Applying for a job...cv help

varley16

I'm looking at a job that is advertised, I'm currently a technician, and the job is assistant service manager. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, also my cv at the moment is ok if I'm applying for another tech job, but for this job it needs more. I need to get the point across that it's what I want to do, that despite my young age of 26, I'm more than capable of doing the job, also that I've not got any official experience in this job I have stepped up to carry out some of the duties required for this job.

If there is any management sort of people on here, or if you know all about writing a cv, then please pm me with some pointers, and if possible look over my cv once I have done.

I know, weird request, but it would be very much appreciated.

Might have been me? :blush:

I have read about 500+ CVs and have rewritten my own one about 50 times over the last few years. Am currently tidying my one up once again given my redundancy news last week!

If you want me to take a look drop me a PM and can take it from there.

Might have been me? :blush:

I have read about 500+ CVs and have rewritten my own one about 50 times over the last few years. Am currently tidying my one up once again given my redundancy news last week!

If you want me to take a look drop me a PM and can take it from there.

I did think it was you actualy, but was not 100% (tis an old age thing, for me that is :lol: )

As Lexx said, do a good covering letter... and if you can, tailor it for each job you apply for.

I also heard that a ONE page CV is best as it is more likely to be read. Although this might not be 100% accurate. :blush:

I would say, a good place to start is:

1. Write the CV according the to the job description, the employer is not looking for the best CV they are looking for the CV that best fits the job.

2. Most potential employers have mountains of CVs to get through, on average they read the first third of the first page or spend on average around 20 seconds when skimming through CVs - go in strong straight away, your best bits have to be in that first top half of the page - what differentiates you from the rest and makes it worthwhile reading through the rest of the CV?

3. Covering letters help, but don't just repeat whats in the CV, it should be focused on the job you are applying for - use it to better express relevant experience and interests that you cant fully express in the CV and say why you want the job.

4. When laying out your CV, think whether it is a skills or experience led job you are applying for. Check the job description, if they are asking for hundreds of qualifications then put them first, if they are asking after someone who has relevant experience then clearly you de-prioritize the skills further down the CV in favour of your experience - dont assume all CVs have to be written chronologically.

5. Always list achievements no matter how small, especially financial ones. Employers want to see business impacting outcomes of the responsibilities you take on. Did you manage to increase customer base by 10% through high levels of quality in your work, then say so, quote the numbers and say it loud. As much as skills and qualifications are great employers like to see individuals that can have real world positive business impact.

Some good advice on here, especially from coldel

As someone who recruits people for my companies, id have to ask why should an employee pick you if you have no experience in the service manager role. These days competition is very tough. My mate went for an IT engineer job last week and they had 120 applicants. So, employees will look at a CV and normally will shortlist people who have already done the job before or have experience in that role.

The only time they tend to go for someone who has less experience is if they are offering a very low salary for the role that they know experienced people will not accept. They then may go for someone who they can train up, pay them less and hope the person stays with them.

The first thing you need to do is to read the job spec very carefully, then go through your CV and reword everything to suit that job spec. Changing words or descriptions as to what your previous responsibilties were can make all the difference. Im not saying lie, but its all about how you word things.

Employees WILL question you on what you have put, so make sure you have already prepared what you are going to say in relation to what you have put on your CV.

As coldel says, i may get a pile of 30 CV`s for a job. I look through them and obviously dont want to spend hours reading pages of stuff, so I skip through. I look at recent experience. Does it match the job spec. Look through the persons previous roles. Try to picture what that person is like. Why do they want this job? Are they likely to be a long termer, or someone who just is desperate for any job and will leave once a better one comes up. I look at education, but only briefly. To me I dont care less if someone has been to uni or not, its all about their experience. Hobbies are always interesting and can tell you a lot about someone and if they will fit in with the rest of the team.

I tend to shortlist 5 people max for interviews, then drop that down to 1 or 2 for a second interview before making an offer. Once you get that interview, interviews are 80% about whether the interviewer actually likes you as a person, rather than your technical ability. You can normally tell straight away when you start talking to someone whether or not they are the one for the job. Thats not to say I agree with that, but in my experience its so true. Ive seen guys who were super experienced rejected in favour of non experienced girls with big chests, or someone who had the same hobbies as the manager who was recruiting.

I am known in my company as someone who likes to take a chance on someone, and often employee people who others may look by. In my last company i recruited a guy who looked like swampy and had dreadlocks. Everyone was shocked, but my judge of character paid off as he was one of the best programmers we ever had.

spelling is important

check your title ;)

Job titles are worth tweaking a bit too. If you are a technician and want to be a assistant service manager, maybe put your current job title as "service technician".... focus on the service area. Also use the word manage a lot, make it seem you are managing areas or projects, or responsible for this that and the other. Maybe when your manager went on holiday you were "in charge", maybe in fact you are already seen as an assistant service manager in your current role with some of your responsibilities etc...

