am i being too fussy?

zedbeat

So I recently paid for a nismo style spoiler to be painted and fitted, when I collected my car the guy at the bodyshop pointed out a couple of things to me, first of all the deep, very visible 2" scratch which was left on the car from removing the old spoiler, apart from this there are about four or five other nicks, also there is a very slight dent which is about 6" long and you can clearly see this follows the outline of the old lip spoiler(I don't know if this dent was caused somehow by the old spoiler or because it was levered off), the guy also pointed out that he did tell me that the old spoiler would not come off completely mark free, however I did not expect to be left with such visible marks. I have since returned to the bodyshop to see if he would repair the damage but he refused and again pointed out that he did tell me that it would not come off mark free. Now since showing a few people my new mod they have pointed out numerous other things with it....

1. The main wing has about 6 tiny pin prick dents in it.

2. The base of the spoiler has a fair amount of Orange peel over it, where as the main wing is perfectly smooth and shiney.

3. The base also has a 2-3" crack in the paint, its not in a very noticeable place and you can't feel it as it has been covered with laquer.

4. The base of the spoiler fits ok but two plastic washers stick out by about 1mm just on the ridge of the boot just above the Nissan badge(which I personally would have sanded an edge off so they did not stick out).

5. There are two small grooves on the spoiler which had excess filler in them which should have been sanded down and they have not been sanded but just painted over.

Now I do want to point out that the spoiler was a cheap replica, but it was shown to the bodyshop before a price was agreed and they were more than happy to take the work on.

Now here's the awkward part, the bodyshop is a very highly rated trader on this forum and I don't want to be the person to ruin this reputation(not that I am suggesting that I am going to ruin it but if people find out who it is they might not take their car there)but I'm just not sure that I have received the same quality work that most other people have. Also what is a fair price for prepping and painting a spoiler and removing the old one, I don't particularly think what I paid was a cheap price however if I had been charged an extra 40 pounds for a perfect job I would have paid it) and in no way did I hint for a cheaper cash in hand job.

What I want to know is, am I being too fussy or am I right to be unhappy about the work? Are my expectations too high as the things I have spoken about are only noticeable when you are upclose and after all it was me that stinged out on the cheaper spoiler. More importantly, what would you do? I just feel a little more care could have been used when taking the old one off and a little more prep on the spoiler before it was painted. All feedback appreciated.

You don't agree a price and then accept a shoddy job, the price agreed is for a professional job. However, if it had been me I think I would have walked away the moment he said the old spoiler won't come off "mark free", or at very least asked for and explanation and cost for correction. The fact that you bought a replica spoiler in no way excuses shoddy workmanship which t sounds as if you may have. I had a replica Nismo spoiler fitted to my car last year and the overall finish was blemish free and certainly no cracks of scratches, it sounds to me as if someone not fully skilled or who couldn't be bothered worked on your vehicle. If it is as you say then they should correct the errors at their cost.

Ok I am going to post some pics in a moment, but would also like to point out that I stupidly paid for the work when I took the car in as I fully trusted the person who recently has carried out excellent mechanical work on my car and many of your cars too and as I said before is highly recommended on this forum.

Ok first up are the scratches either side of the spoiler, the blemished paint around the scratches were caused by me and t-cut.

picsay-1314461672.jpg

picsay-1314461706.jpg

The pin prick marks

picsay-1314461928.jpg

The dent from arrow to arrow

picsay-1314462030.jpg

The cracked paint

picsay-1314462121.jpg

The orange peel

picsay-1314462243.jpg

The missed prep in the grooves

picsay-1314462317.jpg

picsay-1314462386.jpg

The only thing I can't show is the plastic washer sticking out, because I have stuck a temp piece of vinyl over to hide them.

If this is the case and you clearly know the trader I do find it a bit strange that you have only posted twice on the forum, if you have a problem then air it, if you are hiding behind a new alias then I would ask why? If I'm way off the mark then I apologise unreservedly. :)

Ok I am going to post some pics in a moment, but would also like to point out that I stupidly paid for the work when I took the car in as I fully trusted the person who recently has carried out excellent mechanical work on my car and many of your cars too and as I said before is highly recommended on this forum.

Yes I am a member under another name. I just don't want people guessing who has done the work. I have never had any mods done on my car before and I don't want to accuse anyone of shoddy workmanship if the general feeling on the forum is that A: its my fault for buying a replica spoiler or B: that the things if have mentioned are not considered as bad as I think they are. So for now I would like to remain anonymous if that's ok with you Glrnet!

If this is the case and you clearly know the trader I do find it a bit strange that you have only posted twice on the forum, if you have a problem then air it, if you are hiding behind a new alias then I would ask why? If I'm way off the mark then I apologise unreservedly. :)

+1 - please feel free to contact the team if you feel this is a problem. FYI we can see which users post from which IP's and the software does report when multiple users post from the same internet address, so I can see the truth (not going to reveal it though as the OP doesnt want to)

I would make the trader aware of this thread and give them right to reply.

IMO I would want it fixed, thats not what I would expect. But also it depends on how much you paid and what you agreed to. Please lets not try and turn this into a witch hunt until we have both sides of the story.

+1 - please feel free to contact the team if you feel this is a problem. FYI we can see which users post from which IP's and the software does report when multiple users post from the same internet address, so I can see the truth (not going to reveal it though as the OP doesnt want to)

I would make the trader aware of this thread and give them right to reply.

IMO I would want it fixed, thats not what I would expect. But also it depends on how much you paid and what you agreed to.

This is why I wanted to know how much a job like this may roughly cost, prices are rarely mentioned on this forum and I did not know how much it should be, although I know I paid more than 1 member I have asked.

IMO I would want it fixed, thats not what I would expect. But also it depends on how much you paid and what you agreed to. Please lets not try and turn this into a witch hunt until we have both sides of the story.

+1

I would not be happy with the work and would go back to the trader and sort out an amicable outcome :thumbs:

Shoddy paintwork on the spoiler although arguably you cant hold the trader responsible for what's left after your old spoiler comes off however it should really have been sorted or at least mentioned before attaching the new spoiler unless you knew and didn't want it doing.

simple answer is take it back and say you aren't happy, crap spoiler or not the prep has been poorly done, its obvious. it could just be one of those jobs that didnt turn out right though so give the trader ample opportunity to sort it out!

Thanks for your honesty mate, I wouldn't be happy with that either, hope you and the trader can get it sorted amicably. The trouble with all this is that you have a problem and are trying to gather opinion from the forum regarding a trader who you clearly hold in some regard. As others have said there are two sides to every story and the trader should have an opportunity to have their say too.

Yes I am a member under another name. I just don't want people guessing who has done the work. I have never had any mods done on my car before and I don't want to accuse anyone of shoddy workmanship if the general feeling on the forum is that A: its my fault for buying a replica spoiler or B: that the things if have mentioned are not considered as bad as I think they are. So for now I would like to remain anonymous if that's ok with you Glrnet!

Absolutely agree with Chris and DoogyRev.

I am sure that a mutually agreable solution is possible and if i am correct from what I have read on your OP you would be happy to contribute to this.

Well, I have been back to the person about 3 days after it was done and he said he would repair the scratches on the boot and smooth the dent for 100 pounds, I tried haggling and got told that was a very good price for the repair,however I did not mention the Orange peel or the cracked paint as it was other people that pointed out these things to me after this conversation and like I said they are not that noticeable, after all who ever looks under the wing of their spoiler. Am I an idiot if I pay another 100 pounds or is this an extremely good price?

Glrnet, I do have a respect for the trader otherwise I would have said straight away who it is and I honestly believe people would be shocked if I came out and said it right away. I am not on here to start a witch hunt or ruin a good reputation, I am after advice from people who know the score and can say either "stop moaning you fussy ba****d" or "you are having the p**s taken out of you".

The deep scratch would not have been caused by rubbing of the old spoiler over time (which I would class as a normal "mark" when removing a piece of trim after a period of time), the dent probably not either but you could argue that someone may have sat on it previously. The poor prep work would depend on whether they were asked to prep the spoiler first but you would at least expect them to ask.

It looks like they have made a pig's ear of removing the old spoiler and then not painted the new one properly (orange peel lacquer), you are well within your rights to ask them to put those bits right.

I don't believe I ever suggested you were trying to start a witch hunt or ruin a reputation buddy. At the end of the day if you think it's not right then you have to take it back. :)

I am sure that a mutually agreable solution is possible and if i am correct from what I have read on your OP you would be happy to contribute to this.

Well, I have been back to the person about 3 days after it was done and he said he would repair the scratches on the boot and smooth the dent for 100 pounds, I tried haggling and got told that was a very good price for the repair,however I did not mention the Orange peel or the cracked paint as it was other people that pointed out these things to me after this conversation and like I said they are not that noticeable, after all who ever looks under the wing of their spoiler. Am I an idiot if I pay another 100 pounds or is this an extremely good price?

Glrnet, I do have a respect for the trader otherwise I would have said straight away who it is and I honestly believe people would be shocked if I came out and said it right away. I am not on here to start a witch hunt or ruin a good reputation, I am after advice from people who know the score and can say either "stop moaning you fussy ba****d" or "you are having the p**s taken out of you".

I don't believe I ever suggested you were trying to start a witch hunt or ruin a reputation buddy. At the end of the day if you think it's not right then you have to take it back. :)

I never said you were suggesting that, I was just making clear that I was not doing that. :surrender:

So, does anybody have any feedback regarding the 100 pound deal I have been offered? Should I just pay the 100 pounds, mention the other bits that I'm not too happy with and be done with it?

I wouldn't be paying them £100 to fix that. Is the dent from levering off the spoiler with a screwdriver or something?

I can understand your concerns and would feel exactly the same. I also think u should be praised in how uv handled this- creating a new profile and showing pics which cannot let us identify ur car to protect the trader not urself. If I was the trader I would think, fair play the guys not been an arse and gone public, he's been very amicable il take this one on the chin and fix it

Let's hope that's the outcome :thumbs:

Erm, I have no idea who or where this trader is or if the damage that is apparent on your car is caused by "shoddy" workmanship or carelessness, but that is no way to return a car to anyone, regardless of whether it's a replica wing or not.

If the "tradesman" who did this job was honest and upfront re the possible outcome to replace the wing, then fair enough, you take your chances, if not then it's a very dissapointing lack of respect, to you firstly. and then to himself for trying to pass this job on as acceptable.

It's not acceptable to leave someone's car in this state, then try and charge a further £100 to rectify, that is just downright pis5 taking. As has been muted, if the "Trader" is reputable, then I'm sure he will put it right, if at fault. If not at fault his side of the story would be useful.

Either way, there are aspects of this that would make me steer clear of this particular "Trader". I would not accept a job like this, nor sir, would I have paid upfront for a job, a deposit maybe, although I've never had to do this before on a small job, of this size.

I sincerely hope that both parties come to an amicable solution :thumbs:

Yes the old lip spoiler is a B********D to get off.

Similar happend to another member and in view of that I took mine off myself. To take it off without scratches and grit marks took me 2 hours.

I would suggest they have leaverd it off,and also suspect that was done to the other members car.

You are not being too fussy, you did not pay for your car to look worse.

The trader should correct it to your satisfaction.

A couple of pics to think about. (these are of mine when I removed it)

PA080005Medium.jpg

PA080002Medium.jpg

PA080008Medium.jpg

PA080013Medium.jpg

I think you have handled this very diplomatically with due consideration for the trader concerned but if I was you I would not be happy with the job and I would be asking them to fix it and I certainly wouldnt be paying them extra to do that.

Then again I don't know the details or the price paid for the original job.

Hope you get it all sorted.

the orange peel and the pin pricks would drive me mad.....

I would want it to done again and done perfectly....although depending on the amount on the original price I may cut the trader some slack...

If it was a really cheap job, then it's a bit tough really. Whilst I don't condone a badly done job just because it was really cheap, I would like the use the example of the tv programme Cowboy builders. Many times the people get ripped off as they've opted for a cheap as chips builder and thought they would get the most amazing extension for a pittance and as a result. They often get one half built...