Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies :(

Adrian@TORQEN

1. Demoing the Apple Mac in 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0FtgZNOD44

2. The almost bankrupt at the time Apple Computer make a temporary deal with Bill Gates & Microsoft in 1997

3. Introducing the very first iMac in 1998

4. Introducing the very first iPod

5. Introducing the first ever iPod Nano at the Apple Music Special Event in 2005

6. Announcing the new iPhone in 2007

7. Introduces the new notebook lineup of Apple - a new MacBook and the 24" display in 2008

8. An emotional appearance at Applefest in 2009

9. Unveiling the iPad in 2010

10. Despite being on medical leave, Jobs steps back into the spotlight to show off the 2nd generation iPad in 2011

Following the news that Steve Jobs has died, a number of his contemporaries and some of the most powerful and influential people in the world have commented on his passing, including Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, Disney President Bob Iger, and U.S. President Barack Obama.

Bill Gates

"I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely."

Bob Iger

"Steve Jobs was a great friend as well as a trusted advisor. His legacy will extend far beyond the products he created or the businesses he built. It will be the millions of people he inspired, the lives he changed, and the culture he defined.

Steve was such an ‘original,’ with a thoroughly creative, imaginative mind that defined an era. Despite all he accomplished, it feels like he was just getting started.

With his passing the world has lost a rare original, Disney has lost a member of our family, and I have lost a great friend.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Laurene and his children during this difficult time."

Barack Obama

Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators - brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet's most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity. By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun. And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve's success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve's wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt

"Steve Jobs is the most successful CEO in the U.S. of the last 25 years. He uniquely combined an artists touch and an engineers vision to build an extraordinary company.. one of the greatest American leaders in history."

Michael Dell

"Today the world lost a visionary leader, the technology industry lost an iconic legend and I lost a friend and fellow founder,†said Michael Dell, chief executive and founder of Dell Inc., the big computer maker. “The legacy of Steve Jobs will be remembered for generations to come. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to the Apple team."

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

"Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend. Thanks for showing that what you build can change the world. I will miss you."

Former Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz

"It’s the ultimate sadness. First of all, it’s a young person who was revered, sometimes feared, but always revered. In a way, it’s kind of prophetic; everyone was hoping he could be on stage yesterday†during Apple’s iPhone announcement. "He was a very special person, and he didn’t get to where he was by having people like him all the time. He got to where he was because he had a vision and a purpose. It’s easy to try and please everyone, but he kept to his principles."

California Gov. Jerry Brown

"Steve Jobs was a great California innovator who demonstrated what a totally independent and creative mind can accomplish. Few people have made such a powerful and elegant imprint on our lives. Anne and I wish to express our deepest sympathy to Steve’s wife, Laurene, and their entire family."

Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Steve lived the California Dream every day of his life and he changed the world and inspired all of us."

Whether you are pro or anti apple no one can argue that Jobs was hugely successful in helping to build an uber-brand. He brought great products to market which were usually class leaders, as such he should be celebrated - it's no exageration to say that the world is poorer for his death. I'm still not buying an iphone :ninja:

The most amazing thing about the company that he built was that he could have quite literally branded excrement as the iPoop and it would have been a great sales success.

I bet you that every CEO of every consumer product led company in the world will have wished they were him at one point! I think he'll be an example of what you can achieve with marketing and building a brand and his sucesses will be studied by many for years to come.

My neighbor, Steve Jobs, has been in the news lately. The talk of the town is the recent announcement he will be stepping aside to let other seeds grow at Apple. The business press, the general press, the blogosphere, and just about everybody else has waxed poetic about the “greatest CEO of all time†saying that this “boy wonder†has shaped the very nature of our lives with his genius.

It’s all true, but here in Palo Alto, Steve Jobs isn’t just an icon, he’s also the guy who lives down the street.

I first met Steve (does anyone call him Mr. Jobs anymore?) years ago at a backyard pool party. I was so flummoxed by the off chance I was breathing in his DNA, I could barely say a word. I am sure I made a winning first impression as I stumbled over my own name when we were introduced.

I watched as he swam in the pool with his son. He seemed like a regular guy, a good dad having fun with his kids.

The next time I met him was when our children attended school together. He sat in on back-to-school night listening to the teacher drone on about the value of education (wait, isn’t he one of those high-tech gods who didn’t even graduate from college?) while the rest of us sat around pretending having Steve Jobs in the room was totally normal.

Not long after, I saw Steve as I was running in our neighborhood. He was deep in conversation with a younger version of himself—his very own mini-me in jeans, black T-shirt, and wire-rimmed glasses. I must have looked like an idiot as I tripped over a crack in the pavement trying to give them wide berth.

It was at Halloween not long after when I realized he actually knew my name (yes, my name!). He and his wife put on a darn scary haunted house (to be specific, a haunted garden). He was sitting on the walkway, dressed like Frankenstein. As I walked by with my son, Steve smiled and said, “Hi Lisen.†My son thought I was the coolest mom in town when he realized The Steve Jobs knew me.

Thanks for the coolness points, Steve.

From then on, when I saw him holding his executive meetings in our neighborhood, I didn’t hesitate to smile and say hi. Steve always returned the favor, proving he may be a genius, but he is also a good neighbor.

In time, things changed. The walks were less frequent, the gait slower, the smile not so ready. Earlier this year, when I saw Steve and his wife walking down our street holding hands, I knew something was different. Now, so does the rest of the world.