To the above who have offered to help I will get in touch as soon as I can.... Toby can you pm me contact details and times you are available, and I will call you. Thanks.

Toby's mobile number is in his signature :thumbs:

spelling is important

check your title ;)

Yeah, cos I won't correct it next time! :blush:

You could sit nex to him as he types. :lol:

Dont underestimate hobbies - I think I only got my current job as they want an extra man for their annual 300+ mile charity bike ride :blush:

Dont be put off by the fact you dont have all the experience they want, its not everything, they want someone who is capable and that they can work with. Big up achievements you have made both inside and outside of work that are relevant to the role no matter how small (as above - covering for a boss that is on holiday or running a small team of people even if you arent technically their manager). Primarily they are looking for someone they will get on with and will fit into the team. Amanda's current employer wanted someone with 5yrs+ and she managed to get in with just 2.5yrs, but they were sold on what she'd done in the time. I've worked with enough idiots that have more than double my experience to know that experience isnt everything too.

• 4 weeks later...

URGENT HELP REQUIRED/ also theres a rant in here too.

First of all thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. secondly i didnt pm/ring the above people due to the fact i started a new job very recently, and wanted to keep with it as it seemed to be going well.

Unfortunatly one of the people i work with is making it very hard for me, singled me out in situations where im not doing anything wrong, and just doing what the others do that i work with.

Today is the final straw, being told "i can get you sacked" this person who clearly doesnt like me for whatever reason is determined to get me gone.

Its made me so angry right now, ive been working non stop for the last 10 years, as soon as i left school, i knew what i wanted to do, got on with it, and never done anything wrong, im very good at my job, i always do it right and im very quick once i get to know the product im working on. I just dont know what this guys problem is. With my contract i get a 3 month period where they can basically get rid if they want to, ive now been there for about 1.5-2 months, and with a mortgage etc, its frightening.

ive always heard stories of this kind of situation, but always thought it would never happen to me...looks like it has.

Anyway, as ive probably stated somewhere i am a vehicle technician, but im so keen to progress out of the workshop, i couldnt describe how keen i am, its something that i want to do because i actually think i have the knowledge and skills to do it, i see people climb the ladder because all they want is easy money and a company car, although that would be nice, im happy with my wage and im happy paying for my own car, and some people may not believe me when i say the perks of the jobs i want to do dont interest me in the slightest.

Ill try not sound big headed but its hard to get my points across on a forum without sounding like i am especially with the next part.

Where i began my apprentership, i was very lucky, i was trained with someone that worked hard, knew what he was doing, worked his breaks, and efficiency was a priority, as i was trained with this guy, i did the same, only 6 months in i was working by myself even diagnosing, by the end of my time, i was a senior tech, i was lucky as people left there jobs to go elsewhere, and this forced the company to rely heavily on me, this boosted my skills, but unfortunalty im a victim of my own success, when i tried to get out of the workshop i wasnt allowed.

At first i went for service advisor which is a pay cut, but i had seen others go from there to service manager, and thats where i want to be.

I have seen a job for workshop controller which im more than happy to apply for, but my CV is for a techs job.

So my request is.....can i send my CV to anyone who could help me ASAP, as after today, i need to act quickly, im not asking someone to change it for me, but to give me pointers/bullet points at what i should add so i can apply for a job that i have no experince for, but very keen to do.

Thanks.

It's all about customising your CV to the job you're applying for. You say you're skilled as a tech but want to go for workshop controller, so what skills does a workshop controller need? Ability to prioritise works, ordering stuff, keeping staff productive etc (I'm only guessing here, you'll know more than me) so give examples on your CV of where you've already done similar in your work history. You probably do most of it anyway if you're that good, you just don't realise it because it's second nature.

It's all about customising your CV to the job you're applying for. You say you're skilled as a tech but want to go for workshop controller, so what skills does a workshop controller need? Ability to prioritise works, ordering stuff, keeping staff productive etc (I'm only guessing here, you'll know more than me) so give examples on your CV of where you've already done similar in your work history. You probably do most of it anyway if you're that good, you just don't realise it because it's second nature.

This. Get the job spec and see what skills they are after. Keeps sections on qualifications short if they arent after them and give more space for examples where you have shown the traits they are looking for and jobs a good un :thumbs:

Also dont think the examples have to be from work. I use my scubadiving quite often as an example as I am a qualified rescue diver. As part of that I had to work under pressure, manage people, prioritise work etc. This can also be a good talking point in interviews - they want to see that you have a life outside work as thats where a lot of "out the box" thinking comes from. This was brought up when I interviewed for my current job as I sent them my contractor CV which doesnt have interests and hobbies on it and they asked me if I didnt have any and why I didnt include them.

Spot on. Only you can tailor your experience on your CV. We can give advice on presentation or wording, but not experience.

