The Apple Thread

Ekona

Seeing as there is obviously quite a large number of Apple fans on this board, it might be a good idea to try and keep all the Apple-related stuff in the one place. :)

So, anyone got any ideas/rumours/insights as to whether Apple are sticking with the 12mth plan for iPads, or going to 18mth as per the phones? Not sure I want to wait too much longer for the iPad3...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess Siri will be how Apple will drive things forward now. It'll be interesting to see if Android follow suit, or whether they condemn it as the gimmick that I think it is.

That said, would it make more sense for a tablet device to use it when you're not likely to be out and about than a phone?

What improvements can they make over the iPad 2? Can only be an upgrade in processor or a better camera, and would the these out way the price of a 3... if and when it comes out :shrug:

The only thing i can see being improved is the rentiner display on the 3.

*edit* Oh and apparently apple bought 200-300 glass machines to make curved glass (to minimise glare) so maybe a slight design change?

I would seriously recommend (if you can) buy a 3G model and then get a rolling contract. I have a 3 sim and fair play, it's awesome. Almost always have 3G and for £15 a month, I get 10gb of data! :thumbs:

What improvements can they make over the iPad 2? Can only be an upgrade in processor or a better camera, and would the these out way the price of a 3... if and when it comes out :shrug:

I would seriously recommend (if you can) buy a 3G model and then get a rolling contract. I have a 3 sim and fair play, it's awesome. Almost always have 3G and for £15 a month, I get 10gb of data! :thumbs:

I imagine that some kind of retina display will be next up. The problem with that is it would make it well over full HD resolution (if you scaled the iphone screen to size) which would make the processing power required rather large and also overkill. I would think something close to a full HD resolution will be next though.

I imagine that some kind of retina display will be next up. The problem with that is it would make it well over full HD resolution (if you scaled the iphone screen to size) which would make the processing power required rather large and also overkill. I would think something close to a full HD resolution will be next though.

But can't you get (jailbroken) software that allows you to view an iPhone app at x2 without any pixillation? Surly if they upgraded the processor to say....(theoretically speaking) to quad core, it would run an iPad sized retina?

Dont know the achitecture of the ipad/iphone massively well, but I'm sure the graphics processing will be done on a dedicated chip rather than the A5 processor? In theory you are right, they could make it all more powerful - but that will drain the battery quicker and produce more heat which would have to be managed. At over full HD res, you'd have to ask why. I think they will aim for full 1080 HD res next so they can support movies. It wasnt long ago that PCs struggled to handle that res :lol:

Dont know the achitecture of the ipad/iphone massively well, but I'm sure the graphics processing will be done on a dedicated chip rather than the A5 processor? In theory you are right, they could make it all more powerful - but that will drain the battery quicker and produce more heat which would have to be managed. At over full HD res, you'd have to ask why. I think they will aim for full 1080 HD res next so they can support movies. It wasnt long ago that PCs struggled to handle that res :lol:

Its interesting you should say that because I was having a discussion yesterday with my brother about the "GPU" in the iPhone 4s. He said that it has to use a GPU but after quite a bit of searching, it looks like it hasn't and it uses the A5 for all the work! If anyone can shed light on this, I would be very grateful! :lol:

Turns out we're both right the A4/5 arent a CPU, but a package on a package which stacks the CPU and GPU together in what looks like a processor ;) Either way it will need to be massively powerful to handle above full HD resolutions.

Wikipedia:

The Apple A5 is a package on package (PoP) system-on-a-chip (SoC) designed by Apple and manufactured by Samsung[1] to replace the Apple A4. The chip commercially debuted with the release of Apple's iPad 2 tablet, and also powers the iPhone 4S. (This is consistent with how Apple debuted the A4 chip: first in the original iPad, followed by the iPhone 4, and then the iPod touch 4th generation.[2])

The A5 contains a rendition of chip based upon the dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore CPU[3] with NEON SIMD accelerator and a dual core PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU.[4]

Apple need to sort their servers out.....

Updating to IOS5 has been throwing up massive errors at the point where it connects to Apple due to overloading.

I had to do a full factory reset and restore on my iphone after the update failed :dry: Took 2 hours. :thumbdown:

I'm going through the same sh!t!! except, i am only half way through my ipad update.....still have my iphone to do!! :surrender:

My iPhone4 bricked itself for a while, but it sorted itself out and is back up and syncing via WiFi as we speak :thumbs:

I'm surprised that Apple's servers held on as well as they did/have, there's a hell of a lot of people trying to update their iDevices right now.

Think the iOS 5 issues are due to apple servers been v busy!!

Try tomoro should go through okay :thumbs:

I know that. It shouldn't happen though should it.

They know exactly how many people have their devices (and where they are and what they're doing :dry: ) so they should have sufficient server capacity.

