what colour is my car???

John tarantula

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be that the previous owner simply wanted that plate on there for whatever reason? But yeah seems a little odd still...but hell if you are not going to have it reposessed and it makes you smile, then enjoy!

Just keep all your paperwork in good order so if it comes sale time again you can demonstrate it is a straight car! :thumbs:

check your battery terminals if thats on the wrong way to UK its probably an import

but strange your tax is the same as mine and mines an import and i do remember someone saying somewhere about the different startings of the chassis numbers indicate where its from mines z33 too i think il go check in a bit

yeah I'm probably worrying for nothing as its the most I've ever paid for a car! I enjoy it and can't think of any reason why it could 'not' be mine so will enjoy!

jumping, which was round are UK terminals? has a new halfords battery so should be UK unless the connectors have been streched over. let me know what your import VIN starts with. Maybe the plot will thicken even more!

:snack:

Here’s the info from the DVLA website, it also shows that the road tax bracket is less than a UK car of that age, it should be...

The vehicle details for RL52 TMY are:

Date of First Registration 05 12 2005

Year of Manufacture 2003

CO2 Emissions 0g/Km

The details above are similar to my own car which is an imported one. Registered 2007 manufactured 2003. It still has to have a plate on that says it's a 2003 car but was first registered in the UK 2007. Also the Co2 says 0g/km which was the thing that meant when tax went sky high on cars registered after 2006 we weren't charged the higher rate. What's the story with it being exported and then imported? It's obviously got something to do with that hence the 2005 date it came back to the UK. It still shouldn't have a 52 plate on it though if it's a UK car so it could simply be a paperwork balls up and it's been issued the wrong plate when it came back in the country. I once bought a car that I HPI'd and it came back as a totally different car! Turned out when it was registered brand new they had put PNX on the plate instead of PNK because they had misread someone's handwriting! The last owner had effectively been driving a car with fake plates on for 2 years and never noticed his tax disc and log book said different! It would bug me - I would need to get to the bottom of it.

My vin starts Z33

You really do need to find out because ultimately if you come to sell and it should be on a 53 plate it will make a difference to a picky person.

One thing is for sure - it has been imported into the UK from somewhere in 2005 which is why it says registered 2005. If it had been 'bubble wrapped' until 2005 it would have a 2005 plate on it regardless of manufacture. Which is why sometimes you see cars with later plates on which are the earlier non bonnet bulge version.

Maybe it has been in Jersey or somewhere else where they drive on our side and imported from there? Maybe is Australian!! :lol:

The VIN on my first (2004) ZED was:

JN1GAA233U0006697.

That was, without question, a UK car.

The fact the VIN plate on yours starts Z33, and noting what Nixy says about hers, suggests it might be an import but it has all the looks of a UK car :wacko:

Wiki says production of the 350s started in August 2002 and I'm sure we have seen members on here with '52 plated UK cars :surrender:

But given the 'first registration' was not until 2005, in your case makes me wonder whether it was exported somewhere else first off - I recall we had a strange one a few years back with one that had originated from Cyprus which r/h drive :shrug:

I seem to remember reading that all the press cars - (demonstrators for journalists) were imports - so you may find it was one of the press cars used as a demonstrator etc and mothballed between launch and 2005 :thumbs:

That would mean they couldn't take it on the road though as not registered until 2005. Very odd........

Very strange. It seems that the car shows up ok on hpi's and insurance checks so should be ok. I think my logbook shows silver too and mine's a GM.

Two things strike me from the photo's though.....

1. There are some gash stickers on the dashboard that need to be removed sharpish :lol:

2. The ESP and headlamp wash on my car (UK) are the other way around.

I wouldn't worry about the bonnet/bumper shutline though, a lot of 350Z's have a reasonable (or unreasonable!) gap there, it's quite prone to moving a bit after meeting with kerbs.

Mines Z33 as i suspected , negative terminal is on the left hand side i wouldnt have thought you can stretch the leads the other way round.

But your stickers are same as mine

Also on the underside of your bonnet inbetween were the strenghtening bit is are there any stickers there?(though this may have gone if it has been resprayed.)

Im sure z33 = import as i done loads of research prior to mine and thats what i was looking for when buying and actually came across a UK fake JDM was really nice and gave no sign of import until i quizzed about few things i saw on forum and chassis number.....its all coming back to me now :lol: oddly the guy never rang me back and took it off PH

hhaha nothing wrong with Redneck stickers (joke stickers from a holiday last year in the South)

mine may well be an import or half an import or something else! hence me thinking it was a UK car that had been exported and then reimported from elsewhere? doesn't expalin the JDM VIN though?

someone may have made a balls up somewhere, maybe the lovely DVLA or previous owners moons ago. rest is all kosher so will be a mystery car!

will have a check of terminals and stickers later to confuse myself further!

and yes think it will be confusing by the time i sell it, though by that time petrol might be so expensive / these cars so cheap that the buyer won't care about history as it will have to be sold for dirt cheap anyway... :blink:

I seem to remember reading that all the press cars - (demonstrators for journalists) were imports - so you may find it was one of the press cars used as a demonstrator etc and mothballed between launch and 2005 :thumbs:

Journo car would have been my first thought too. Sometimes Journo cars are only used on the track, so it's quite plausible.

ps. John may not be aware that the lighter and brighter colour 350's don't have the best paint match between the plastic and metal panels. IE, the A pillar cover, the sills, nose and back bumper are all plastic.

It still shouldn't have a 52 plate on it though if it's a UK car

Makes perfect sense for it to go back onto a 52 plate.

If the only evidence available to the DVLA was that it was made in 2003 then they would stick it on the oldest 2003 plate possible, which was 52 (1st Sep 2002 - 28th Feb 2003).

They're all Z33's just as the previous 300ZX was the Z32 and the 370Z is the Z34.

It still shouldn't have a 52 plate on it though if it's a UK car

Makes perfect sense for it to go back onto a 52 plate.

If the only evidence available to the DVLA was that it was made in 2003 then they would stick it on the oldest 2003 plate possible, which was 52 (1st Sep 2002 - 28th Feb 2003).

They're all Z33's just as the previous 300ZX was the Z32 and the 370Z is the Z34.

Why wouldn't the DVLA go by the year and month as that info is available? Maybe they are the people to phone up and ask?