It's only a 350z....

kevlo

Dont think its justification, more like observations, don't think anything anyone has said is untrue? Not sure what your point is like Kevlo said.

For the record, I detailed my engine bay also today...an old couple, probably in their 80s stopped by and commented, I ended up chatting for a good 30 minutes about cars over the years - of which I can comment in an informed way having come from a family whose jobs are all around cars and have been for decades. Glad I have neighbours like that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people who are referring to the value of the car are missing the point. You can pick up a decent zed for 6k these days, which I suspect most people could afford if they really wanted one. But that's the point, they don't, because its a impractical, noisy car that isn't cheap to run, and most people wouldn't have the bottle to buy one. Being a petrol head, I say kudos to anyone that chooses to buy anything a bit left field in this sterile world of euro boxes. Doesn't matter if it cost 100 quid or 100 grand.

........... I say kudos to anyone that chooses to buy anything a bit left field in this sterile world of euro boxes. Doesn't matter if it cost 100 quid or 100 grand.

+ Lots

You would be surprised at the number of people who cannot afford £6k straight up on a car...given the average wage of the country is something like £27k, I would have to disagree with you on this one captain, that the majority do not have that sort of money in this day and age to spend on a car - petrolhead or not.

You would be surprised at the number of people who cannot afford £6k straight up on a car...given the average wage of the country is something like £27k, I would have to disagree with you on this one captain, that the majority do not have that sort of money in this day and age to spend on a car - petrolhead or not.

I agree with you, but most people could get a 6k loan, not that I think its a good idea, but a lot of people do it.

I AM CAPTAIN....... :rant::rant::rant:

I AM NOT SENSIBLE...... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I have only just bought my car and they are fantastic.

Don't fret what others think.

I also ride a Suzuki GSX 1400. I get told to buy a real bike. If you know bikes, they don't come much realer!

Ignore them, we know what we own, don't worry about what others think.

I got chased by 2 boy racers in a Fiesta ST the other night. When I dropper her into second and pulled away, I saw their jaws drop. Childish, but Priceless!

Ian

I know I'm only 30 but I've had the emense pleasure of driving multiples of 'decent' cars > but never driven a 350 yet :( and trust me you get jealousy with everything you drive.

I worked for Audi so got a different Audi every couple of weeks and I ended up in an Audi A8 > nothing over the top fancy just a normal saloon style car although has a BIG price tag. Anyways I pulled up at a petrol station and was filling the bad boy up about £80 worth and while I was there this 40 year old guy pulled up in a Mondog put like a tenner in his car and as he walked past me said "it must be nice driving around in daddy's car". To say that I almost fell over laughing was an understatement. As he walked back past me I was still filling mine up I just replied "grow up" and the guy flipped I mean seriously

But I got that all of the time.

Nobody seems to comment on my shed though :/ they must not be that jealous of a ten year old Honda B)

Well with the incoming little un I am after a shed at the moment, might even go for something like a Nissan Tino just to 'keep it in the family' as it were :lol: Am looking forward to the anonymity to be honest!

I have to say that in the two months I've owned mine, it's been nothing but good.. (apart from an odd traffic incident that I wasn't expecting - :doh: involves trucks, dick head 4x4 driver and a traffic jam... but that story should be in a different thread)

When I first got it, we were late back and so came home in the dark. One of the neighbours said she was gobsmacked when she opened her door and saw it parked outside. Then the next day, our next door neighbour and their grandchildren gushed over excitedly about 350Z's in car driving games, and how its better than Audi TT's. Bless them, they now go around Z spotting apparently.

We're quite convivial in our street, so I've had a quite few chats with other neighbours, including gawping at the 3.5l V6 under the bonnet (he now has a pair of 3cylinder diesel Hyundais.. but had children, so had to get rid of his 'beloved' Hyundai coupe). :thumbs:

Best of all though, after I polished the exhaust pipes the other day, the 'lord of the manor builder type' at the top of the street felt the need to call in a mobile professional valet - his BMW is now spotless.. some kind arms race has broken out. A wave of car cleaning along the street has started... :teeth:

If you have great neighbours, lap it up..

If you have loser neighbours, just ignore them - drive past with a smug grin - they know, that you know, that they are jealous..

Best not antagonise them too much though - last thing you want is a key scratch down the gleaming paintwork..

Truth is, not everyone knows/cares about cars.