It's done now, but i've had to sit there all night restoring it, and i lost all my folder structure for my apps.

Cack. :dry:

This is why you pay a massive premium for Apple stuff so things like this don't happen!!!

Not amused. :thumbdown:

Maybe they should make people pay to update a day early, i am sure millions would pay up just to tweet or whatever that they have ios5 :snack:

I plugged in ealier and the server timed out, a minor annoyance by life is still conplete and i will sleep tonight without any problem...

I think there are a few worse things to worry about in the world than why 10million people cant all update their iPhone at the same time :lol:

Edit : this is also why i never go and see a film i have been waiting for the first weekend :lol:

They know exactly how many people have their devices (and where they are and what they're doing :dry: ) so they should have sufficient server capacity.

True, but if you're Apple you can either spend another $10M on some more server space for one day, or just accept that the early adopters (myself included!) are just going to have a little whinge for an hour or so and then start raving about how good iOS5 is, and when the dust settles 24 hours in no-one will have an issue at all. It's sound business sense, and I can totally understand their point of view.

True, but if you're Apple you can either spend another $10M on some more server space for one day, or just accept that the early adopters (myself included!) are just going to have a little whinge for an hour or so and then start raving about how good iOS5 is, and when the dust settles 24 hours in no-one will have an issue at all. It's sound business sense, and I can totally understand their point of view.

The problems was Apple let far too many people onto the server at once. They dont need the server capacity to handle everyone at once. but they need some kind of quality of service set up on it and limit connections so those that are connected get a good experienece. If it said when you started "We're sorry the servers are busy, try again later", and then when you are on it you can download at a decent rate then thats fine. The problem I found yesterday is I did the iPad at about 6:15pm and it flew through. I tried the iPhone after that, when the servers were then obviously loaded, and it took me a further 2hrs to download. Thats just @*!# server configuration I'm afraid. They should stress test the servers, decide on a cap on the number of connections and when the reach it dont let more people on.

Needless to say both my iPad (1) and iPhone (3GS) both went through without a hitch once it got past the point it required the Apple servers. :thumbs:

I don't know how accurate this is as I'm no expert but a friend of mine who is responsible for IT security for the company he works for is concerned more for the resultant instructions they will have to give employees. For example, you attend a company conference or presentation and next years business plan is shown on a whiteboard, you photograph it on your iPhone and the cloud "pushes" it to all your other devices, potentially you have just made confidential corporate information "available" to all the usual types who like to hack that stuff!!

Another example is what we've all done at some point I guess, you work all day at the office on some critical/important project and want to finish it at home at the weekend, you take the company laptop home or you email it to yourself via a company secure server, or you copy it to a memory stick, all very old fashioned it seems, but wait!!!! Now you can put it on your cloud and, again, it's "out there". As I said, I'm no expert but my pals inference was that he's more concerned about policing that kind of activity than he his with regard to the actual "cloud" security itself.

In a way this reminds me of the recent banking scandal, those people responsible for corporate profits pushed and pushed the boundaries until the whole thing came tumbling down, all the while assuring Joe Public that everything was ok. Are the IT comapnies now going down the same path, recent and ongoing events at RIM (Blackberry) have to be a cause for concern. I use a Mac email address for my business and in June next year that will migrate to the iCloud, I have to decide what I want to do.

I'd also love to know what some of you more literate IT guys think about Bullet's questions, thanks for reading my ramblings :)

I'm not so sure about iCloud.

How secure is personal data?

Is anything kept on the users local machine?

How much can the iCloud see of the machine it's installed onto?

Anybody got any answers?

It's as secure as any other cloud service, which means anywhere between 'incredibly' and 'not at all'. If you trust cloud computing then it's great, if you don't then there's no need to use it and you can turn it off. It should be safer than most as Apple have the technical ability to make it that way, but then we all said that about Sony too.

iCloud shouldn't see any more of the machine than it needs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. Tbh if you're one of the tinfoil hat brigade then you probably won't ever feel comfortable using iCloud, but for the rest of us at the moment it sits somewhere between handy and novelty. Only time will tell if it can become essential, I guess.

It's as secure as any other cloud service, which means anywhere between 'incredibly' and 'not at all'. If you trust cloud computing then it's great, if you don't then there's no need to use it and you can turn it off. It should be safer than most as Apple have the technical ability to make it that way, but then we all said that about Sony too.

iCloud shouldn't see any more of the machine than it needs, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. Tbh if you're one of the tinfoil hat brigade then you probably won't ever feel comfortable using iCloud, but for the rest of us at the moment it sits somewhere between handy and novelty. Only time will tell if it can become essential, I guess.

Plus iCloud has been around for years - its just MobileMe rebranded ;) Cloud should be more than safe enough, its the people using it that need to be careful with what they do with it. Just please dont rely on it as your only backup solution :surrender: