Normal Unleaded or Super Unleaded?

Jayp350z

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did google my closest Tesco as well yesterday...its about 2.5 miles away, is the supermarket fuel really that bad then?

Well as said before, lots of tests show that Tesco99/momentum is as good if not better than Shell optimax/Vpower. Regarding the cleanliness of tanks, I would think that varies alot whether its a supermarket or a shell/BP garage. I assume its down to the individual manages to sort that so you could also get dirtier Shell tanks.

I drive a 20 mile round trip to get my petrol (tesco 99/Momentum) because I won't put 95 in. I used tesco 99 in my Jap import( meant to use 100 octane) 375bhp Supra for 6 years and done over 60k hard miles on an engine that had done 150k miles and never had a problem. I'm more than happy to use it in My S/C Zed. :)

The joys of rural Wales.

My round trip for V Power is 34 mile,that is if I can resist tuning left a Pentrefoelas on the way back :teeth:;) then it's 45 ish.

Next nearest 48 then 50 then 56.

I have to go an almighty 3 miles to get my Tesco fuel. That up on 2 miles when I used to live with the old dear :lol:

Decisions decisions, 5 mile round trip fro Vmax and rip off prices or 22 miles for Momentum at a reasonably good price and Club Card points?? :shrug: Ideally I'd go to the nearer Tesco as it's usually cheaper and only 14 miles but the front lip catches on the ramp on the way out :bang::bang:

I take the opportunity after washing/drying the car to take it for the spin to clear the excess water and discs and usually that will be via the nearest Tesco garage to top up with monmentum.

Only use the 95 when locations (Scotland mainly) mean no higher rating is available - done that with all 3 ZEDs :shrug:

Graham - the Horsham Tesco's does not have that lip bashing issue, and at least its a decent part of the A24 from you to :drive1;)

That's the one that's a 22 mile round trip :)

I take the opportunity after washing/drying the car to take it for the spin to clear the excess water and discs and usually that will be via the nearest Tesco garage to top up with monmentum.

Only use the 95 when locations (Scotland mainly) mean no higher rating is available - done that with all 3 ZEDs :shrug:

Graham - the Horsham Tesco's does not have that lip bashing issue, and at least its a decent part of the A24 from you to :drive1;)

Totally changing the subject just realised from your signature Sam that you're on my office wall! :lol:

I want to say, why not have him on your office desk, but guess I better give me a :slap: for having such a thought :teeth::surrender:

:scare::scare::scare::scare::surrender::surrender:

:p

Colin gets worse as he gets older ................ :wacko:

Totally changing the subject just realised from your signature Sam that you're on my office wall! :lol:

I want to say, why not have him on your office desk, but guess I better give me a :slap: for having such a thought :teeth::surrender:

:scare::scare::scare::scare::surrender::surrender:

:p

Still better than been on the toilet wall though! :lol:

Decisions decisions, 5 mile round trip fro Vmax and rip off prices or 22 miles for Momentum at a reasonably good price and Club Card points?? :shrug: Ideally I'd go to the nearer Tesco as it's usually cheaper and only 14 miles but the front lip catches on the ramp on the way out :bang::bang:

Take some 2x4 with you to put on the ramp :thumbs:

I wonder if you can get a roof rack for the Zed? Hush my mouth :blush::thumbdown:

Take some 2x4 with you to put on the ramp :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention what differences I have found since swapping to super unleaded for anyone who has not yet tried it.

I ran my tank down to 5 litres of normal unleaded then brimmed it with tesco momentum. At first the engine seemed VERY jerky and the transmission noises became louder! :scare: So I done an ecu reset the next morning and now the engine runs smoother than ever and I'm getting hardly any transmission noise at all :D

The average mpg seems to have gone up slightly too.

I haven't noticed any increase in performance but the car just seems soooo much happier with super.

I'll have to try v power next so see if there's any further improvement...

You'll be hard pushed to notice the difference between 95RON and 99RON TBH, as the engine is just running as it should on 99RON. When you would notice the difference is if you then went back to 95RON :surrender: Once you have super in theres no way you will notice the difference between Tesco or any other derivative of Super, apart from perhaps an 1-2MPG difference, but that will more likely be down to the weather (cold weather = lower MPG) or how you drive the days you have it in there.

The most important thing is now you are running Super, you shouldnt be getting det which is far better for the engine :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Wondering the same thing, I thought I'd do as scientific test as I could muster.

I logged my fuel consumption to work (13.6miles) 10 times on Tesco 95, and after a few tanks of Tesco 99 I logged 10 journeys on that fuel too. (this journey is mostly dual carriageway so predominantly constant speed and throttle).

Tesco 95 Results:

Average speed of 10 journeys: 51.16mph

Average fuel consumption of 10 journeys: 32.9mpg

Tesco 99 Results:

Average speed of 10 journeys: 51.13mph

Average fuel consumption of 10 journeys: 32.6mpg

So you can see that on a very good statistical sample, the difference is within experimental error. From this I would also infer that there is no (or little) power improvement. Any difference between fuels is not great enough for the ECU to significantly adjust ignition timing and run more efficiently, so power is also unlikely to increase. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's done faithful back-to-back rolling road tests and compared fuels, although rolling road tests obviously come with a pinch of salt.

The problem now is that due to constant knock the engines are starting to fail.

This has been an ongoing discussion with a member who had 2 engines fail. Abbey also posted knock graphs to show what is happening.

Wondering the same thing, I thought I'd do as scientific test as I could muster.

I logged my fuel consumption to work (13.6miles) 10 times on Tesco 95, and after a few tanks of Tesco 99 I logged 10 journeys on that fuel too. (this journey is mostly dual carriageway so predominantly constant speed and throttle).

Tesco 95 Results:

Average speed of 10 journeys: 51.16mph

Average fuel consumption of 10 journeys: 32.9mpg

Tesco 99 Results:

Average speed of 10 journeys: 51.13mph

Average fuel consumption of 10 journeys: 32.6mpg

So you can see that on a very good statistical sample, the difference is within experimental error. From this I would also infer that there is no (or little) power improvement. Any difference between fuels is not great enough for the ECU to significantly adjust ignition timing and run more efficiently, so power is also unlikely to increase. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's done faithful back-to-back rolling road tests and compared fuels, although rolling road tests obviously come with a pinch of salt.