To people who don't know/care, it's just a Nissan, and a big one that only has two seats. It's expensive, it's loud, it's thirsty, and the boot isn't very big. To non-car people, it's actually not a very good car at all, especially to those who just use a car as an A-to-B device and need somewhere to put the kids and shopping. It's an unnecessary and flash expense in a world where money is tighter than it's ever been, and it's polluting the earth and killing trees. This is why people give disparaging remarks mostly, not because they're jealous or because they're arseholes, but because they don't feel the same way we do. It doesn't make them wrong (arguably they're correct on all counts!), it's just a difference of opinion. To turn around and start slagging them off and calling them stupid makes us just as bad.

We love the cars, it's our money we're spending, and that's all that matters.

To people who don't know/care, it's just a Nissan, and a big one that only has two seats. It's expensive, it's loud, it's thirsty, and the boot isn't very big. To non-car people, it's actually not a very good car at all, especially to those who just use a car as an A-to-B device and need somewhere to put the kids and shopping. It's an unnecessary and flash expense in a world where money is tighter than it's ever been, and it's polluting the earth and killing trees. This is why people give disparaging remarks mostly, not because they're jealous or because they're arseholes, but because they don't feel the same way we do. It doesn't make them wrong (arguably they're correct on all counts!), it's just a difference of opinion. To turn around and start slagging them off and calling them stupid makes us just as bad.

I agree with this entirely. People just dont get it if they are not in to it. Whatever "it" is. For example, Im 35 and I play MW2 twice a week and I often enjoy telling people that i do simply because I like their reactions and the pisstake that follows. But I love it enough to actually enjoy the abuse (although my wife doesn't exactly "lust for me" when Im wearing my over ear white headphone/headset and laughing and shouting at my PC). Secondly, its the same with the Zed. Im spending a small fortune on the car having it customised, repainted, upgraded etc.. not because it makes any sense (whatsoever), but because I love the car, i think its unique and I dont care what other people think of it (although it is nice when the occasional compliment arrives, even if it is from some idiot teenager). Same for you pal, you are out there cleaning it and detailing it because you love it, you love it for all the reasons you can think of and some you dont even know. So it really doesn't matter if the whole world disagrees with you, least of all a neighbour who you dont care about. You love the car, nobody should effect a change about what you like and dont like so SCREW them

i agree with the last bit definately but i still think he is knob for shouting what he did. At the end of the day i was minding my own business and not causing any noise/trouble or problem for him and he goes out of his way to **** me off.

i dont particularly like football but i wouldnt go out of my way to antagonise people who do like it. each to their own i say! I think he is a big fisherman as he has a load of fishing gear in his garden but i wouldnt dream of putting his hobby down. TBH i couldnt care less what he gets up to :shrug:

i agree with the last bit definately but i still think he is knob for shouting what he did. At the end of the day i was minding my own business and not causing any noise/trouble or problem for him and he goes out of his way to **** me off.

i dont particularly like football but i wouldnt go out of my way to antagonise people who do like it. each to their own i say! I think he is a big fisherman as he has a load of fishing gear in his garden but i wouldnt dream of putting his hobby down. TBH i couldnt care less what he gets up to :shrug:

I have to agree that its odd for someone to go out of their way to deliver a low jab at someone else who is clearly doing something they care about. People like that are not happy in my experience. You can sleep well tonight thinking of how miserable he must be.

PS Is his wife a "12 pinter"?

Its all relative surely, driving round here which is a reasonably nice area I see a few nicer, more expensive, more exciting, better cars but there's an awful lot more tatty, boring, sensible or just plain rubbish cars around. Despite it's flaws The Z is generally one of the nicer cars about.

If I park up on one of the less salubrious estates near where I work I can guarantee I will get a number of positive comments on the car as they consider the Z something more exotic than the cars they generally see/own. I don't really like parking up there either as the car blatantly stands out as something a bit more special than the other cars around and may attract the wrong kind of attention.

Now if I were to take the Z down to Monte Carlo it would be a completely different story and many would look down there nose at it and consider it "only a 350z". Thing is they would probably also consider a 911 "only a 911" and a GTR "only a GTR", it's all relative!

The fact this **** said what he did only proves that to him it's not "only a 350z" but is a car he is some what jealous of and I would continue to make him jealous by making sure it's always as clean and shiny as possible. Just think how shitty his life must be to have to make comments like that to make himself feel better.

I took the Zed to Monte Carlo last month and it turned more than a few heads - ala - :teeth:

dsc0703g.jpg