've searched through several times but cant seem to find a solution.

Basically, took my car to an independent for a service, the garage recommended I had new pads, after doing so, brakes started squeaking, only slightly at first but progressively getting worse and worse. After speaking to quite a few people I had basically come to the conclusion that the pads they fitted were not up to scratch.

As such I have since fitted Ferodo DS 2500, as they come highly recommended on here but annoyingly they too have started squeaking today. Can any one advise on a solution? I know some people talk about shims behind the pad but I am reluctant to pay £160-170 for titanium shims and you cant seem to buy standard ones in the UK?

Anyone have any guesses of the cause or solution? I've got an 06 plate with Brembo calipers if it makes a difference. I had no problems with the original pads that were on there...

Thanks

James

Thanks guys.

I'm on standard disks. I get the impression the garage ditched the old shims when they took the old pads out... Its difficult to get any sense / truth out of them. Other than the titanium ones I cant find where to buy replacement shims :wacko:

I found a US store selling them at $10 per set but refused to post outside the US.

I've not bedded the pads in? Mainly because when googling how I've been given three very different bits of advice:

1) was to avoid any form of heavy braking for the 1st 100miles.

2) Drive to 60kph, brake lightly down to 5 - 10 kph, repeat 5 times.

3) Dive at 60mph, brake heavily without locking the wheels down to 10mph, repeat 8 - 10 times???

As a result I've done 1) on the basis it doesn't directly contradict the others??

Ferodo pads have been on since Friday and I've covered about 45miles : (

Last set of pads were on for about 500miles before any noise and then, changed around 3,000 miles at which time they were screaming!

I've had all four corners changed. Its squeaking from both sides as you can hear the tones change as different ones kick in. I'm assuming is fronts but could be all??

Copper grease the daylights out of the back thats what i do looks like i got brembo coloured pads the amount i put on :lol: but never makes a sound

3rd procedure is best way and the way i did mine and they are spot on since, couldnt find a road to get to 60mph and slam my brakes on repeatedly so went to closed car park and done it from 30mph and just doubled the procedure (but watch your brake temps) dont let the car come to a stop so somewhere you can loop round is ideal.

maybe try nissan for the shims? or

:pmzmanalex:

yes finally got to use it :dance:

Ok, I’ll try option 3 then if everyone agrees? :wacko: not sure how I can tell if I’m overheating the breaks doing that?? I’ll do it late at night on a country road, that way should be a problem to do 60 - 10mph…

Alex - would have got the pads from you but 1) the garage insisted on ordering them themselves if they were to fit them on warrantee… and 2) Demon Tweaks offered them at £165.00 delivered and you quoted me £207.50 for the same.

I’ve called two Nissan dealers and both said the shims don’t come up on their parts list, one even said he opened a box of OEM pads and couldn’t see any included.

Alex, how much do you want for standard / replacement shims?

Should I fit these and copper grease before I bed them in?

Cheers

James

£207.50 must have been a typo :blush:

Send me over your address and I will send you over a set of front shims for free.

If you discover that there is no shims fitted to the rear then I would go back to the garage and complain. There should be two shims per pad on the rear. (total of 8 for the rear)

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex, fronts would be a good start!

I don’t expect to get them from you for free - Let me know your bank details and the cost of postage and I’ll transfer you the cost of postage + £10 - £15 so that you can get yourself some beers for the effort :D

I’ll PM you may address…

Cheers Alex, fronts would be a good start!

I don’t expect to get them from you for free - Let me know your bank details and the cost of postage and I’ll transfer you the cost of postage + £10 - £15 so that you can get yourself some beers for the effort :D

I’ll PM you may address…

James,

PM received:

Shipping today, eta tomoZ.

On the house mate, no charge.

Alex :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for the set of front shims, although this did help unfortunately it is the back that is making most of the noise…

Could you let me know how much you want for a set of standard rear shims delivered please?

Cheers for all the help - as always, much appreciated.

James

Definately the shims missing. When I fitted the ferrodo pads a few months back I reused the original shims of the stock pads. I also used some copper slip. The brakes have never squeeked at all.

It sounds like the garage wasnt really sure what they were doing, or the shims were already missing. Copper slip may help a bit, but its really the shims you need.

Looks like your new shims have fixed the problem on the front, you just need to get the rears sorted now!

On a seperate note, squeeking brakes dont always mean you need new pads. My mate was convinced he needed some new pads last week and ran out & bought some. But, upon taking his wheels off the old pads were fine. I just blew all the crap out from around the pads / calipers with an airline and cleaned them all up, and problem solved. Saved himself a good few quid.

Hi Alex

Thanks very much for the set of front shims, although this did help unfortunately it is the back that is making most of the noise…

Could you let me know how much you want for a set of standard rear shims delivered please?

Cheers for all the help - as always, much appreciated.

James

James,

There are 8 shims for the rear mate, do you require them all?

Yes I’ll be needing all 8 for the back :(

The garage took them off and cleaned them all up on two occasions as they were convinced it was a combination of build up of dust etc / not enough copper slip too… they were squeaking again by the time I’d got home…

They claim to have also taken apart and cleaned the handbrake pads too (apparently these are separate??)

Cheers for the advice tho :thumbs:

Cheers

James

Yes I’ll be needing all 8 for the back :(

The garage took them off and cleaned them all up on two occasions as they were convinced it was a combination of build up of dust etc / not enough copper slip too… they were squeaking again by the time I’d got home…

They claim to have also taken apart and cleaned the handbrake pads too (apparently these are separate??)

Cheers for the advice tho :thumbs:

Cheers

James

The front shims that I previously sent you free of charge were preowned.

Do you want new or preowned for the rear?