First things first though, it sounds like you are a victim of workplace bullying. Ive had it myself twice. First thing you need to do is to make a note of everything this guy says and does which is threatening towards you. Speak to your HR if you can asap so they are aware of it. Then, if they do sack you, you can take them to a tribunal.

I had it happen to me twice in a row! I joined a small company and for some reason the CEO took an instant dislike to me. She was a fat lazy old cow who actually had no idea how to run the business and was just milking it for her retirement fund. The company kept making loss after loss and all the investors wanted to know what was going on. Rather then resign, she took it upon herself to sack all the senior managers one by one, trying to blame them for her failures. Anyone who knew their stuff was sacked. And anyone who was non-threatening to her position like inexperienced managers she kept. She worked her way around all the directors until she came to me. Id done an excellent job, so we was unable to find any reason to sack me. So then she went the "we are restructuring, making some redundancies and your position is no longer needed" approach.

Luckily I found another job quickly and moved elsewhere. But, the other managers she sacked, some of them took her to a tribunal and won unfair dismissal against the company. The company actually went bust 6 months later due to the CEO`s mis-management.

Spot on. Only you can tailor your experience on your CV. We can give advice on presentation or wording, but not experience.

First things first though, it sounds like you are a victim of workplace bullying. Ive had it myself twice. First thing you need to do is to make a note of everything this guy says and does which is threatening towards you. Speak to your HR if you can asap so they are aware of it. Then, if they do sack you, you can take them to a tribunal.

I had it happen to me twice in a row! I joined a small company and for some reason the CEO took an instant dislike to me. She was a fat lazy old cow who actually had no idea how to run the business and was just milking it for her retirement fund. The company kept making loss after loss and all the investors wanted to know what was going on. Rather then resign, she took it upon herself to sack all the senior managers one by one, trying to blame them for her failures. Anyone who knew their stuff was sacked. And anyone who was non-threatening to her position like inexperienced managers she kept. She worked her way around all the directors until she came to me. Id done an excellent job, so we was unable to find any reason to sack me. So then she went the "we are restructuring, making some redundancies and your position is no longer needed" approach.

Luckily I found another job quickly and moved elsewhere. But, the other managers she sacked, some of them took her to a tribunal and won unfair dismissal against the company. The company actually went bust 6 months later due to the CEO`s mis-management.

Mate I feel for you. I have been in the motor trade for more years than I care to remember.

The overall problem with it is that, the Industry moves on and spends money training the staff to a good level, but the owners don’t. They stagnate, and when you come up with something better, they get there pants in a bunch.

I had the same thing a few years ago. I was head hunted (good), never saw the boss (better), did a good job turning around a failing business in to a very credible one. Then one day, one of my guys screwed something up (not that badly I might add) and he was fired, then I was fired for not firing him, and trying to hold a proper investigation first (i.e. how the Law dictates) I took them to court and won over £11k in damages which was OK, but most of that went to my solicitor. More importantly it devastated my confidence and TBH I never really recovered.

My advice is always have one eye on the bigger better deal, the minute you think you are on side, they will drop you like a hot potatoe. Do what right for you, the days of staff loyally are long gone in our industry

:angry:

More importantly it devastated my confidence and TBH I never really recovered.

My advice is always have one eye on the bigger better deal, the minute you think you are on side, they will drop you like a hot potatoe. Do what right for you, the days of staff loyally are long gone in our industry

:angry:

Your right it does knock your confidence. After I managed to escape from the evil CEO, the company I went to had head hunted me and created a position for me. The company was in dire straits and I spent 8 months fixing it, did an excellent job if i may say so. My boss asked me to do a 12month plan, so i did. After which his attitude to me changed, and he kept picking holes in my work but couldnt find any. In the end he told me outright he was going to sack me. I spoke to HR and they went mad as you cant just say that, but sure enough they then went through a 2 month made up "redundancy" process to get rid of me. I then found out that my boss had done the same with the person who had my job before me. He sacked her purely because he didnt like her. I managed to meet up with her and gave her a statement which helped her in court win a tribunal against the company.

I never bothered pursuing that avenue myself as I just fell into a depression as my GF had left me and moved out of our house litterally 4 weeks before I also lost my job. It took me a long time to get my confidence back up, but the thing to remember is that its not your fault, its just other people who are insecure.

So the OP needs to keep his head high, get that CV sorted and look elsewhere. In the meantime, keep records and dont rise to the other peoples bullying.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry forgot to reply to this, thanks for all the help. Coldel has been amazing and created an awesome CV for me, so can thank the bloke enough, but i find it amazing for someone to take the time to do that for me, and everyone else on this site, so big thumbs up to 350Z club!

BUT, the time has come again where ive spotted another opportunity, that is nearly perfect for me, its with a manufacturer and company that ive had 9 years experience with but as a tech, not the same dealer but one nearby, its for a service managers job.

So is there any service managers on here that i can talk to about there day to day tasks, what the CV should include for this role and so on.

very much appreciated!