While Newsweek and the Wall Street Journal and CNET continue to drone on about the impact of the Steve Jobs era, I won’t be pondering the MacBook Air I write on or the iPhone I talk on. I will think of the day I saw him at his son’s high school graduation. There Steve stood, tears streaming down his cheeks, his smile wide and proud, as his son received his diploma and walked on into his own bright future, leaving behind a good man and a good father who can be sure of the rightness of this, perhaps his most important legacy of all.

Never been a huge Apple fan (enough sheeple out there already), but you cannot underestimate the huge positive effect his creations have had on the technological world. Above all, he was a family man - someone's son, someone's father, someone's husband, and more of a great loss to them than anyone else.

I worry about some of the macolytes though, some of them do take things a bit far!

Nevermind I will go back into my box :p

Yes, please do. Or perhaps you'd like to carry on PM'ing some of the other users on here about my posts as you've done before? And yet, of course, it's the mods that want to cause arguments, isn't it?

I don't see any harm in discussing how Jobs will be remembered in this thread as long as it is kept respectful. I don't think LRH was coming on too strong really, and I was hoping to guide the discussion in a way that would be constructive for us all to see just what Jobs did for the world over the course of his life. I don't actually see how that could be a bad thing, really.

It would be a shame if egos spoilt this thread - it's a good opportunity to reflect on how Job's influenced technology and to a great extent, the way it influences how we live.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone

I love how back in Feb 2005 Alan Sugar said "by next Christmas the Ipod will be dead, finished, gone, kaput".

How very wrong he was.

Whether Jobs was the sole inventor of these Apple products, or just a great driving force behind such a wide reaching company, there is no denying that whether you love or hate apple products, without them the world would be very different. It's inspired people to make things better and differently than before. Companies competing with Apple strive to make their products accepted as being better than the "i-whatever", and whether they succeed in that or not, without Apple as the competition, progress on many things could have been much slower than it was/is.

A sad day for his family and friends, and Im sure his legacy will live on in the company he founded. Not many people get to leave that much behind for the world, so he has certainly had an impact on this planet.

Edited by me.

The most amazing thing about the company that he built was that he could have quite literally branded excrement as the iPoop and it would have been a great sales success.

I bet you that every CEO of every consumer product led company in the world will have wished they were him at one point! I think he'll be an example of what you can achieve with marketing and building a brand and his sucesses will be studied by many for years to come.

+1

Not personally a fan of Apple or it's products but you have to respect an achievement like that, rip.

Totally agree. Regardless of whether you are an Apple fan or not, there is no denying what the guy achieved and I see him as probably one of the best marketing people there have ever been. How he took existing gadgets and technology, rebranded them and introduced them to the man on the street.

Take the ipod for example. There were already loads of mp3 players out there, which people could drop music onto using windows explorer. But in the main most people i knew outside of my computer mates had no idea what an mp3 was. Jobs came up with the idea of having itunes where you could buy music and store it, and rebranded the mp3 player into the ipod. Having white headphones was a fantastic idea as everyone could "see" you had an ipod instantly. The ad campaign for the ipod was huge - now every man on the street could have their music, the "new" walkman even - and it became the mega trendy must have item. Sheer brilliant marketing which has continued through the iphone and ipad.

I really struggle to think of another brand where whatever they produce becomes the "must have" item, where people have such brand loyalty that they will rush out and buy the new version of the product as soon as its released - regardless of whether technically its the best, or whether its the best value for money.

I certainly had a lot of respect for the guy and take my hat off to him.

Massive massive fan of Apple products...

I practically run my business through my Iphone so was pretty gutted when I heard the news..

Petty squabbles aside..

The man was an inspirational visionary genius and earns his place in the history books.

A true fighter who despite his x amount of money in the bank kept on working when he could have jacked it all in...

Just goes to show, you only get one life so make it count cos when your numbers up all the money in the world won't save you...

R I P Steve

I was never an apple fan, but then I got an iPhone 18 months ago and havent looked back.

No denying the guy was a visionary, and he drove the development of menia in the 21st century.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple developments slow down in the coming years now.

Condolances to family and friends.

It would be a shame if egos spoilt this thread - it's a good opportunity to reflect on how Job's influenced technology and to a great extent, the way it influences how we live.

Agreed!

Sent from my iPhone

I agree.

RIP Steve Jobs, like him or hate him he was a true innovator and for that I respect him.

Sent from my HTC ;)

Why would you hate someone that brought so many to the world I don't know.

I'm typing from my MacBook Pro, I work on it and I developed several business from my MacBook Pro 17", I communicate using iPhone 4, I listen music in my ZED connecting the iPhone to the Pioneer HU, my daughter is using an iPad and from my point of view she's very well developed for 4yo, partially because of that. Wife uses MacBook 13" and iPhone 4, mum uses MacBook Pro 15" and iPhone 3GS and the list goes on...

OK, you don't like the products, but why hate him? And the worse part, why today? Have you met him? How well do you know him?

HATE is a big word...

The man was/is a legend! I am genuinely gutted about his passing away. His products have been in my life for the past 6 years and I have nothing but praise for them. I'm typing this on my iPad, I work on my iMac (previously a MacBook pro) and I use my iPhone to communicate and listen to my music. I choose these products over others because (in the words of Steve Jobs) "it just works" and they do.....very very well!

You will be missed.