Does anyone want to race a 350Z?

Motorsport

I was considering going in with a mate to get a 944 to track prep and do a bit of amateur motorsport a while back, and the reason that died was that at the end of the day neither of us really wanted to end up with a 944. A zed on the other hand would be very interesting, much more expensive, but i think much more rewarding as well. I'll watch this with interest.

DB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to race a 350z, but would have to give up evreything else as the costs would be high. If I was going to race anything, probably would be a Westfield with a Pinto engine in it. Bags of spare parts at a good price :thumbs:

This series would make for superb viewing :thumbs:

350Z's would be great to watch on track - especially in the wet if the tyres have given their best. It would be good to see cars performing in stock guise too.

My car's a daily hack so I can't enter that but I'd be more than happy to steer someone else's car to victory :lol::#1:

If the question is would I like to race a 350Z, then damn straight I would, yes :thumbs:

If the question is would it make a good single-make racecar, I can think of better, all of the MR2's, Pug GTI's, S2K's as a starter. Remember 350 parts are hideaously expensive and the cars are pretty heavy, Id definitely rather be pedalling an S2000 for instance. :)

S2000 for instance. :)

You not brought any parts for a S2000 then?

Not engine parts, funnily enough ;)

They cant be more than 350's, surely, unless they are actually made of solid gold :wacko:

Either way, its abtter track car than a Zed, I think it would be more fun to drive and watch. :)

What rough costs are you looking at to get your race license, get the zed modded to race standards and entry fee's to a series like this?

Also, what about insurance?

15-20k minimum by the time you've done your ARDS and stripped the car out, seam welded, clutch, total suspension and brake upgrade, tyres.... then testing time on a track plus costs of each meet plus the 'consumables' each time - totally out of the question for the majority of us without any sponsorship :dry:

But for those that can it would be fantastic fun opportunity :thumbs:

Yep, shared ownership looks to be the way forward with this if it was to go ahead. I reckon two or three committed parties and a bit of sponsorship on top should make this affordable for those who wanted to give it a go (such as me). But that's possibly getting ahead of the game a bit as this is still nowhere near happening.

DB

Nowhere near £20K. £250 for your ARDs, £5K for a Cat-D Zed, £200 for pads, £1K tops for suspension, £1500 - £2000 for cage & extinguisher & cutoffs, £500 for seat & harness, and then whatever you want to spend on safety gear but around £400 is doable for the minimum. Under £10K for a competitive car, sorted. :)

That said, you have to be prepared to write off the cost of the car if you bin it, plus body damage at each race, & the entry fees, tyres and timing bits at each race. That's where the costs quickly add up.

A lot of time/money is in labour for stripping the car down and fitting the safety stuff i think for a fairly boggo car ekona is closer than vik in terms of cost but id reiterate what ekona said about costs spiralling.

Id love to see this happen and get involved :)

I just looked up the weight of the standard car. Is 1820 kg about right? We did run a fleet of 350Zs at PalmerSport some years ago, so we're going revisit the stats we have on those.

Weight varies, depending on year and spec. The oldest ones are the lightest and get heavier with each new variation, 2008-to early 2009 being the heaviest hardtop (roadsters are the heaviest). Jap import ones might be marginally lighter again as spec'ing is different again.

Lol, could tell you exactly the weights of the ones in NZ, but then I think UK ones have a tiny bit more weight with the different spec. 1467kgs, for my 2004 NZ Touring spec. Not much use though. :lol:

A lot of time/money is in labour for stripping the car down and fitting the safety stuff i think for a fairly boggo car ekona is closer than vik in terms of cost but id reiterate what ekona said about costs spiralling.

Id love to see this happen and get involved :)

:lol: neither of you have read what I wrote then - as the most experienced motorsport participant in this discussion you well know the true costs of undertaking such a project - of course the parts come to less than £10k :wacko: you'll spend the same on labour again unless you have sponsorship

Dan - find me somewhere where you can simply go sit your ARDS for £250 with no prep time :thumbs:

I was simply highlighting the true cost in answer to Liam's question - don't get me wrong - with adequate backing and motivated participants this is a great idea :thumbs:

Dan - find me somewhere where you can simply go sit your ARDS for £250 with no prep time :thumbs:

Take your pick of dates from here ;)

Prep time is down to the individual, some will need none and some will never get there, so it's impossible to quantify. You will also need the Go Racing pack from the MSA though of course, which is another £59.