am i being too fussy?

zedbeat

If the trader knew that damage was going to be caused by removing the spoiler then he should have automatically included the repair of said damge in his quote. Any trader worth his salt, would NOT hand a car back with damage to the car like that and then ask another £100 to repair the damage :surrender:

If the trader knew that damage was going to be caused by removing the spoiler then he should have automatically included the repair of said damge in his quote. Any trader worth his salt, would NOT hand a car back with damage to the car like that and then ask another £100 to repair the damage :surrender:

+1 They should have given you a price to include the full repair after explaining that it will cause damage to surrounding areas. If they know what their doing they wouldn't have given you a price for just the spoiler after clearly being aware of the damage it will cause. Just seems a bit pointless to me to do half a job for someone and expect them to be happy. Depending on the original price you paid assuming it didn't include repairing surrounding areas £100 is cheap to get it fixes but I would expect the spoiler to be resprayed aswell because the finish isn't good at all and you paid originally for it to be done properly.

To be honest mate, regardless of what you paid (IMO, that doesn't make any difference), they shouldn't have returned the car to you looking like that, thats shocking! Even more so they shouldn't have said they'll repair it for £100, that makes things even worse!!!

I'll keep an eye on this thread and make sure I don't use the company once their details are posted.

Totally agree, and if they could see the damage after removal of the original spoiler, which is a pig to remove, why didn't they ring you and ask you to come in and see it.

That would then have been the point for negotiation, as far as the finish on the new spoiler, copy or not if it needed more prep, then once again, whats wrong with a phone call.

Every business has glitches shall we say. It's how you deal with your customers and put things right. Everone hears about 1 bad job but nobody hears about all the good ones.

Looks like everyones on your side mate. Has the trader come up with a better solution? I think the only solution acceptable would be free repair or a refund

Have they seen this thread? If they have seen this thread and not tried to put it right then name and shame

Looks like everyones on your side mate. Has the trader come up with a better solution? I think the only solution acceptable would be free repair or a refund

Have they seen this thread? If they have seen this thread and not tried to put it right then name and shame

I suspect this won't be resolved till next week now with the bank holiday.

I would expect the trader to fix damage they caused free of charge, and as the other blemishes were probably either a lack of prep or poor technique, then they should probably suck that up too.

If this wasn't a cash in the hand job, you definitely have the right to have it resolved to your satisfaction.

Keep us informed.

If this wasn't a cash in the hand job, you definitely have the right to have it resolved to your satisfaction.

This is why I wanted the traders view. If it was done on the cheap cash in hand then they may have an excuse. As it is it looks like a reasonable price was paid, so personally I'd expect it to be put right FOC.

Irrespective of what price you pay for a job you should always exspect the best job possible,when someone gives you a price for a job they dont say '£225 for a crap job' then' £300' for a brilliant job,then leave you to choose the standard you want.Incidentally i work in quality control for an engineering company so do know what to look for as regarding quality work.

Irrespective of what price you pay for a job you should always exspect the best job possible,when someone gives you a price for a job they dont say '£225 for a crap job' then' £300' for a brilliant job,then leave you to choose the standard you want.Incidentally i work in quality control for an engineering company so do know what to look for as regarding quality work.

100% correct.

No matter what you pay for a job to be done, it should be a given that that job is carried out without causing further damage to the car.

This is why I wanted the traders view. If it was done on the cheap cash in hand then they may have an excuse. As it is it looks like a reasonable price was paid, so personally I'd expect it to be put right FOC.

Discounts for 'cash in hand' doesn't mean 'rate for sub-standard job' it means that the trader doesn't pay tax and the customer enjoys a slice of that cake. Not strictly legal but we all know that's how it works. Anyway, cash in hand or not the paint-job looks pretty shoddy to me and I wouldn't be spending another penny to have it corrected. The correct course of action is to demand the work is put right FOC or threaten to expose the trader in order to prevent similar distress to other car owners :shrug:

Painting plastic can be tricky but you`d expect an experienced bodyshop to do a good job of it. Personally I think the money you paid was about the going rate, and the fact its a non genuine spoiler is neither here nor there. It should still have been prepped and painted correctly.

The scratches on the bootlid, as others have said will be from the original spoiler and ideally you`d need to get those touched up or maybe the whole bootlid repainted to hide them. Unless the bodyshop said they would include that in the original estimate then you`ll have to sort them out seperately.

Discounts for 'cash in hand' doesn't mean 'rate for sub-standard job' it means that the trader doesn't pay tax and the customer enjoys a slice of that cake. Not strictly legal but we all know that's how it works. Anyway, cash in hand or not the paint-job looks pretty shoddy to me and I wouldn't be spending another penny to have it corrected. The correct course of action is to demand the work is put right FOC or threaten to expose the trader in order to prevent similar distress to other car owners :shrug:

Yes but if this was done for a pint or two by a mate of the trader instead of their proper paint shop then they would have an excuse. As it stands though, it looks like a fair price was charged so it would be reasonable to expect a decent finish which is not the case.

Still waiting for the traders view either here or by PM. Are they aware of this thread or that the issue is being aired on the forum?