It's really not Steve's day (Samsung content)

Ekona

First off Mr Jobs quits as Apple boss, and then I finally jump ship and purchase a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 because I'm fed up of not having Flash support on my iPad. Sorry Steve!

It's currently sat next to me having it's first charge, and then I'm going to have a play. I've always been a staunch Apple fan because all their stuff is incredibly well built and works an absolute treat, but whilst I can live with my iPhone not doing the web properly because it does everything else so awesomely, I'm using a tablet at home more and more as my main interweb surfing thing so I've splashed out. Never used anything Android-related before and tbh whenever I've played with one in a shop it's felt a bit cheap and poorly constructed compared with iOS, but I'm sure my views will be changed once I get used to it. :)

You sellin the iPad? How much?

I don't know yet, I may see if the missus can make use of it in someway or if there's something particularly creative I can use it for.

Initial thoughts after literally 5 mins of use:

I miss being able to tap the top of the screen to scroll to the top instantly.

It's not as obvious where to click for various things.

Unlocking is irritating.

The social hub thing works quite well (when I can remember my passwords!).

Where's the option tab FFS??!! :angry:

*edit* Found the options. Eventually.

Flash is the spawn of the devil himself and should be burnt at the stake. I have never seen a site executed in Flash that I have thought couldnt have been done better in other technologies. Its slow, clunky and power intensive, all things that you dont want anywhere on a mobile device. Java was much the same for mobile devices and has all but died off in them now (J2ME). The more OEMs that get behind HTML5 the better, it will give sites a faster, sleeker and more stable experience.

Interesting to see how you get on and rate it Dan as I do like Samsung, have many TVs and laptops from them which have all been very stable and worked well.

I've never been a fan of apple, mainly because it's overpriced for what it is and you are paying for the style more than the substance. Also, the communist levels of control they place on everything from filetypes to apps and hardware distributors irks me.

Apple stuff was traditionally enineered towards creatives in the graphics industry but clever design and marketing over the last 10 years or so pulled the general public onto the bandwagon who, a) like 'nice looking' things and B) want hassle free ownership. To be fair, apple have done this extremely well, so it's good to finally see Android powered devices coming through which give it a run for it's money.

I'm currently fighting a losing battle with my better half to switch to HTC/Android for her next 'phone and also forget the default iPad 2 and go for an Android offering.....maybe I can bamboozle her with the flash argument ;)

Ekona, not sure if it's applicable but the iPad always looks good as a medium to present clients with images of previous jobs etc :thumbs:

Flash is the spawn of the devil himself and should be burnt at the stake. I have never seen a site executed in Flash that I have thought couldnt have been done better in other technologies. Its slow, clunky and power intensive, all things that you dont want anywhere on a mobile device. Java was much the same for mobile devices and has all but died off in them now (J2ME). The more OEMs that get behind HTML5 the better, it will give sites a faster, sleeker and more stable experience.

:lol: Not a fan then Chris?! :lol:

More updates! :D

The touch screen is still nowhere near as sensitive as the iPad. Boo.

I've accidentally deleted a contact from the thing after I synced with FB and now I can't get it back. Arse.

Browser seems a bit clunky. Can't put my finger on it.

Android store is fugly.

It's nice to hold, and the moving background is a nice touch.

Never jailbroken any iThing, I genuinely like how it works as it is bar the crippled browser. I wouldn't want to jailbreak it and lose the easy updating and working perfectly for everything else. I'm not as tech-savvy as I used to be and I CBA to faff around with stuff anymore, I just throw money at the problem instead! :lol::blush:

Did you have a look at the BB Playbook? The touchie-ness is very apple like, good menu layout, browser and screen quality and resolution :thumbs: The only bad thing is to get email on it you need to bluetooth it from your phone :bangin:

Really? That seems like a catastrophic error from RIM.

I saw the adverts and that was my original choice, but a few good friends of mine have gone from iPad to Galaxy 10.1 and they kinda convinced me it was the move to make. I'm very easily led like that.

Really? That seems like a catastrophic error from RIM.

+1 Dont know who came to that decision..... they should be fired :lol:

A lot of smartphones and tablets cross my palm with some management software we do, all androids get on my wick to be honest. can get on with them at all, the HP one was worth a look....... before they pulled the plug.

I still think that Apple are the market leaders, and will jump ahead again when iOS 5 is released. Had a look at a few of the beta versions and there are some neat new features.

:lol: Not a fan then Chris?! :lol:

I truely hate Flash with a vengence. Its plain crap - end of. Thats not because I love Apple, I dont really rate Apply that highly other than their interfaces (both physical and software). But Flash is just a pain in the bum. It served its purpose by doing things you couldnt in HTML/Javascript, but things have changed and its now just pap. Try watching BBC iPlayerHD. I cant get that to work on anyones PC/laptops I know, the Flash implementation is @*!# and just sends CPU through the roof. It uses H.264 which I can run on my PC - full 1080p - without it cracking more than a few percent CPU (because its all done in hardware). Stick it into Flash like BBC have done with iPlayer and it uses all software to decode and that means LOADS of CPU :rant: Its a true waste of space.

Oh and also for those saying they dont like locked down software/standards etc, what do you think of Google buying Motorola? How long before you see features in Andriod that are tuned purely to their hardware? Thats all Apple do. To get the best experience you have to tie hardware and software together. I have a good 5yrs expeience of coding with all things web, Java and another 5yrs+ of 3rd party software and have to say, those which are tied to specific hardware/OS run much much quicker and slicker. Apple take this to the extreme, but they then ensure that the user expeience isnt often a bad one.

