Would you buy one? (Updates with pics page 2)

neo-ninja

Howdy all,

As you may have seen I am buying my first house, so am trying to raise as much money as possible without selling anything big like the zed.

So i was thinking of various money making projects to try and raise small - medium amounts of money to do up the house (we need a few things doing).

Sooo with that said a few years back I used to know someone who made Lego guns - yup you read that right LEGO GUNS! that fire lego bricks... Well he has passed me on his guides and for the last year or so i havent really thought about them.

But it suddenly occured to me that for guys who have everything and like gadgets (quite a few peeps who own zeds) they may be interested in owning a fairly unquie cool boys toy.

See images a links below:

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/155152

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/97142

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/126465

So my question is what kind of price if you were interested do you think they would be worth, on Ebay/ here / lego fans etc..

As the guns are life size and actually made up of a serious amount of bricks and other parts, but are 100% lego apart from the elastic bands so they cost a fair bit to build.

But I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts,

Neo

1244574186m_SPLASH.jpg

1254073937m_SPLASH.jpg

1234037934m_SPLASH.jpg

Awesome! Lego is pretty expensive - I reckon it'd be one of those things thats quite expensive and therefore prices itself out of a 'boys toy' type thing.

I can imagine them being forsale of Firebox or IWOOT for about £100 then all being flogged off in the sale.

What kind of cash do you reckon you need to make it work?

If parts are £150 then you'd need to be selling for around £200, which tbh isn't outrageous for what you're getting, it's a lot of money for something that has no official connections at all.

With a very spare £200 I don't think it would put me off, but as a mass market idea it's going to be very limited. I'd probably give it a go regardless as you've got zero initial outlay, and if people go for it then great but if not you haven't lost out. The other idea would be to sell the instructions themselves...

Yeah very true, i think your right, or look at selling slightly smaller guns, i could be wrong part wise. So maybe the best bet is to make a couple work out the cost then do it on a commison basis.

i remember going to MCM EXPO last year and seeing peopel spend hundreds on woodern anime and cos play swords so was mentally trying to work out if people would be willing to spend that on Lego guns.

You would need to go to a relevant show as you suggest to be able to sell them. Maybe comic conventions or alike would also contain your customer base?

yeah thats exactly what im thinking, but its nice to have that confirmed by a few peeps.

Who would buy a Lego gun??? :wacko:

It's ok to look at a pic and think ' That look's cool, someone has spent a lot of time on that', but would I pay c£200 to have one in my house?

No.

I would have a serious think about who would actually buy one of these and then think about the price point. For example, I could see these selling to students, but not for anything near £200 etc etc.............

It's ok to look at a pic and think ' That look's cool, someone has spent a lot of time on that', but would I pay c£200 to have one in my house?

No.

I would have a serious think about who would actually buy one of these and then think about the price point. For example, I could see these selling to students, but not for anything near £200 etc etc.............

lol have you ever been to ComiCon or MCM Expo? people spend £1000s or random home mad steam punk objects replica models and other bits of pieces.

But point noted, as maybe £200 is too much.

No.

lol have you ever been to ComiCon or MCM Expo? people spend £1000s or random home mad steam punk objects replica models and other bits of pieces.

But point noted, as maybe £200 is too much.

I'm sure there are weirdo's out there who would buy them but if they cost you £150 in components, to sell them for £200, you've got to invest £1500 to make ten guns and sell the for £200 (if you can) just to turn a £500 profit. Out of that £500 profit you would need to take out the man hours it takes you to make them.........

I applaud you for looking at stuff like this, just do it on a small scale before you plough money into it...

You may make more selling the plans themselves as individual items, along with a parts list.

People can then raid their current (and probably for those interested in this, extensive) existing technic lego sets, work out which bits they have and which bits they need. The whole project could then work out much cheaper for them. Its then up to them to decide if they want to pursue the project and buy the rest of the bits they need. By which time you already have your £9.99 for the plans, so what do you care if they actually build it or not. :shrug:

Would I fork out £200 for a lego gun. Probably not. Would I pay a tenner for the plans, or do a "three for two" and buy the plans to all three for £20. Yes I probably would. As long as it gave me a parts list for each gun, and in the three pack a parts list that would enable me to build any of the guns. Then I can see what bits I already have, what bits I need and whichever gun I need the least bits for, I can start with that.

Also kids (and parents) that dont have £200 lying around can still get the plans and then add various lists of bits they want to christmas/birthday lists etc etc..

Is this something that can legally be done too? I know they arent exact replicas, but they could still be dangerous, so age restrictions would need to be considered - and also are lego themselves ok with people selling kits to make fake firearms from their product? I'd research that before jumping in. Oh and if it makes you a fortune, then expect your mate to be knocking on the door with a letter from a lawyer too. ;)

I guess the other thing is that it sounds like your at least vaguely passionate about this kind of market and the types of people you'd be selling too.............if its something you would enjoy then its got an added bonus.

You could prob make as much money by buying £500 of crap from poundland and sticking it on ebay for £2 a throw.......but it wouldn't be anywhere near as engaging.

Would you be allowed to sell them as 'lego' guns - I thought Lego name was trademarked. also, I wonder how easy it is to replicate with plans off the internet (and if they are not on there, they likely would be pretty soon).

Interesting idea tho!

I adored lego as a kid, but no way I'd spend £200 on it - BUT, people do spend a fortune on models (and the bikini kind), boats etc so who knows, just look at those crazy magazine build offers - they work out at £400-£500!

Good idea in principle, but the costs will be too high. You can get a real de-activated ak47 for 125quid->600quid, or an uzi for £400. Or, you can get replica`s for a fraction of that - probably for the same price or less than a lego one would cost.

I think someone would have to be a serious lego geek to buy one. Im sure there are adults out there who are into it and would buy one, but it would be a very limited market.

Personally I think those lego guns look really cool, but not my cup of tea!

So lots of very interesting points made, there are several books out there for people who want to make these types of guns, and apparently lego have tried to get them banned etc.. but havent ever been able to...or so i have been told!

Also legally again ive been told nothing they can do about you selling already made guns, no law against selling lego models that arent autheticated by lego and certainly no law against selling lego parts in bulk that happen to be stored in the shape of a gun.

So i guess maybe my best bet would be to make one and see if I can sell it on ebay or Etsy or something.

Thanks for all the feedback, it is basically what i suspected but great to have confirmation that £150-£200 is too high unless you are a lego enthusiast or someone who has that money burning a hole in thier pocket.

How much would a semi automatic handgun type go for? If you could knock them out for £50 or so, you might make a killing (pun intended) :lol:

I saw the videos of these on youtube and sent it to all my mates, who got far too excited about them :lol:

However, i think they should be sold as a kit with instructions, so you have the fun of making it, not a fully assembled gun....

I'm half asleep just now so Iv prob done ur calculations wrong but are u not better doing some overtime instead of spending hours doing this with no guarantee of selling?

How long would it take per gun and how much profit?