That's partly why I've avoided Android up until now, as you get all this can't-run-program-X-because-you-need-Android-Butterfly-Squash-Table-4.6.7.88.1.Beta and that's no way to run things in this day and age IMHO. Google know this as well as anyone, and that's got to be a huge part of their logic behind the Motorola acquisition.

on a slightly different topic, HP are selling off their touchpads (tablets)

dixons were doing them for £89 (16gb) instead of £399 :scare::scare:

think they've sold out everywhere now tho :blush:

In true apple tradition I expect they are saving Flash for the iphone 5. They really do seem to be about 5 years behind the other phone manufactorers when it comes to features. Look at "facetime" - I had that about 8 years ago on my old Nokia. Nearly all other mobiles (apart from the iphone) have had it since and you can use it on 3g. On the iphone4, it only works on wireless but its pitched as a revolutionary new "feature".

Bit like the earlier iphone... oh you cant send MMS?! but ive been able to do that since 1998. So Apple release that as a "feature" in the iphone 3gs. Cant use bluetooth? Cant set mp3 ring tone? Battery only lasts half a day. Hmmm.. But it looks cute and has a touch screen so i have to rush out and buy one.

iphone 4 can video in HD? So?, my 3 year old Samsung i8910 did that!

I really cant wait to see what "new" features they pile into the iphone 5. Technology wise, the only thing they bought to the table originally was a nice smooth touch screen, back on the original iphone. At the time the main competitors screens were just not as smooth. But the other manufactorers soon caught up and left the iphone for dead. Apple cant just rely on their old technology and adding "new" features which are actually old hat. They surely must need to bring something else new to the table?

Still, every Apple addict I know simply rush out and buy the new Apple gadget as if they have been brainwashed, so maybe Apple dont actually have to do anything? Just re-package the iphone 4 in a new case, actually make it so it can make phone calls without dropping calls, and call it a new "feature", hey iphone5, a phone you can make calls on... thats new!

I still reckon the Apple marketing people are the best in the entire world. Who else can convience millions of people to rush out and buy an Reliant Robin but with a fancy bodykit on it. And they also make you pay for the previlage! Let me think, I can get a brand new Ferrari for free on a 25quid a month tarrif, or pay £100 for a Reliant "iphone" Robin on a 50quid a month tarrif.... I know, i`ll go for the Reliant "iphone" Robin! wtf!

What colours will the Reliant Robin come in and who is producing the bodykit?

Black or white, will be made in china. Wont do much but it will look nice and have apple logo on it.

Also, you cant use normal fuel, you have to use apple fuel which costs more.

It will only have 2 gears and no reverse. But they will release that as a Reliant "iphone" Robin S update in 6 months time.

Little late to the party there mate, I saw this reduction happen in the US over the weekend and didn't think anymore of it then heard they dropped the price here by the time I got wind of it they had sold out everywhere! I would have definitely grabbed one at £69 (what they were going for through HP) it would only be a matter of time before it's programmed to run Android and you technically have a great bit of kit for dirt cheap, apparently cost them around £180 just to make the things.

What colours will the Reliant Robin come in and who is producing the bodykit?

Black or white, will be made in china. Wont do much but it will look nice and have apple logo on it.

Also, you cant use normal fuel, you have to use apple fuel which costs more.

It will only have 2 gears and no reverse. But they will release that as a Reliant "iphone" Robin S update in 6 months time.

Sign me up B)

Little late to the party there mate, I saw this reduction happen in the US over the weekend and didn't think anymore of it then heard they dropped the price here by the time I got wind of it they had sold out everywhere! I would have definitely grabbed one at £69 (what they were going for through HP) it would only be a matter of time before it's programmed to run Android and you technically have a great bit of kit for dirt cheap, apparently cost them around £180 just to make the things.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to install Droid over WebOS, it's awesome apart from the minor lack of apps. I was going to buy the Touchpad when the Pre3 got released but missed out... got a Pre3 on order at least! Hopefully I can pick up a cheap TP on ebay when everyone who bought 10 of them realises they can't sell them all!

I've never been a fan of apple, mainly because it's overpriced for what it is and you are paying for the style more than the substance. Also, the communist levels of control they place on everything from filetypes to apps and hardware distributors irks me.

Apple stuff was traditionally enineered towards creatives in the graphics industry but clever design and marketing over the last 10 years or so pulled the general public onto the bandwagon who, a) like 'nice looking' things and B) want hassle free ownership. To be fair, apple have done this extremely well, so it's good to finally see Android powered devices coming through which give it a run for it's money.

I'm currently fighting a losing battle with my better half to switch to HTC/Android for her next 'phone and also forget the default iPad 2 and go for an Android offering.....maybe I can bamboozle her with the flash argument ;)

Ekona, not sure if it's applicable but the iPad always looks good as a medium to present clients with images of previous jobs etc :thumbs:

Pfffffft!! I genuinely don't understand why people are so anti-apple! Leeroy, style over substance!? :bangin: Have you ever used an iPad? I think you mean 'style WITH substance!

I've picked up almost every tablet there is and nothing feels as nice and user friendly with the quality the iPad delivers!

My MacBook Pro (and iPad wifi) was stolen last month so I bought an iMac and a iPad 3G. I can honestly say that I do not miss my MacBook pro in the slightest and that my iPad can do everything that I need when on the move! :thumbs:

[i've picked up almost every tablet there is and nothing feels as nice and user friendly with the quality the iPad delivers!

I don't think so, still no easy way to switch between apps, no true multitasking, no "just type" or "synergy", completely locked down, crappy (non existent) notifications, couldn't tether to your phone last time I checked, sms etc from your iPhone don't automatically show up on the iPad... looks like iOS 5 may fix a few of those issues though but it's still lacking a lot of features as Apple want to save some for the next pad in 12 months otherwise people won't upgrade!